RSS Feed Print
Book, The End of Alzheimers by Dr. Dale Bredesen
larry10
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 3:17 PM

Billions have been spent on the 1 pill cure for Alz. and still no cure. Maybe this has been the wrong approach. Dr. Bredesen is a brain neurology researcher who seems to have given some of us some hope by finding many causes of Alz. and what to do about each cause. By treating multible causes, he states he has reversed Alz in people to where they have returned to mostly normal in there day to day functioning. What a \breath of fresh air if this is true. What do you all think or know?

His website is AHNP Precision Health. Another website that is saying a lot of the same things is SharpAgainNaturally and is not connected to him. You Tube is a good source of videos on him with interviews with him.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 3:49 PM

I will restrain from what I really think. And I even have spoken with him personally. 

SallyL
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 5:53 PM

I have read the book, and I find his evidence anecdotal.

I think I am with Michael on this one.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 6:26 PM

I should say he seems like a nice guy. 

Lane Simonian
Posted: Sunday, August 25, 2019 9:38 PM

enjoyed the time I talked with him as well.  He does seem like a nice guy.

I believe Dr. Bredesen has a good overall understanding of Alzheimer's disease.  He identifies about forty different factors which may cause Alzheimer's disease.  I don't think he is right on every single one of them, nor do I think he has identified all the factors that can lead to Alzheimer's disease, but I do believe that he makes a convincing argument against a single cause for the disease (such as amyloid).  

He is probably right that if you can identify the insult or insults to the brain that is leading to cognitive and other problems, you may be able to slow down the progression of the disease early on.  After that, the damage done has to be addressed further down the line.

He also suggests a number of antioxidants that can be used to treat the disease.  Again, he is probably on the right path, although there are likely more effective antioxidants than the ones that he suggests.

I am a modest fan of his work; I am not all in with every suggestion he makes, but I am certainly not all out either.

Marta
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 8:19 PM

I think Dr. Bredesen makes a lot of money selling his ‘cure’ to desperate people.
Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2019 9:31 PM

He likely has oversold.  But what to say about all the millions of dollars made off of Aricept, Namenda, and antipsychotics that in most cases have done very little good and in some cases considerable harm. 
LDDaughter
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 9:40 PM

You may find this report in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease & Parkinsonism very interesting.  100 patients were put on the Bredesen protocol with a few different doctors all with documented cognitive improvement. You can see the before and after scores. I find this work very compelling. 

I'm also reading the book- strongest improvements seem to be with patients in the early stages. 

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/reversal-of-cognitive-decline-100-patients-2161-0460-1000450.pdf

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 2:58 PM

It would take way more than 100 persons to validate a trial. By now they/he have had more than enough time to find enough people to validate the "cure".
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 3:51 PM

https://www.facebook.com/UsAgainstAlz/videos/406791353311952/
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 7:35 PM

thanks Michael

I listened and went on to

ccf.org/functioningforlife 

LDDaughter
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:53 AM

jfkoc  I can understand the skepticism. I don't think think of this as a cure, but as an important first step, a lifestyle treatment program, which is what he says too. Not perfect, but it has helped some in the early stages and given the lack of anything else right now I think he's raising some important bigger picture ideas about looking at a multi-factoral approach. This disease is pretty complex and may not be addressed with a single pill or trying to remove amyloid- those trials have all failed. Bredesen spent 30 years as a scientist in academia studying aging and the brain and the role of amyloid plaque and how it gets in the brain in the first place.  

This approach is consistent with other research on risk factors for Alzheimer's/Dementia and also prevention: insulin resistance, inflammation, hormonal issues etc, even toxins that can be contributors and the book includes info on the role of genet carriers as well. He admits that it's harder for people with toxins to recover and this is mostly for people in early stages. It's also not a perfect approach, very involved protocol to take on all at once.  And how the heck do you study a 36+ step protocol with a random double blind trial? I'm not a scientist so have no idea- he may not ever get there, but I don't think he should sit on his ideas and successes either.  Some helpful preventative ideas to consider yet, with exercise, sleep, diet and general health and good take aways. 

