RSS Feed Print
return after a long hiatis
TheoT
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:40 PM

Speaking of  living on a roller coaster... I'm back!! Here is the route I have taken:

1) 1983 to 2008: Used to be a Sr. Engineer for a fortune 100 company

2) 2005:  Let go due to "Reduction in Force" effort. All of my product lines were moved to China.

3) 2008: Diagnosed with Early On-Set Alzheimers. This 2 1/2 year evaluation was culminated with a PET scan ans 2nd opinion from Johns Hopkins.

4) Served as a Peer Volunteer 2008 to 2011

5) Had a hard time adjusting my drugs. Spent a couple nights in jail, 1 month in a hospital in Philadelpia designed to help people change their drug theropies.

6) Released to a Sr. Living facility. Moved around twice until finding "the right" spot.

7) 3 years since being active in this forum I have returned. Sometimes I feel that my meds need attention still.

Later...

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 12:54 AM

Keep on keeping on, Ttom!  It's great to see another old member from the old board. 

Keep working on your meds.  You'll hit the right combination.

I hope you continue to stay with us.  Don't be a stranger!

Iris L.

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:15 PM

Hi, TheoT or Ttom. So good to hear from you again. I very much appreciated your posts, particularly when I first began on this site.  I hope you will continue to post. I've noticed a decline in me in the last 3 months. It's a bummer!
Be Strong 2
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 8:34 AM

Tom,

Welcome back. You were here when my wife started this journey and I came here. It is good to hear from you. May you continue to find solutions to your med combinations. 

Remember, we're all in the same boat; and the darn thing leaks!

Bob  

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 10:11 AM

Hello there Tom, and welcome back.

My goodness, you have had one dickens of a last few years.  It is great that things have evened out for you. 

I remember all the wonderful photos of you with your grandkids and family.  How is everything going for you on a personal basis?  I'm trying to remember; are you in Pennsylvania?  I cannot quite recall.

In any case, HURRAY for Tom, and we are all so glad you thought of us and are here. 

We will be looking forward to talking with you more;

Johanna

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 11:50 AM

And it is so wonderful to have you back. And I hope to chat with you on Canid's monthly phone meeting.

NB: if any of you with AD live in PA want to join our monthly chat, please the Greater PA Aliz. Assoc.  If you need the # call our help line 1-800-272-3900.

And now I know why two Ts.

I'm still trying to insure no other person with AD spends a single hour in jail. Sad to say, I'm not having any success. 

Geegee
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 7:38 AM

Tom, I'm glad you started a new thread to bring us up to date.  Everyone has missed you, and "us old timers" are hoping you meet some of our newest members and PV's.

Are you able to manage the boards and responses without help?  No matter how you are doing it, we don't want you to go away. 

Keep working with the meds.  Thinking of you!  Take care.

Sheryl726
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 11:22 AM

Tom,

So very good to see your post.

I have been in Louisiana for visit with Mother and am now back home in Georgia

I know that has all happened while you have been away.

Became the poster child for now taking care of myself and crashed.

Life does remain interesting doesn't it.

Take care and keep on keeping on.

Hugs,

Sheryl

Paul Hornback
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2014 4:23 PM

Tom, I fairly new to the boards. Been on them about 6-7 months I think. Glad you have joined back in. We needed some more guys on the boards!!

God Bless, Paul

TheoT
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:11 PM

Mimi S. wrote:

I'm still trying to insure no other person with AD spends a single hour in jail. Sad to say, I'm not having any success. 

My stay might have been avoided if the state of PA had a better understanding of the disease. But it would almost be impossible to train all of the first responders. After all it took 2 1/2 years of professional evaluation before the pros could make the call.
What I needed was a change in my Seroquel dosage. They added something else but don't recall what it was. 

Ttom

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:34 PM

I'm glad Seroquel is working for you, tTom.  Can you tell us what other meds you are on, if any, and what your day is like?   

Are you able to engage in activities?   

Are you able to exercise?

What do you feel has helped you the most on this journey?

Iris L.

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:38 AM

Ttom, do you wear a Medical Alert bracelet?  If not, please consider getting one.  

I've worn one for 4 years and in the back of the medallion is engraved "Memory Impaired".  I suspect medics and maybe law enforcement will recognize the bracelet and understand that my behavior may be related to AD. The medallion  also contains my first name, a serial number, and an 800# that connects to Medic Alert. When the medics/law enforcement/other calls the 800# and provides the serial number, they will provide my emergency contacts and other information. 

TheoT
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 12:24 PM

Iris L. wrote:

I'm glad Seroquel is working for you, tTom.  Can you tell us what other meds you are on, if any, and what your day is like?   

Are you able to engage in activities?   

Are you able to exercise?

What do you feel has helped you the most on this journey?

My reply: 

I started taking Seroquel in 2008 at a 25mg dose. They have gradually increased the dosage. This last time it went from 200 mg to 600 mg. 

I try to exercise but get tiered easy with the new dosage of meds.  

I think the dosage change and my new evnvoiroment at the Woods of Cedar Run have been good for me. I feel safe and comfortable here.  

Myriam wrote:  

Ttom, do you wear a Medical Alert bracelet? 

My reply:

Now that I'm at the Woods I do ware a call button and the staff is well aware of my situation. I live in the "Senior Living section. A  Medic Alert bracelet might have changed my experience.   On second thought... maybe not as my wife was screaming at the arresting officer informing of my condition. It was "sundowning" on a Saturday night. No qualified people were around until Monday morning. 

http://integracare.com/Woods_Cedar_Run.asp

Ttom 

Myriam
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:20 PM

Ttom, it looks like a great place to be with lots of activities.
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 1:30 PM

Thanks for the update, tTom.  Ceder Run looks like a great facility to live in!  I wish it were closer to me.

Iris L.