RSS Feed Print
touch starved and getting massage today
alz+
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2019 9:40 AM

I grew up with Finnish relatives who loved massage. My Dad would take me with him to spas when we traveled and let me have massages. I became a massage therapist and gave my Dad massages when he had Alzheimer's and my mother said he was "good for days afterward".

My former husband used to massage my hands and feet every morning and evening and I miss it horribly. Today I have a massage booked and am scared!

The therapist is only 2 miles away and seems educated in similar ways I was trained, Habib drove me past her office so I would calm down. I may have to fill out an intake form, I did bathe and prepare clothes already.

I told her in message I have ALZ and she was fine with it!

will report back on how it went. I think massage might be a basic help to ALZ people and caregivers. If you find someone you like it is wonderful. Many of us are touch starved.

time to get out of bed

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, June 3, 2019 10:51 PM

I have gotten massages as therapy for musculoskeletal problems.  I never got massages for relaxation or other reason.  Sounds good.   

Iris

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 6:11 AM

it was very good. it was not the deep tissue work I thought and hoped for but my low back pain was helped a lot and we laughed about getting old and stuff. She has other clients with ALZ and did not treat me differently than a normal person.

when I got home I spent 2 hours assembling a cart I ordered for kitchen. I slept hard after and think I will do the massage again. 

almost done with house stuff here, the dog is very happy and Habib has made huge comeback on B12. We are working out our differences, I have never been as forthright about what and why I would like certain things, attribute this to my revelatory understanding of trauma from Dr Gabor Mate lectures.

love and courage