RSS Feed Print
what to do with your days?
alz+
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 1:52 PM

Since I was a little girl I have loved rocks. I used to look for giant boulders and lie on them in the sun, feeling their strength and silent power.

Recently I joined an online FB group for people who hunt agates around the great lakes.

The photos! I did not know how many people enjoy rock hunting. So on my walks on the dirt roads and around this old hill I started looking for rocks. I now have a collection of about 150 rocks on the front porch. What a joy. Keeper knows I like my solitude and so we set up a situation where I can go pick and hunt with the dog to my content and then he comes in the car to haul rocks and me and dog home. 

The dog is impressed that I finally learned the joy of digging.

I wash them, and turn them in my hands. I take pictures of them and learned to wet them first to bring out the striations and colors. The rocks are quiet and ancient. It gives me such peace to be lost in the search for and cleaning of rocks. I am learning about what I have collected and reading up on geology of our area.

When we go wading at the lakes I always search for rocks. Now it is a new hobby which requires solitude, contemplation, no talking. It is treasure hunting, and exploring nature's beauty.

I was worried a few weeks ago when I had difficulty reading a novel - what would I ever do without reading?!! Well, hunt rocks.  

Also used to be a gardener but the work is too heavy for me now. Keeper knew I wanted to plant some lavender seeds from last year so he prepared the pots. I made the hole and put in the seed. He waters them. Every day I check on the seedlings. That is my new gardening and I love it as much as when I could make compost and put up fencing and haul water.

I did not have much of a childhood and I am now really enjoying becoming a little girl. 

After first diagnosed I spent a few hours lost in sorting a bedside table drawer. I remember that day for the extreme peace I found in being in the moment. I am learning to seize the day in small ways, which used to seem "lesser" to me. Now I remember being a child and spending hours by myself  with my little worm farm, daydreaming in sunshine with a dog while lying in front of a sunny window. 

If we can put aside our fears for an hour to test the waters of accepting our minds as they are processing differently now, we can find ourselves again. Life is full of opportunity to be kind, to bring cheerfulness, to participate in new ways.

I highly recommend you find a hobby that suits your natural inclinations.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 2:29 PM

I used to have many hobbies and interests.  One of the symptoms that something was wrong was that I no longer did any of my interests.  I read a story about a woman, Phoebe Snetsinger, who got a terminal diagnosis of less than six months.  She decided to search for birds--all the birds in the world.  She lived for many years afterwards.  I think it is a great idea to focus on an interest that can become a consuming interest.  If not consuming, then fulfilling.

I do have a couple of such interests, but I am stuck now in taking care of unfinished business.  I am just at the point where I can function cognitively and exertionally sufficiently enough to get things done.  Thank you, Best Practices!  But I am looking forward to proceeding on my interests.

I'm glad you mentioned rock hunting.  The local senior center has a machine for stone polishing and grinding and other lapidary pursuits.  I might have to look into that.  There is another hobby that you might like.  I learned about the Cloud Appreciation Society from my senior computer class.  They look at clouds and see what they resemble.  You can google if you are interested.  You don't have to join, but looking at the posted clouds is fascinating, too.  Best of all, appreciating clouds is free!

Iris L.

BillBRNC
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 5:18 PM

In my younger years, I used to do all types of things like cycling, running, tennis, martial arts (4th degree black belt), hiking, camping, skiing, and all kinds of stuff. As I got older, I had to stop many of these due to bad knees, injuries, getting older. Now at 65, my two favorite pastimes are banjo playing/singing and walking in the woods or out in nature. I used to like to cook, but I can't remember anything anymore to cook. I just hope I can keep up with banjo and walking for a long time to come. I'm really anxious to add a dog to the mix, as that will be something I can enjoy to the bitter end. I just don't care much for tv, movies and reading anymore either. We all do what we can do, and that is the best we can do.
alz+
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2016 8:03 PM

cloud appreciation society! I am in! SOOO jealous of having a cutting and polishing machine where you are. There are Rock Shops around me and I think the guys there will identify my rocks and slice any worth it for small fee.

