RSS Feed Print
'Aggressive' Denial
Barti Ddu
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 6:01 AM

I and my son having noticed signs persuaded my wife to undergo evaluation about 3 years ago, the result was she had strong indications of having Alzheimer
Her response very strong denial and for 2 1/2 years refused any treatment, in fact her comments were if she was"crazy" she'd kill herself.
The disease, being what it is, took care of the issue, she still doesn't admit to a problem, but thanks to a caring physician she now takes medication which, she thinks, is to help her sleep.

elainechem
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 4:43 PM

Welcome to the boards, but I am so sorry for the reason that you are here. I'm glad that your wife is willing to take medication. Her response to the diagnosis is very common. I doubt if she is in denial about it. She probably has a condition called anosognosia. This means that her disease prevents her from realizing that there is anything wrong with her. There is a lot of discussion about anosognosia on the boards. If you do a search for the term, you will learn a lot.
Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 11:20 PM

Welcome to the boards.
Please come back, you will find so much help here. We are good listeners, someone has probably been through what you are going through and can give you helpful information, we learn, we rant, and we laugh together.
Bonnie

storycrafter`
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 9:11 AM

Thank goodness for caring doctors with the skill to work with and assist our loved ones. I hope the meds are helping your wife. It does sound like she has anosognosia. It must be so frustrating to such a caring husband.

Have you found your local resources? Alzheimer support groups? I hope you have one not too far away. They are so helpful with info about resources, etc. There is also a 24/7 help phone line on the Alzheimer site.

I found this site last December when my husband had a crisis with depression. That started a new round of testing and we're still waiting for the neuropsych's written report of fronto temporal dementia. It's been 5 years since dh was forced to quit his high-powered demanding job, suddenly unable to do his job. The doctor/s said depression/severe anxiety causing mild cognitive impairment and it would get better. Nope.... Then he was diagnosed with bi-polar in January this year. I showed the doctors my log of events/behaviors that I started keeping, upon advice from this site, and they FINALLY took it seriously.

Keep reading here; very helpful info and encouragement. And keep posting. I'm interested in how it goes for you. I hope you get the support you need. None of us can do this alone.

CNelson
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 10:15 AM

You are welcome here. As has been stated denial or being oblivious of the encroaching dementia is common. You may be up to speed on what to expect and how to deal with it but I have included a link below "Understanding the Dementia Experience" which was very helpful for me.

http://208.88.4.178/~dementia/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Understanding-the-Dementia-Experience.pdf

alz+
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 2:42 PM

My Dad never said "I know I have dementia" and he was better off not knowing the name for his condition. He was aware of his cognitive losses though. It is different to not accept a diagnosis and yet be aware you need help.

There is information out there on how to support a dementia patient through non confrontation, sort of learning the language of dementia. Worth reading a little in that direction. My first book was called Learning To Speak Alzheimer's.

One other suggestion - my Dad never complained but since I was a massage therapist I had a chance to check his body every week. He loved massage and saunas so that was a great time for us to share. You'll develop a sense of something be off after awhile if not already. Their distress source has to be kind of figured out to relieve it.

Hope you find answers and support here.

much love to and your wife