I still celebrate the people that have had success on it. It may not work for everyone and I think there's more for us all to learn about this disease and more research out there to come, but he's made a dent. 

Larrytherunner
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 1:52 PM

LDDaughter. The Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Parkinsonism is another fake journal run by OMICS Publishing Group. Dr Bredesen has been in research and academics for many years, and he knows that OMICS is a fake research publishing company. OMICS, the publisher of his so called study, is headquartered in Hyderabad, India, and was sued by the Federal Trade Commission in 2016 for deceiving academics and researchers, falsifying information in clinical trial papers and hiding publication fees. This company will publish just about anything for the right price.

Dr Bredesen has transitioned from a medical researcher to a businessman, marketing his products with many unproven claims to maximise his profits. 

My advice is that if you want to follow his guidelines, do those things that you can do by yourself, like exercising and getting enough sleep, and forget about joining his program, where you will pay for a lot of doctors visits and unnecessary lab fees and waste a lot of money. 

OMICS Publishing Group - Wikipedia https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMICS_Publishing_Group 

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 11:44 PM

When amyloids were removed, I believe that study was on patients who were further along into the disease,  and since the drug did nothing to help with tau tangles, behaviour didn't improve even though the plaque burden was reduced.

If you could remove amyloid plaques before the tau pathologies occur

Or

if you can decrease symptom severity in both levels of plaques and tau tangles, that's when behavioural improvements appear.

Lane Simonian
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 12:37 PM

I read this quote by the Alzheimer's researcher Rudy Tanzi and to my mind it shows what happens when you try to hard to save a hypothesis.

In a January interview with BioSpace, Rudy Tanzi, Kennedy Professor of Neurology at Harvard University and at Massachusetts General Hospital, said, “I think amyloid and tangles trigger the disease, but they’re not sufficient to cause dementia. In a nutshell, what we’ve learned is that amyloid comes very early, 15 years before symptoms. And all the genetics tells us this disease begins with amyloid.”

Amyloid may kill some neurons, but not enough to create dementia. But the amyloid and tangle-driven neuronal cell death eventually hits a tipping point where the brain’s innate immune system reacts with significant levels of neuroinflammation, leading to more cell death that causes the dementia symptoms.

https://www.biospace.com/article/biogen-and-eisai-abandon-another-alzheimer-s-program/

The problem is that amyloid and tau tangles are not the only thing that triggers the disease.  There are likely 40 or more factors that trigger the disease including a diet high in sugar and other carbohydrates, salt, and high fructose corn syrup, sleep apnea, traumatic brain injuires, air pollutants, pesticides, heavy metals, industrial solvents, and psychological stress.  Removing misfolded amyloid and tau proteins only addresses one problem.  And on this I think Dr. Bredesen is absolutely right.

Secondly, amyloid does no damage unless it causes oxidation, nitration, and inflammation via activation of protein kinase C.  

Malinow’s team found that when mice are missing the PKC alpha gene, neurons functioned normally, even when amyloid beta was present. Then, when they restored PKC alpha, amyloid beta once again impaired neuronal function. In other words, amyloid beta doesn’t inhibit brain function unless PKC alpha is active.

This is true even for genetic cases of early onset.  Moreover, even in genetically determined Alzheimer's disease, the damage done by oxidation and nitration not only precedes amyloid formation they also cause that formation.

Tau adds to the problem by inhibiting neurotransmissions, but removing tau is not likely to do much more than removing amyloid in reducing neuronal cell loss.  

Anti-inflammatories such as non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs that work downstream of oxidative stress don't seem to do any good.  Anti-inflammatory drugs that work upstream of oxidative stress such as Montelukast and tumor-necrosis alpha blockers may do some good (although the latter may suppress the brain's immune system).