Bill - you live where there are excellent rocks. and excellent clouds.

Hope your dog is fun. I have had so many great dogs, the one I have now is very cooperative and big enough I won't hurt her if I trip over her, and does not yap bark over nothing. If she barks it is because someone is passing by or coming up driveway or there is a dog friend out and about. Never for nothing.

Maybe it will sing when you play banjo?!

Love to everyone. 

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2016 8:54 PM

There are some beautiful rocks. Put some weed block down somewhere and make yourself a nice rock garden. I collected a few rocks here and there. I painted scenery on a few larger ones to decorate the garden and let my granddaughter paint some of them. I painted a scene of an ocean and liked the way you could just go with the natural shape of the rock. It's like you can't make a mistake if you go along with the natural shape. I also purchased some polished stones along with fake glow in the dark stones. I went to this place called Blue Rock Mountains where there was miles and miles of rocks that glowed blue in the moonlight. My granddaughter was a tot and she loved to play with the rocks. She would go searching for rocks when we took her out. She was always giving us rocks like they were presents!
llee08032
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:54 AM

And then there was Diesel my rock chewing dog. He stole the landscaping rocks all the time. I was concerned he would choke, break his teeth or swallow a rock. He loved them and tried to sneak in the house with really big rocks clenched in his teeth. I would hear this thunder like noise in the house and it would turn out to be Diesel rolling this big rock around the floor! He would chew really hard on the rocks and it was a difficult task trying to distract him and getting a rock away from him. He liked big rocks and if he found a big rock while walking he would try to bring it back. I oftentimes came home from work to find a not from the dog sitter that Diesel brought a rock in the house and he was not giving it up!

Sound like I may need another dog to love? Doggie eye contact is the best! 

KKD
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 12:52 PM

Dogs rock!!  And it sounds like you had a rock dog!  LOL  I love it
alz+
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 5:22 PM

Diesel was a Rock Hound! wish I could train my dog to sniff out agates and precious stones. I like the rocks she dug the other day. 

I am interested in the blue rocks that glow - ?  When Mister and I would go to desert I used to roam the vacant lot next to the place where we stayed. Not much but I did find an owl home and they would come out and watch me. I brought them a water bowl and kept water in it. 

When my grandkids came out to visit me there all it took was one invitation and they were fascinated  with the rock hunting! I stored their collections on the deck. Forgot about that until you mentioned your grand daughter loving rocks.

Then there are the living things under the rocks!

I paid a road crew to bring me boulders when they tore up the roads a few years ago.

Our yard is big and messy, more dandelions than grass.

I also get super relaxed washing the smaller rocks in kitchen sink. Water changes their appearance, you can see all kinds of detail that disappears when dry.

I still do not know how to recognize an agate unless it has been sea polished and with a hundred people out picking shoreline everyday there is a lot of competition.

Gemstones are known for emitting certain energy.

For not I am content finding weird ones. I am thinking of painting rocks now that you mentioned this. My neighbors painted a small boulder, good idea.

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 10:46 AM

Back when dirt roads still had agates in them, I loved collecting them with the kids.  We'd come home from walk with pockets and shirt front full of them. 

I liked putting polyeurathane on them keep them wet looking.  I think you can get it in a spray now. 

For me, it is flowers...an in particular native flowers.  I am on a mad hunt for a place I can dig up a wild columbine an milkweed add my collection.  Some one...the city tree guy...let me know of a nursery that specializes in native plants...woot woot. 

alz+
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2016 10:57 AM

SUN!

Even when you write about your fun of hunting wild flowers and your dream of a garden of them I can feel the shift in energy.

It is not just my idea that playing makes life so good. People who have emotional problems quickly forget about them when they get their hands in dirt and start planting, or tending plants.

