RSS Feed Print
Working part time and SSDI advice
pjvdmv
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 12:11 AM

Hi-

I have been visiting the message boards for months.  My husband just turned 55 - I believe MCI set in 3 years ago.  He had a demanding job and always lamented that he was not able to keep up with the work.  It often stressed him out.  After he was laid off and was around the family more we all started to notice his memory flaws.  A sense of apathy that brought on many arguments.  I noticed indifference about meal times, the kids, and our relationship.  He had difficulty filling out online employment applications if I was not nearby to help him.  Throughout this period he held 4 different management jobs only to loose them with in 3-4 months time.  He never had trouble getting the job because his long term memory and strong acumen is still intact.  

1 year ago we finally went back to our primary care doctor and insisted there was something wrong.  He did some basic office pen and paper testing and assured my husband he never looked better and that his loss of memory was common.  After getting another job only to loose it 4 months later we went back and were finally given the referral to a Neurologist.  It was through the interview process and evaluation of blood work and MRI that we received the MCI diagnosis.  As this year progressed so did the symptoms.  He tried job retraining in a less demanding field only to frustrate himself and put additional strain on the family.  Up until May I had no idea we were headed towards an Alzheimers diagnosis, but that was about the time that the reality hit me like a Mack truck.  

The diagnosis came in on July 14th and I immediately applied for SSDI.  I want to move to place were my husband can take advantage of support groups and the therapy the doctors prescribed.  He is currently working 2 part time jobs just to bring in some money. He will not quit because he knows we need the money.  I am afraid that he will get fired from these jobs because of his issues with memory. Worse  I am also afraid that SS will see him working and deny the claim.  Can anyone tell us how this process works? How long can we expect to wait.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 1:07 AM

Welcome pvjdmv.  If you search this board someone posted a similar question several months ago and received good advice.  The Alzheimer's Association has collaborated with Social Security to enable patients with a diagnosis of Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease to receive Compassionate Allowance in order to receive SSDI benefits.  I don't know if that applies to a diagnosis of MCI. 

How thorough was the evaluation?  Did it include blood tests, imaging studies, and a six hour neurocognitive examination?

Also, he probably won't be considered to be disabled if he is still working.

Iris L.

eaglemom
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 8:16 AM

Welcome to the boards.  Although I'm sorry you are here.  You will find the support that as caregivers we need on the boards.

As for the SSDI the process sometimes seems overwhelming, but stick with it.  I would encourage you to go to the SSDI website and read up.  Try not to be overwhelmed - simply familiarize with SSDI information.  There are some limits / restrictions on how much one can work.  The process varies on how long it can take. 

I realize I've not answered your questions - but rather directed you to another website.  For that I am sorry but read up and come back with your questions.  Many here have waded through the process.  If I'm remembering correctly DH's SSDI was 'fast tracked' and took several months.  Also many are rejected when they first apply - make certain you appeal that decision.

pjvdmv
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 8:24 AM

Hi Iris. Let me clarify. alll three of the tests were conclusive. On July 14th he received the diagnosis of a progressive neurodegenerative disorder most resembling an early onset  Alzheimer's.   He wants to continue this job because he feels like he is going to get better and because of the financial impact of recent years. I tried to assure him that disability would kick in but I am not sure I am giving him the right advice.   Does this diagnosis fit under the compassionate claim. And if so can he still earn under a thousand a month and qualify. 

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 12:45 PM

Eaglemom gave good advice to check the SSDI website.  Also the Alzheimer's Association provides a Helpline staffed with Care Consultants who might be able to answer your specific questions.  The number is 800-272-3900 and there is someone available 24 hours a day.

There is good SSDI information on this thread from a few days ago:

http://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147499182

Iris L. 

pjvdmv
Posted: Monday, August 5, 2013 6:20 PM

Thanks for the additional references. I will go through them all and keep you posted