RSS Feed Print
an uncomfortable encounter
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:49 PM

I had joined the YMCA in December and paid for three months.  I had not gone for January or February because I went to physical therapy instead.  I had planned to skip March and begin again in April.   

The membership manager telephoned me and said I had to pay for March because I had not given 30 days notice.  I told her I did not know about the cancellation policy.  She said it was on the contract.  I told her it should have been pointed out to me when I signed up.   

She brought out the contract to show me the cancellation policy was there in black and white.  I did not want to tell her that I don't read contracts any more, and that even if I had read it, I would not have remembered any of it. 

I feel bad about this.  Most of the time if I have something to sign, I just sign it.  I know that's not the most prudent thing to do, but I know I'm not going to remember or even process huge blocks of text. 

Iris L. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:38 PM

Iris, another opportunity to educate about Early Stage dementia. Let them know how important the exercise or other programs are to one in your condition.
Ask for an exemption.

Don't sign anything else until it is read to you, as slowly as must be and you think you understand.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 11:38 PM

Thanks for the advice, Mimi.  I'll see what I can do in the future. 

Iris L.