I watched a documentary (? maybe read this) about the life of trees - most of a tree is beneath the soil and the roots emit signals to other trees miles away.

Also watched video on how sound affects the nature of things, cells, atoms.

https://youtu.be/wvJAgrUBF4w

which answers how music takes us "to another place" getting lost in music...plus the tone and energy of voices speaking to us or at us.

If into weird, look up "Coral Castle" and how an old man lifted giant many tons of coral into place using sound.

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 7:02 AM

Digging in the dirt, planting and tending flowers is healing and therapeutic. I was just wondering what my neighbors would think if I put a rock garden in the middle of my lawn. It seems like some folks have relationships with their lawn also. My next door neighbor has had an allergic reaction when doing yard work for the past two summers and I wonder if it is from the chemicals used to treat the lawn. I do not wish to be in competition with my lawn with the neighbors. Just give me the flowers, rocks and the healing gardens!
Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:12 AM

A few years ago my daughter took me on a garden tour in the LA area The emphasis was on spaces that were dessert prone plants.  Some had replaced those water guzzling green lawns with beautiful native flora.

Here in the Northeast we strive for deer resistance species.  Even before I weeded they found my black eyed Susan's.  

My day lilies are sometimes immune 

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:43 AM

This brings back memories.  I was a big rock hound as a kid.  Over time I amassed such a cool collection, and I had found them all by myself.  Every trip; going to the mountains, to other states, when a road crew dumped rock before a road was being put in; there I was, digging around looking for interesting rocks.

I had golden quartz, some agates, rocks with sheets of mica, raw copper, fools gold, and amongst many other speciments were my favorite - fossils!  I had found actual shell fossils embedded in rock, and also had several good sized pieces of wood fossils; they were awesome.  I read library books on rocks and minerals so I would know something about what I was finding.   Mainly, it was a joy to search and find.

Then one day, I took my entire collection to school for a science show and tell sort of thing.  While we students were out on schoolgrounds for lunch, someone got into the classroom and stole my entire collection.  I was heartbroken.

I still love rocks and when near the ocean after a storm, I love the ones that wash up that are oddly shaped and have holes worn in them from the wave activity over long periods of time; I always wonder where they came from on their journey.

One of our former neighbors had his entire back yard as a Japanese rock garden; he raked it each day and put patterns into them as tradition required.  It was beautiful.

I would love to see some of the painted rocks; I am not an artist and admire those who can do this.

J.

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 8:53 AM

Images for Japanese Rock Gardens:

click here

Ideas for creative rock painting:

click here

How I wish I were this smart:

click here

Such clever and creative people!

J.

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 9:19 PM

Jo,

Beautiful and amazing!

alz+
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:01 PM

the urge to paint rocks -

hey check out aboriginal rock paintings! earliest fr of art we know of, or that lasted.

somebody help me spend some money on a couch today. I've been waiting to feel like I "deserve this nice furniture" instead of cheap crap for months. I like it, it is local, it won't make me starve, and yet...money spent on comfort and pleasure? I used to do it when I worked so much, now it feels like I am taking money away from other people who would want it in the bank account.

This is like a big step in feeling the rest of my life is not about saving other people distress only, but equally for me to have a comfortable place to lie down during day.

please somebody kick me in the but and I'll rework the mental BS later!

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:03 PM

A couch is not going to bankrupt you and destroy your legacy, Alz+.  Go ahead, have a great spot to put your feet up on.  You deserve it!

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 2:21 PM

Johanna, what beautiful images!  I should get out my paint set.

Iris L.

Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 4:00 PM

Wouldn't it be so much fun for all of us to get together and have a good old rollicking rock painting party?

We would all have our rocks to paint around a large table together; and we could have scrumptious goodies to eat and beverages of choice.

Lots of laughter and talking up a storm and lots of good looking rocks.  Who knows - I may even want to paint myself . . . oh gads, I can just see us now - what a hoot!

