RSS Feed Print
When you notice a new symptom.....
MoonLady
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 9:45 AM

I am curious as to how each of you address/handle/cope when you become aware of a new symptom.

Personally I seem to go through a few stages:

1.  Event (ie, found keys in refrigerator) followed by confusion :"What the heck?"  "That was weird"  "Too funny"  (go about day normally)

2. Nagging feeling ("hmmm, I wonder if that means something?" ) Start searching memory for other times I've misplaced something....

3. Depending on recall of other misplacing objects events, I either

a.  keep this event in mind as a possible "new" symptom

b.  make a mental note that this has happened before; several times before but different items, different locations.  I have a notebook where I keep notes for my doctor and add it.

4.  Get upset either way; new or ongoing symptom.  Shoot!

5.  Make a plan on how to deal with misplacing things

1.  (using example above)  Get and install key hanger upper thing so keys can be hung up immediately when I walk in the door and I can SEE them.

2.  Put sign on back of door so I see it when I close it that says HANG UP KEYS

Anyway, this is kind of what I go through...just a sample.  It is very important to me that I feel in control of this, that I am able to identify when I start to loose a skill and step in, when I can and begin to help myself.  I know these are temporary fixes, but it's all I know right now.

I would love to know what YOU do so I can learn more ways of coping!

Thank you! 

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 3:09 PM

That's an excellent question, Moon Lady.  For me, what you describe has been ongoing for years, so they are not new symptoms.  But they surprise me when they  happen.  For example, in early March I withdrew $200 from the bank.  I know I spent some money on groceries, but a few days later, it was all gone, and I couldn't add up spending that much.  It is only now, about six weeks later, that I remembered that I mailed $90 as a birthday gift.  I had completely forgotten about it!  

Like you, I try to increase the routine in my life.  I only put my keys in one of three places--in my purse, in my pocket, or on the key hook at the front entryway.  I never lay my keys down, because I know I won't find them.  

I got my medication for April and dropped them on my desk instead of putting them where they are supposed to be.  When I needed them, I couldn't find them, and they weren't in my usual places.  I finally found them on my desk, still in the bag from the drugstore.  I tell myself repeatedly that I have to finish what I start--to carry a task to completion.  Otherwise, confusion ensues.  This is ongoing; it's not a one-time thing.  

I have discovered that the only way to handle this is to reduce and eliminate tasks, to simplify, and to automate when possible.  I knew this a long time ago, my problem is in putting systems into place and executing them.  I have impairment of executive functions, so I know why I have trouble performing tasks. 

I don't mind spending money to make my life easier.  For example, I buy more expensive cat litter, because it does not stick and is easier for me to handle.  

I'm in the process of a major decluttering project.  This should have been done years ago.  I asked two psychologists for help, but they were  USELESS.  They were ignorant about memory loss and impaired executive functions.  I don't believe in asking psychologists or other professionals for much, now.  I read the boards and figure out what to do from the experiences of the other members, and then I figure out how to do it for myself.  

Being on my own is difficult in some ways because no one understands.  On the other hand, I have realized that I don't have to argue with anyone to get things done.  

Addendum:  I also find it better for me to do one task at a time, and avoid multitasking.  I focus on what I am doing.  

Iris L.

BadMoonRising
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 9:14 PM

I've had lifelong ADHD so I've learned to utilize electronic gadgets. I have an electronic door lock and its code is my kid's birthday. I have a remote key to my car that ALWAYS stays in my purse. The car starts without inserting a key into an ignition. I have an extra remote in a tin box that sits on my fireplace mantle. (In my former vehicle I left the engine running all night. My newer car won't do that.)

I try to remember to take a snapshot whenever I park in a garage or a large parking lot. That works most of the time. I also take a snapshot at the entrance to the store followed by a snapshot at the escalator, new aisle, etc.

I've finally started using the timer on my stove when boiling water - although I've not yet forced myself to stay in the kitchen when cooking.

I used to leave a sign on the inside of my front door so I would not leave my pets outside. After a short while my brain no longer registered the sign so I developed the habit of giving the pets a treat before I left. That seemed to help.

Medicine was a biggie. I learned to place the pillbox on the tray of my coffee maker. That was really helpful except for the few times I was still a little sleepy and took the dog's med by accident. Since the dog's med was similar to one of my meds I just skipped mine for the day.

Those are a few of my ADHD workarounds. Unfortunately, new stuff is happening and I'm not a happy camper.

*Alexa is my new best friend. I'm hoping she'll help me tame the AD demon. 

MoonLady
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 10:07 AM

Wow!  You two rock!

Great ideas! 

Iris:  Living Alone.  Same here.  Yes, in some ways is sucks and in other ways it's perfection. I never have to share the tv remote

You mentioned your struggle with decluttering.  My first impluse was to kick into problem solving mode AGAIN and start typing suggestions/ideas etc, but Iris, you didn't ask for suggestions!  

So I stopped myself.  

I have to remind myself to allow people to "vent" and if they want my/other's suggestions, they will ask (ie, "I am having trouble with all this clutter in my kitchen, it just overwhelms me" vs "I am having trouble with all this clutter in my kitchen, it just overwhelms me, any ideas or suggestions?"). 

Iris, I get how hard it is to handle clutter, and I'm sorry those dumb poopy psychologists were not able to help you.  And I am your sister in 'living alone" and get that too.  We may live alone but we are NOT alone.

BadMoon:

I keep wanting to abbreviate your name but when I type it......(LOL) so I'll stick to BadMoon!

I LOVE electronics.  

