RSS Feed Print
Younger Onset husband, 59, and Hallucinations
Sasa
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 3:16 PM

My husband, 59 yo, began showing symptoms of Alzheimer's in the spring of  2016.  I first noticed something was really wrong when he continued to misplace his wallet almost every day.  He couldn't park his car correctly, couldn't easily close the passenger side of my car, stopped cooking. Then he said there were "people" in our yard.  He would ask the neighbors if they had people in their yard.  No one else saw people in the yard.

I made an appointment with his physician assistant in early September.  The PA mentioned dementia/Alzheimer's.  He said my husband shouldn't drive, and prescribed Namenda.    He also prescribed sequel because my husband became highly agitated when he saw "people" in our house.  The agitation/hallucinations continued every single day.

Neurologist, in March 2017, prescribed Rivastigmine.  PET scan, December 2017 showed Alzheimer's.

Now in 2018 the hallucinations and agitation still continue.  He swears, spits, punches the couch and pillows, does not tire easily, paces, widgets with his shoes or flashlight.  He tosses his used toilet paper into the waste can instead of the toilet, doesn't know how to use the coffee maker, doesn't know how to turn on the shower, but can still wash himself and shave fairly well although he's messy with shaving cream.  Pretty much lost the ability to do anything around the house, inside or outside.  

I do not leave him alone.  I'm retired so I have all the time in the world to be his caretaker, but it is getting more challenging as time goes on.

He is in a clinical trial for the hallucinations, and I am hopeful this drug might work, although after 3 weeks nothing has changed.

Is anyone else going through a similar situation with hallucinations?  What might I expect to come next regarding Alzheimer's stages?

eaglemom
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 4:16 PM

Let me welcome you Sasa to the message boards. I'm glad that you've found us. We are here to help you though the journey of ALZ. Please do take some time to look over the entire site and look into the section called solutions. You will find helpful information there.

As for your situation, he saw the neurologist in March 2017. Has he not been back for a checkup with the neurologist since that time? Usually every 3 or 6 months they have them come back for checkups. Also I would contact the office about the hallucinations and have an appointment. Hopefully the neurologist will be able to explain and possibly offer a medication that could help these.

You ask what might come next - absolutely every person with this disease acts differently. Each body is so different, you just don't know. There are not absolute guidelines, if that is what you are asking. Even in stages people don't necessarily go through the stages in order, or display the same symptoms. Whatever your LO does next is what he'll do next, you have to adjust to him.

Please come back often and let us get to know you and let us help you on this journey.

eagle

Sasa
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 7:21 PM

Thanks for your reply.  My husband regularly sees the neurologist every 3-6 months.  He has tried a couple meds but nothing has eased his hallucinations.   I guess this is how his brain works.
Doityourselfer
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 12:51 PM

Is there anyone else out there who is dealing with a loved one who is experiencing hallucinations on a daily basis?  Just wondering.
ndhme
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 1:34 PM

Sasa and Doityourselfer

If you post on the spouse and/or caregivers boards you may receive more replies.  They are utilized more by members (caregivers) who have experienced what you are going through.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 3:27 PM

I too suggest you put these on the two boards where caregivers will be able to give you some personal info and support.
Firedoggy
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 6:10 PM

My DW was having hallucinations and then she had a seizure at age 60. Got the seizures under control and the hallucinations improved.
Eva 1958
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 9:49 PM

My husband is 63 and has been having hallucinations for about 8 months. His primary care doctor put him on olanzipine to help with the hallucinations and help him sleep better. I have seen a little improvement but recently he started using the rivastigmine patch and the hallucinations have increased. I'm not sure if there is a connection or not. There is some helpful information on the Alzheimer's caregiver app. I would recommend looking at it.
Eva 1958
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2018 9:52 PM

My husband is having hallucinations every day.  I try to be understanding but it gets difficult at times.
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 2:50 PM

These are good questions for the caregiver boards as only a few of us participate on this board. You will also find a lot of posts about this in the archives of those two boards.
Eva 1958
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 7:10 PM

Thank you.