Alz+ dear friend, do not go climbing up the guilt hill and pitch a tent there.  That new sofa is a boon to how you feel and it will give SO much pleasure - that is a mental health tool.  Enjoy the heck out of it and know what?  You deserve it!  You will love the way it looks each time you pass by, it will smell that new furniture smell, and will be comfy cozy and you will feel so good.  Hurray for you!  Let's hear it for the new sofa!

J.

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2016 8:56 PM

Treat yourself to the cozy, comfy new couch! No need to say you deserve it because you already know that....no need to say with new paint and new floors the old couch stands out like a sore thumb and nags the heck out of you! Get the couch and scrimp on something else to make yourself feel better. Get the couch and enjoy the couch...imagine sinking into the couch and how relaxed you feel. Your feeling it and seeing it in your mind and now you have to buy the couch...
The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 6:57 AM

Llee, that sounds amazing.  One trend peop are start around here is bee gardens their front yards.  An I am particularly fond of idea of ground covers that you can walk on rather than grass.  I personally hate mowing.  Creeping thyme makes a wonderful light purple bloom. 

Alz+, we just got a couch my mom that is super comfy...at the most reasonable price from HOM stores.  It might take you going in there an siting on them...which I highly recommend.  We tried by her a cheap one some where else first...but what we got was a horrible hard rock, had fight with them return it.  My mom's was a 50's specific look...but they had a bunch, an they were comfortable.  We did a lot shopping round...I found HOM had best overall quality an prices an good looks.  Hope that helps save you some time.  An YES, you deserve a nice place sit an lay down!!!

<3

alz+
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2016 7:26 PM

I appreciate the kicks in the butt and I did buy the couch.

Just at the moment of sale I ask her about the spray protection for $50 and she says, "oh that is $50 a cushion." This spray-on professional grade fabric protection supposedly does not smell, does not change softness of fabric, allows spills to wipe off so it eliminated my fear Keeper would dump food and coffee on it and then I would be Very Upset)

I said, "yesterday it was $50 for the couch treatment," and she got all weird and I got all weird and I said, "I'm not liking this. I wanted a couch to suit me, it was a big deal, I'm not going there if things are changing in sale price."

then she spoke to my husband and he said "$50 to spray the whole couch" and I walked outside to breathe.

So next week some day it will come, the old cheap failure furniture goes to basement or garage sale.

Mister is off key lately and I am on uncertain grounds. Think I need to sleep 12 hour to recover, although I have wet my pants twice in 2 days...maybe I know when I should get up and head to bathroom but I am very slow to get started. Or a UTI. Or hot outside.

I wanted fish fry takeout tonight but he said we have no money now for that. OK.

Need to sleep. Thank you all so much for making it clear a couch is like a house in my house, where I can live.

L lee - I like how you mention that I can use imagination to make myself more comfortable, imagine what it would be like to be comfortable, imagine the outcome I want. Very useful. Every time you say that it feels so fresh!

love you all

alz+
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 11:29 AM

Update on my relating to rocks:

I joined 3 online fb groups related to rock hunting and all 3 groups are FREE of anger, taunting, mocking or shaming...the political articles I was reading and their comment sections used to get me wound up tight.

so have gotten encouragement to stop looking for 10 pound agates and pick the rocks I love.

and now I notice people have relationships with rocks, favorites, make sculptures, gardens, wash them, polish, show and trade, and admire them.

When someone stole Jo C rock collection - that was more than rocks, she had collected them.

I was feeling blue this morning so went to a special field with my dog and put some big rocks in a pile, then we went to the pond and I sat on the giant green stone where my friend and I used to sit to watch the turtles and ducks. The heat from that massive boulder was like my best friend for the  moment. 

They do not use words, they let me handle them, pry them out of ground, look at them. I can not hurt them or irritate them. And this solitary joy I find is true of most all rock collectors.

