RSS Feed Print
what to do about people who waste my time?
Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:52 PM

The people in my life are making my life harder without realizing it.  I got two calls early this morning (Sunday) from people wanting to chit-chat and make small talk.  The problem?  I am very easy to get distracted from the things I need to do.   

I already have difficulty in initiating tasks and constructive activities.  Basically they wasted my precious morning time for two hours, talking about nothing in particular.  I got nothing done the rest of the day except for my walk.   

I'm too polite to tell them they're wasting my time.  What to do?  I'm just going to not pick up the telephone for a few days. 

Question:  Do people in your life help you or hinder you?  Do they understand it takes you longer to get things done?

I'm getting very frustrated and close to agitated.  I'm not usually like this!

Iris L.

shirleywhirley
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 7:15 AM

Hello, I have the same problem.  I am too nice to say anything also.  I keep hinting during the conversation that I need to get back to what I was doing and this person says "ok."  But then continues on.

I get up at 4 a.m. to get ready for work and am in bed by at least 8:30, especially in the winter when it is dark and cold as all heck outside.  I am tired.  Well, this person who calls constantly, calls after 8 pm and if I don't answer the phone she continues talking saying, I know you are there, if you are able, come to the phone..

I have enough to do without jabbering for over an hour about how wonderful her life is.

Thanks for listening.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 10:33 AM

Shirley, I know what you mean.  I used to get calls waking me up in the morning to chit-chat.  I finally turned the ringer off in the bedroom, so I won't be awakened.   My calls go to voicemail.  This won't work for everyone.

My sleep and my rest are very important to me, because I suffer from lupus and chronic fatigue.  This is a health issue.  I won't allow another to destroy my health.

Iris L.

vrswesley
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 12:55 PM

Sometimes answering machines help if you can use them to screen calls..you just dont answer.. turning off the ringer is a good option too.
Paul Hornback
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 1:04 PM

I agree. I just let calls go to the answering machine or voice mail whenever I don't want to be disturbed or am having a difficult day. If it is important, they will call again or I'll listen to the message and call them back. Otherwise, I ignore the call until I'm thinking better.

God Bless, Paul

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 7:21 PM

Thanks, Violet and Paul.  You're right, I don't have to answer the phone. 

I'm doing better this evening.  Today, I was able to do my marketing, and write some thank you notes I had been putting off.  I'm doing the laundry now.  I'm feeling more in control.

It just takes me much longer to do the same chores and tasks.  And the low back pain doesn't help.  But I'm carrying on!

Iris L.

shirleywhirley
Posted: Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:11 AM

Iris L.  I hope you are doing well today.  You are always there when I have a post and a problem.  You've helped me a lot.

I think I will turn off the ringer after about 7:30 pm that way it won't disturb me.  Some days I just don't want to talk to anyone, especially after dealing with "people" at work.  When I do go ahead and take a phone call at home, if I am not in a good mood, the call riles me up even more and then I really cannot relax.

Happy holildays to all.

jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:13 AM

I feel no obligation ever to answer the phone. Leave a message to send you a text/or a message that says you will call back shortly when you have time to visit. All you friends ill understand.