RSS Feed Print
3/18 Did you watch 60 minutes?
Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 8:54 AM

Did anyone watch 60 minutes last night? The section on the inability to recognize faces?

As I was watching, it was brought out that people suffering from this disease are missing a specific portion in the brain, as evidenced by an MRI.

So, if we examine folks with AD that can no longer recognize us, would an MRI of their brain show a similar lack in that particular spot?

And has any one of you with the disease have difficulty recognizing people at a distance and they have to be quite close before you realize who they are?  I mean closer than would normally be needed?

eaglemom
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 9:03 AM

I wondered about the same thing.  My thought was most with AD have had several MRI's already, so wouldnt this "finding" have been reported?  Good food for thought.

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 10:48 AM

Not necessarily. It seems this is fairly recent research and it takes awhile to become common knowledge.

Did you have trouble identifying the people when just the face and not the hair was shown? I had great difficulty.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 12:00 PM

I have had trouble recognizing faces for many years.  On the other hand, I can recognize voices better than I can recognize faces.  Go figure!

Iris L.

hopeful30
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 12:15 PM

when i did my neuro testing awhile back, one of the things i could not do was recognize any of the faces she showed me. she would show me a bunch of faces on a roladex thingy and then go back and i didnt recognize even one. i have  had a hard time recognizing faces for awhile, someone i knew would approach me and it was with great difficulty that i even vaguely knew their face. if they had changed anything i didnt know them at all certainly their name or where i knew them. one thing really scared me was at my sisters funeral nearly three years ago, one of my cousins came up to me whom i had literally grown up with and was like a sister, i did not know her at all!!! she was hurt but my face gave away the fact i didnt recognize her, but i knew the other cousin well. my doctor said you can have a long-term memory loss early on, it depends on the person with the disease. thye brain is truly a puzzle! i know i am getting so much worse being able to do the simplest things. last nite i burned my tea pan even with my timer, so i will use the microwave from now on, the smell of burnt metal was overpowering and am surprised my smoke alarm didnt go off!!!
overwhelmed
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:55 AM

I did see the article and also wondered how it might relate to research for Alzheimer's treatments.  

Lets hope and pray all things are being done that can be done to find help in eliminating this awful disease.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:14 AM

hopeful30 wrote:
 i know i am getting so much worse being able to do the simplest things. last nite i burned my tea pan even with my timer, so i will use the microwave from now on, the smell of burnt metal was overpowering and am surprised my smoke alarm didnt go off!!!
Lorene, from now on, stand by the stove when you have to use it, even with the timer.  Do NOT turn away from it.  Do the same with the microwave. 
This is what I do, and it has helped me have confidence in using the stove.  I also turn my hood light on as an additional clue that the stove is on. 
Even if I turn to the refrigerator to put something away, I can forget the stove.  Fortunately for me, my kitchen is small, and as long as I stay close to the stove and micro, I'm all right. 
I had a small fire in my microwave 2 years ago so I'm afraid to leave it operating alone.
Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 11:21 AM

hopeful30 wrote:
 one thing really scared me was at my sisters funeral nearly three years ago, one of my cousins came up to me whom i had literally grown up with and was like a sister, i did not know her at all!!! she was hurt but my face gave away the fact i didnt recognize her, but i knew the other cousin well.
I have often wondered if the reason there is such a stigma about Alzheimer's disease is because other people take memory lapses so personally. 
Not recognizing people is why I don't like being around people too much anymore.  I don't like other people's negative reactions to my memory lapses.
Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:53 PM

Today I heard of a story I would like to pass along. 

This brave woman, after her diagnosis, stood in front of her church congregation and told them.

Then she said, Some of you are wondering what to say to me now. Please keep talking to me, I do appreciate conversation.

Then she said: there will come a time when I won't recognize you and maybe I won't even be able to talk to you. But, please keep talking to me. 

Wow!!!

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 1:14 AM

I wonder how they reacted to her? 

Iris L.