Taking a pic of your parking space-Aren't there smart phone apps that help you locate your car or did you find that just taking the pic was simpler? LOVE the idea of taking a photo of the entrance of the store, escalator etc.  I recently moved to a new city after living almost 30 years in the same area so you can imagine how hard it is for me!  It'd be hard under normal circumstances but with my brain, holy cow!  Everything is new!

Timer on the stove-brilliant!  I live in a +55 complex so it's all electric and I have walked away after cooking, come back an hr or so later to get something out of the fridge and that top burner is still on!  I saw on Shark Tank (love that show) someone invented an alarm you attach to the knob on the stove but it was only designed for gas ranges.  Would have been great because it is set to go off based on the position of the knob.   

Yea, the ol front door sign:  I don't see mine anymore either so I took it down.  I read an article talking about how that happens; how we don't see it anymore.   GREAT problem solving though, treat before you leave!  Genius!

Medication:  LOL LOL I took my dog medicine too but like you, it was human medicine and a nice one at that (for 4th of July-calming meds).  My problem was that I had her bottles on the same shelf as mine, so I just grabbed her bottle and put it in my pill box.  MY problem is more visual (again, that darn MRI) because the bottles all look alike and the pills look alike.  So I have the lids color coded : Yellow for morning, Blue for evening, then the ones that are twice a day, are blank.  But blank is where I am having a problem.

Need Suggestions:  If I am color coding for day and night on each bottle, how can I figure out the other bottles that are twice a day.  Right now the lid is white, so it should be simple. White equals twice a day, but my brain doesn't get "twice a day" for a color.  

Thought about Alexa/Google especially for shopping lists because if I don't write down what I need "the moment I think about it", it's lost.  I love walking so, this memory problem has helped me get back in shape because I now walk to the store (2 miles round trip) a couple times a week because I can't maintain my shopping list!  LOL

Thank you both again for your thoughtful responses.  I love how open everyone here is!

Kathy

Heyno
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 11:04 AM

That is always on my mind! At first I'm like, I'm slipping to a new level!! Then I chalk it up as another little twist thrown our way, no harm done. I usually take a walk, try to clear my head, but unfortunately that never works, but it's always good to take a breather.
Andrew60
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 12:07 PM

Many excellent ideas and suggestions on this topic, thanks to all for posting. Very helpful.
BadMoonRising
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 1:23 PM

I'm still working through the shock of seeing my amyloid PET light up like a Christmas tree. I received the PET report last August as well as a copy of the actual scan on a CD so it's not  as if I can't SEE the effing amyloid burden. It amazes me that I had enough self awareness to request an amyloid PET and yet walked out shocked when the neuro confirmed I had EOAD.  Even though I knew deep inside that I had AD seeing and hearing the diagnosis was a kick in the gut.

Nevertheless, I continue to flip-flop back and forth between denial and acceptance. Which leads me to your question regarding new symptoms.

When I have something happen that I consider extraordinary (for me) I take notice and think "S___,  'they' might be right." LOL (I have elevated denial to an art form.)

My biggest issue is what I consider slow mental processing but my psychologist blames on short term memory loss. For example, I had to study the keyboard for a brief time last week to figure out how to type an upper case letter. It is the accumulation of these "Oh S___!" moments that is leading me towards acceptance of the diagnosis. I think... LOL

Re: Alexa. She can remind you of appointments and can call someone if you find yourself unable to reach your phone. There are also some "skills" that are being developed to help those with Alzheimer's. I intend to set up the Call my Buddy skill to contact someone in case of an emergency.

BMR

Canada111
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 3:49 AM

A great video of Wendy Mitchell who has Alz and lives alone in England. She is a trooper and uses many adaptations and work arounds- 

https://whichmeamitoday.wordpress.com/2018/04/13/talking-on-australian-tv/

Also see www.dementiadaze.com 

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 10:13 AM

When something new pops up, I think oops, just more AD.

But then I do try to think, as many wrote, of ways to deal withit.
MoonLady
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 11:32 AM

CanadaIII: Great video and links!  Thank you!

Heno, Andrew, and Mimi, thanks for your contribution to this subject!

If I left anyone out, my apologies!

moliz
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 2:55 PM

The other day, when my daughter was visiting, I turned on the water in the sink, then went outside and talked to my grandson for a while.  Oops. 

I went through a period of constant watching for new symptoms, mourning my losses and wondering where my memories went.  That got tiresome, so I decided to enjoy the sunshine, my wife and our pets.  Yeah, I know - kind of pollyanna-ish, but it's working for now. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

MoLiz

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 10:48 AM

In the beginning I would get caught off guard and get upset whenever I had a blips, bleeps and major blunders. I've learned to expect that I will forget, get lost, not know what things are, lose things etc and I think it helps that I expect things to happen and go this way. Nevertheless, I can even forget on some days that anything is wrong with me and something will happen and I'm brought back to reality and then "there's that again." 

Keeping things in the same place all the time, getting enough sleep and rest, keeping life & routines as simple as I can, avoiding drama and conflict like the plague, vigorous note keeping, GPS, and doing my best to practice spiritual principles are all a part of my daily survival kit. 

Lisita
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2018 7:59 PM

Hi write a list of what you want to do every day, stay active don’t sit all the time, call dr if need to they care . Good luck 

lisita

Lisita
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:03 PM

Iris do you have a church they are a good support system ! Go girl keep on trucking!
Lisita
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:07 PM

Kathy you are in good shape  great ideas thanks lisita
Lisita
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2018 8:13 PM

Credence Clearwater revival bad moon adhd is under control great job.take care live and enjoy life!

Lisita