RSS Feed Print
some words on weight loss
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2012 1:51 AM

I just completed an eight week class on weight loss presented by my medical group.  The cardiologist said I was too fat.  He didn't use that word, he skirted all around trying to avoid saying the "f" word.  But my cholesterol was elevated, for the first time, and my blood pressure was elevated on the echocardiogram stress test. I am short of breath when I walk. My weight is now a medical issue. 

I know how to lose weight.  I know what to eat and how to exercise.  I took this class because I am going backward with my weight.  Last year, 2011, I lost 20 lbs. Then I gained 30.  I know much of the weight gain was from the Cymbalta.  But I've been off Cymbalta  for several months now.   

I journal what I eat, the 5 fruits and vegetables a day, the low fat, low calorie foods, and the exercise sessions.  But I don't write down the candy or the bread or occasional burger and fries that I eat.  Why?  I don't have to eat those foods.   

In fact, they are not a part of my usual diet, they are more like comfort foods.  Why do I need comfort foods?  I ask myself this question several times a day.  I think it's because I feel like, "I'm already losing my memory, why do I have to lose my comfort foods and treats too?" and "I'm losing my mind, why can't I just eat what I want and be happy?" 

But I don't want to give up!  I've GOT to get a handle on my eating!  Stephanie Z, on the Caregiver board, said whenever a senior has a loss, to replace it with something else. I have to find something else to replace my comfort foods and treats.  Something satisfying, not a carrot.  I have apple slices and rice cakes.  Will this be enough? 

Can anyone relate?  Any suggestions? 

Iris L 

SteveSanJose
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:33 PM

It's not just what you eat, I you have to combine it with exercise, and how much you eat. But with me, I am so active I just burned it off. I am on the see food; any food I see I eat. LOL  But I still don't gain weight. I was 6 foot two, 220 pounds, in high school; and I still am. I was an athlete. Football, linebacker; hockey, defenseman; in baseball, shortstop; in high school in college. Tried to add track and field in college, but it was too much and got me in academic problems; so I dropped it. I do try to keep to a Mediterranean diet; lots of seafood, fruits, vegetables, and pasta.
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, March 4, 2012 10:18 PM

It's good you've been able to keep your athletic metabolism, Steve.  You're doing well with the Mediterranean diet.  My idea of the Mediterranean diet is pizza!   

I grew up on good old American food, roasts, chops, and mashed potatoes.  That's what I still want to eat, but I guess I'll have to make some changes. (sigh) 

Iris L.