The Bredesen protocol also includes a number of antioxidants.  To the extent that it works, it works by removing those factors causing the oxidative stress (to the degree possible) and it uses antioxidants to try to reverse part of the damage.  As the disease progresses more powerful antioxidants are likely needed.  

LDDaughter
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:20 PM

LarrytheRunner- I appreciate you sharing the info about OMICS and the Journal of Alzheimer's & Parkinsonism. Found an article in the NY Times talking about their predatory practices.  I learned that you can check here to see if a legitimate journal is listed or registered in PubMed with the National Center for Biotechnology Info- National Library of Medicine.  I certainly will try to reference journals through this site now. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog/journals                        

Running an article in that journal was unfortunate for Bredesen. I still believe his ideas have merit though and tend to agree with Lane. It makes a lot of sense to me to be looking for multiple causes- and it's relationship to amyloid plaque rather than blaming amyloid as the culprit as much research has failed in this regard.  Also as more and more prevention research is coming out on diet, inflammation, exercise, sleep, toxins, infections etc an approach that is able to address these issues after cognition has started to decline makes sense to me. I don't think this is the end of the line either and remain curious and open to other ideas and approaches.  

I understand your skepticism of Bredesen, but you might find this article interesting. There are others that are approaching treatment as a systems or multifactorial lifestyle approach and having started seeing early success. Look at Geldonacher and Isaacson- who both have university based Alzheimer's programs.  http://discovermagazine.com/2018/dec/alzheimers-under-attack

Cathyde
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 10:28 AM

Hi Micael I was just diagnosed in April this year and I am scared and very lonely I fell in December 2016 on ice i fell flat on my back I had hip and neck surgery and kept telling something is wrong I could not write I had terrible tremors and dr said it was anxiety I tried ssri, they didn't work I got worse neurologist agreed with primary drand dismisses me I asked to check my brain as physical therapist sad I was disorient to p,ace and time with no treatment  I got worse I had insomnia for months I would be up for 30 hours and still only sleep 2 hours finally primary dr ordered MRI with contrast and said brain was ok in 2017 but I continued to decline and was prescribed clpnmzapam  .25 at morning and night it helped a little then I went to u of m and God EEG and MRI with out contrast as earlier brain MRI with contrast made my tremors and insomnia worse I had low hippo ans .89 then pet scan and diagnosis of posterior cortical atrophy and was prescribed aricept it doesn't heip and I am declining I am so scared and don't know what to do they want t do spinal tap hut I cannot afford it there are no support groups near me I am so lonely I would appreciate any tips suggestion  I read about stem cells but I cannot afford it but am happy others may be helped by it thanks for being on this site and sharing your information as I was going to try to buy the light therapy  if I could find one I can afford   your thoughts on that or any other things I can do to feel better thank you 

Unforgiven
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 1:41 PM

Oh, gosh -- that fall is very suspicious.  Dementia has many, many causes, and I would strongly suspect an undiagnosed  rain injury from the fall.  I sense that money is a problem, but I would pursue another opinion, as treatments for some kinds of dementia are useless in others.

Good luck to you, and have faith and courage.

Larrytherunner
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 7:06 AM

Hi Cathyde. I read that your problems began after surgery, which I believe could be a contributing factor. I know that some researchers believe that the increased chance of dementia after surgery is not only due to the anesthesia, but also due to increased inflammation from surgery allowing immune cells to cross the blood brain barrier into the brain. In some cases long term neuro-inflammation can develop. I remember reading about the actor Peter Falk who played Columbo in my all time favorite TV series. He developed dementia right after extensive dental surgery.

I have been taking the anti-inflammatory drug montelukast (brand name Singulair) since February 2016. My extreme mental fatigue and occasional confusion completely disappeared within a week after taking 10 mg twice a day. I now take 10 mg three times a day. I sleep much more soundly and I have not had any bad side effects.

I think you might benefit from this drug because you are at an early stage which is more treatable. Also you have other symptoms during the day rather than just memory loss, so that when those symptoms reduce or go away, you know it is working. Also when your sleep improves, you will have another indicator that it is working.