I also found mushrooms in tall grass as it stormed last night. Magnificent. Now I feel more grounded and am resting for the afternoon. 

Love you all!

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 2:29 PM

Ah, alz+; you have peeked through the veil and caught the essence of it all.  There is just something about the planet and the gifts it gives.

When I look at true gems; diamonds, rubies, sapphires, I like to see them unset and glowing and realize that nature did this all on her own.  There is a special safe room in one of our local museums where they have such items and large ones at that. The room is all black and unlit except for the glass cases with beams of light shining down upon the myriad of gems, it is pretty breathtaking to realize this all came from the ground.

I did feel strongly about the rocks in my collection, I found all of those amazing specimens when I was a kid and did it all by myself.  Searching, digging, lifting them up to examine; putting some back down where they belonged, but then suddenly finding that golden quartz, agates, copper, shiny sheets of mica in rocks that I could separate with my fingernail; but best of all were those fossils.  I searched wherever I went.  

Even finding those small to medium rocks at the sea with the holes worn through them and their misshapen forms secondary to the ocean waves which had sculpted them; it is a delight.

My greatest affection is for trees.  Love, love, love trees.  I was raised in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and spent much time in the forest.   I could sit by the hour just listening to the sound of the wind soughing through the leaves of the mighty oaks, birches maples, beech, etc.  I could hear their whispers and knew it was a secret conversation between them that I was privy to.

We had big oaks outside our home when I was small, and I used to be found hugging them.  Well; they were mighty and made beautiful breeze driven shadows on the wall of my bedroom when the sun shone through their boughs, and they lulled me to sleep during naptime.

My favorite of all is to go to the amazing redwood forests.  I've been multiple times and can tell you that it feels like a very spiritual place when you are out of the tourist area.  I would place my hand on them and silently let them know how much I appreciated them.  They sometimes got hugs from grownup me.  What the heck, who was going to tell on me, the birds?

Redwoods:  click here

I was also privileged to hike through the Hoh Rain Forest in Oregon, we did not take paved trails.  What an odd and unique place!   It rains over 12 feet of rain there per year; it is just the most surprising and amazing place and very other-worldly.  They shot some of the Star Wars movies up there.  The ferns can grow as tall as a man and the moss hangs from the tree boughs; everything is green, green, green; even the air feels green.   Here are some photos:  click here

When nature is calm, and we are quiet of voice and quiet of spirit and especially when alone, we can really feel the spirit of it all.

We spend too much time in the noise of our lives; such special moments are a gift, I am glad you were able to go out and connect with your special place.  Say hello to it for me next time you are there.

J.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 6:51 PM

Thanks for the virtual vacations, Johanna!  

O, to live in the pristine forest!

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 9:39 PM

Jo C - I live in U.P.  did not know you grew up here!

I am 4th generation yooper - when people go missing they are often found hugging trees.

When I lived in Florida I lived where there were woods. In back of my house were 40 ft pines.

I decided to put in an exercise pool and the guys came to check site and marked 2 of those pines t come down. I knew when he did that the trees went in shock. The next morning both trees were covered in sap running towards the ground, gobs of it.

I did hug the trees - still feel for them, they were all kind of the same age.

Even leaf collecting and pressing is calming. For some reason I am in need of calming influences past few days. I think the tension over spending money on a couch is bothering me among other things. 

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 8:16 AM

Omigosh; alz+, you're a Yoop! I sure am a Yooper; I'm a third generation.  I grew up in a tiny town in Marquette County.  Iron ore mining was the primary business there.  Sadly, my maternal grandfather was killed in one of the mines.  One of the other Peer Volunteers, Bob, was also born a Yooper.

