RSS Feed Print
Been on this journey for four years
Tony R.
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:01 PM

My wife is 56 and finally dx little over three years ago. She has not been able to read or write for a couple of years. We go through most of the same issues as others on this site, but she has a problem seeing something when pointed out to her. I talked to the neurologist about this and he said he had not run across this before, her eyes have been checked. If you keep showing her the object she will usually see it, then some times she just cannot see it. Has anyone else came across this problem.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:19 PM

Welcome, Tony.  This is visual agnosia.  The part of the brain that deals with vision does not interpret visual signals, even though the eyes function normally.  This is part of dementia. 

Tony, be sure to visit all of the message boards.  There is a board where  spouses and partners, including many husbands, post and receive more support.  Here is a link to their thread on "Vision Difficulties":
http://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?tid=2147498646&g=posts&t=2147498598

Iris L.

chuckkill
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:24 PM

My wife was diagnosed in 2008 and has the similar issues with not seeing things that are right in front of her.  I had researched this issue and have not come across this issue as a symptom.  My wife also is having trouble finding the correct words when speaking.  Does anyone know which stage of Alzheimers these issues usually happens?
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 6:34 PM

Welcome, chuckkill.  Here is a link to learn the stages of Alzheimer's disease:

http://www.alzinfo.org/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers 

Please be sure to visit the Spouse/Partner message board.  There are many spouses and partners there who will support you.

Iris L.

Tony R.
Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2013 9:15 PM

Thanks this really helps me understand a little better what she is going through