As you may have seen from my earlier posts in the clinical trials section, there are clinical trials going on in Canada and at Emory University in Atlanta for montelukast as a treatment for early stage Alzheimer's and dementia. The Emory trial is FDA supervised and the Canada trial is supervised by Canada Health, an agency of the Canadian government.

This drug is cheap and safe for adults for long term use. I live overseas and I pay about 5 dollars for a pack of thirty generic 10 mg tablets. A pack would cost about 10 to 20 dollars in the US.

A stem cell clinic is not a good option. The FDA has been trying to shut down many of these clinics but they keep popping up in the US and off shore. Don't risk your health and lose your money on these scams. 

I am not a fan of light therapy or whatever else it is called for Alzheimer's and dementia. They don't seem to be unsafe but you can waste your money. The reason they are allowed to operate is that they say they don't claim to cure a disease. Their company sponsored clinical trials don't appear to be FDA supervised. 

I sent you an invitation through this site to you. Please respond so we can communicate. I might be able to help. Take good care of yourself. Larry

alz+
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2019 11:29 AM

Cathyde

watch      https://youtu.be/QqjyAeOLyKM          video on doctor who has low B12

"dementia" after anesthetic can be caused by a B12 collapse.

all reversible. Bottle of B12 complex at pharmacy is about $7 and harmless. If you had B12 collapse you will have improvement within 2 weeks if not 2 days.

"

Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms

Vitamin B12 deficiency can be slow to develop, causing symptoms to appear gradually and intensify over time. It can also come on relatively quickly. Given the array of symptoms a vitamin B12 deficiency can cause, the condition can be overlooked or confused with something else. Vitamin B12deficiency symptoms may include:

• strange sensations, numbness, or tingling in the hands, legs, or feet
  • difficulty walking (staggering, balance problems)
  • anemia
  • a swollen, inflamed tongue
  • difficulty thinking and reasoning (cognitive difficulties), or memory loss
  • weakness
  • fatigue

While an experienced physician may notice the symptoms and be able to detect a vitamin B12 deficiency with a good interview and physical exam, a blood test is needed to confirm the condition.

It’s a good idea to ask your doctor about having your B12 level checked if you are a strict vegetarian or have had weight-loss surgery or have a condition that interferes with the absorption of food.

Early detection and treatment is important. If left untreated, the deficiency can cause severe neurologic problems and blood diseases."

Anesthetic from a broken hip repair made my Dad a zombie. He had Alzheimer's.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/vitamin-b12-deficiency-can-be-sneaky-harmful-201301105780

"What harm can having too little of vitamin B12 do? Consider this: Over the course of two months, a 62-year-old man developed numbness and a “pins and needles” sensation in his hands, had trouble walking, experienced severe joint pain, began turning yellow, and became progressively short of breath. The cause was lack of vitamin B12 in his bloodstream, according to a case report from Harvard-affiliated Massachusetts General Hospital published in The New England Journal of Medicine. It could have been worse—a severe vitamin B12 deficiency can lead to deep depression, paranoia and delusions, memory loss, incontinence, loss of taste and smell, and more.

Why vitamin B12 is important

The human body needs vitamin B12 to make red blood cells, nerves, DNA, and carry out other functions. The average adult should get 2.4 micrograms a day. Like most vitamins, B12can’t be made by the body. Instead, it must be gotten from food or supplements.

And therein lies the problem: Some people don’t consume enough vitamin B12 to meet their needs, while others can’t absorb enough, no matter how much they take in. As a result, vitamin B12 deficiency is relatively common, especially among older people. The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey estimated that 3.2% of adults over age 50 have a seriously low B12 level, and up to 20% may have a borderline vitamin B12 deficiency."

Larrytherunner
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2019 12:56 PM

Cathyde. Have you had your B12 level checked? Have you been taking B12? Did it improve your health? I understand that in some cases, the doctor has to give an injection.