I loved going to Presque Isle and dipping my toes in Lake Superior.  There is a beautiful monument on Presque to the very last Indian Chief, Kawbawgam, of the local Chippewa Tribe that lived on Presque.  It can be found amongst the trees next to the water, the grave simply marked with a large stone with a plaque on it.  I always visited it and paid my respects.  Here's a link, but the paper spelled his name wrong:

www.examiner.com/slideshow/the-grave-site-of-chief-charley-kawbamgam#slide=6

Bring on the pasties!  I haven't made them in years, but oh so good.  That and saffron bread, and cardamom sweet rolls.  I really miss the beauty and the scent of lilacs, they cannot grow where I now live, it is not cold enough.  Most of my extended family moved out of state, and my last relative there passed away several years ago so I have not been back for a few years now. 

My favorite time to go home was in beautiful autumn and when I would go to visit, that was the time I planned to be there . . . I missed the season so much that my brother actually sent me some framed autumn leaves so I could have a bit of it with me.

One of the other Peer Volunteers, Bob, was also born a Yooper.  Small world.  But oh; those winters!  I practically lived at the Carnegie Library and curled up with books on those cold winter nights.

It sounds as though you have been having a bit of those darned "megrims."  Your instincts are good; being outside weather permitting and quietly visiting nature is good for the spirit and the soul.  When I get the megrims, I find that finding a way to keep my thoughts distracted works best for me.   Distraction; odd isn't it, we spend so much of our lives being focused only to find out that distraction can be a great big positive.

This is the week of the new sofa!  Can't wait to hear all about it.  Take good care of you; after all, you are very, very important to us.

Big hugs coming to you,

J.

alz+
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 8:36 AM

Jo C - very anxious about sofa being delivered.

hiding in bed so I don't have to speak to or see delivery guys. Afraid to look at it!

The Carnegie libraries are still a hang out place, pasties still excellent, bugs flying in mighty swarms.

I tried to get away, I did get away but nothing ever seemed like home but here.

My Mother gave me a grave as a gift, very small.

I have yet to go to Isle Royale, we thought we would go to Calumet this summer but, you know, I'll just be riding the couch. Unless it does not fit through door.

So we both share a serious be prepared nature. Now I love you more.

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2016 9:44 AM

Alz+, I really do understand being anxious about the new sofa.  That is a very normal feeling.  New.   Change.  We question ourselves.  Did I do or pick the right thing?  Did I deserve to do this?  Most of us have been there.

We also get used to the comfort of the "old," and any deviation from that is something we must adapt to.  Sometimes that can be a little unsettling for a bit of time.  That will pass.

Second guessing ourselves is not at all unusual and is often part of the entire process.  I remember how I felt when I had new furniture coming; I was all atwitter and agog and mentally doing the "jerky turkey" worried and a bit nervous about if I had chosen correctly and was so relieved when it all worked out.

When the sofa fits the room, and if it meets most of the expectations, it will not be long before it is adapted to and just part of the usual.  In fact, if it meets your feelings you had about it in the store, you will wonder what took you so long to decide to get the new one.  (I wonder what color you decided upon.)

Take the delivery day slow.  I would say you need not be there for the delivery, except you will need to show them where to place the sofa and ensure it is what you ordered and that it is in pristine condition when it arrives.  Have Mister help you.  Do all the things that help you relax or feel calm from early in the day to put you in a good frame of mind.

Like many of us, you worry about spending.  That may be part of the guilt for actually having made this decision to permit yourself to purchase something new even if it was really, really needed.

It's all about perspective.  Sofas are not monumental expenses.  It is not like a new car or a mortgage or a trip to Europe; it is simply a sofa and that expenditure in the scope of things is small and will be absorbed.  Soon this will be part of the past and will not have power to cause guilt and worry.

May this be a positive; we will be waiting with you to hear.  Big hugs from one Yooper to another,

J.

llee08032
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:14 AM

My birthday present to myself arrived last night, glow in the dark rocks and solar flower lights for my garden! 

My birthday is today. I'm going to work. Had birthday cupcakes with son on Sunday. Waiting for my other son to call and sing happy birthday to me!