RSS Feed Print
Welcome Allthat54 and ALL new members
Geegee
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 4:36 PM

We want to welcome each new member to to encourage you to come often for any support you may need.  Our Message Board can be a great support system for you.  We are so glad you found us!   

If you want to interact more with those members who care for a loved one (Loved One) please go to the Spouse/Partner Forum.  We look forward to learning more about each of you and interact with you if you need  help as you deal with this devastating disease.

Allthat54,

I read your first brief post and I want to welcome you.  I'm so sorry to hear that you recently lost your Mother.  In addition to your loss, you say that your brother who has AD is now living with you.  Regretfully, you have some large adjustments in your day to day living following the sorrow of losing your Mother.

At the bottom of this page, you can select "Local Resources" and find your local chapter and what they offer in your area.  

If you need to speak with someone, please call the 24/7 Helpline and ask for a Care Consultant.  800-272-3900 where you have master level social workers and others to help.

Also, Please read the Spouse/Partner Forum for additional insight and help from others that are caring for a love one on a daily basis.

Have you been legally appointed  as your brother's guardian and do you have Power of Attorney for his health care and legal affairs?  If not, look for al Elder Atty. who can advise you.

Be sure to take care of yourself so you can have the strength and patience needed.  

Online, you can find the 28 page book by Jennifer Ghent-Fuller titled "The Dementia Experience" .    It's a good starting point to find information about what you need to know to make your life easier because of understanding.  

Glad you found us.  Let us all help.