RSS Feed Print
Opinions?
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 10:19 AM

What do you think about Project Echo;

Project ECHO (Extension for Community Health Care Outcomes) is a collaborative model of medical education and care management that empowers clinicians in rural and underserved communities to provide specialty care to more people right where they live.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 10:43 AM

I never heard of it until today. 

dayn2nite2
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 1:42 PM

What clinicians.

What is an “underserved” area.

What “specialty” care.

Without specifics, it sounds like another layer of people who make lots of money ultimately providing little or no help to patients or caregivers.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 4:19 PM

I assumed, incorrectly, that everyone's state was working in this. Here is the Oklahoma site;

https://health.okstate.edu/echo/index.html

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, October 1, 2019 11:28 PM

Been done before, like a big continuing education outreach.  Education is always a plus.  Possible for problems if inexperienced or less than stellar practitioners use the real time computer class and/or not in real time computerized education and overstep themselves.  Even if in a rural area, there are some things that may need to still be seen by experienced practitioners even if it means going out of area.

It is always good to learn but also always best to know one's own limits and to firmly understand that we don't know what we don't know.   That is something I always kept in mind when practicing in the acute care setting and still do.

J.

alz+
Posted: Saturday, October 5, 2019 12:28 PM

JFKOC - I think Upper Michigan had a network or system for the areas - towns less than 2000 population, far apart, without public transportation plus extreme weather.

doctors did not want to stay working there, always new doctors serving some kind of beginner time then leave. also had devoted doctors who would spend a couple days a month in different hard to reach areas.

opening an office is expensive, lots of at home nursing by family / friends. 

as my doctor said, "Medicine is all about money and profit now".  overworked staff at local small hospitals, underpaid. Sad this is state of things.