RSS Feed Print
Depression has overtaken my mom
Deedeeturner
Posted: Saturday, May 2, 2020 2:05 PM

My mom was diagnosed with alz about three years ago. She has been easy to care for until recently. At Christmastime, we think she was overwhelmed and one night, she just started screaming at us. (Me and my dad) After a long night of her throwing things, yelling, and finally running down the street, she called 911 so she could get away from us. They came, admitted her to the hospital, admitted her to the psych ward, and then into a nursing home. After about a month there, she seemed fine. My Dad brought her home. He had some work done inside their home (an RV) so a lot of her craft things had to be stored for a bit. About a week after she was home, she started blaming us for getting rid of all of her stuff. We just needed time to fix the walls in the RV but she can't understand that, we know. Now she won't allow us to out her things back but still accuses us of coming home to an empty house. She won't let us fix it! As time passed, she got worse and worse, now accusing us of all sorts of things. She really believes they happened. She won't eat, come out of the bedroom, see anyone, talk to anyone, and she cries all day. We want to keep her home but don't know how to handle this, or if she will snap out this time. I've tried redirecting and that works for about 3-5 minutes and then she just goes right back into the same routine. My help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Monday, May 4, 2020 7:04 AM

Sorry no one has gotten back to you but you would be better putting your question on one of the other boards. Caregiver. 

abc123
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 5:52 PM

HI Deedee, Michael's suggestion is a good one. Try the care givers page. There are many people there who can give you good advice/suggestions who have experienced what you are dealing with now. Im very sorry this is happening to your family.
HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Saturday, July 4, 2020 9:50 PM

Sudden shifts in behaviour can be caused by an UTI, dental/gum disease, or other infection.

Ruling these out could help narrow the field of causes. If you search these for "Infections" or " UTI" ( Urinary Tract Infection) on these boards, you will see several posts about how quickly and dramatically people can become worse, and in some cases, how well they respond to treatment.

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, July 6, 2020 11:18 AM

Bright Light therapy helps people with depression, and so does a light that flicks on and off 40 times per second. Actually, a 40 Hz flickering light doesn't just fight depression, it helps with mood stabilization.

Sounds like your mom isn't getting the 50,000 to 10,000 lux of light that is needed EVERYDAY to keep the sleep and wake cycle working properly. 

Without the right amount of light, a lot of other things can get thrown off, including emotional stability.

Without light (and dark, in the right amount AND at the right times), your mom won't get proper sleep and wake signals from her brain

and she might not  be getting the signals for eating or drinking either.  They all kind of decline related to each other.

The good news is bright light therapy treatment helps and its pretty cheap and fairly easy to administer, at least in theory.  (if you can get her out of the room).  Doctors prescribe them fairly often for both depression, and seasonal depression. Check with one first to make sure there won't be any complications.

Here are some bright lights from CostCo.

Bright Light Therapy and Dementia - News Medical

Anonymous View

The most common type of dementia is Alzheimer's disease (AD). ... Bright light therapy is usually the choice of treatment for seasonal affective disorder (SAD). ... depressive disorder, circadian phase sleep disorders, postpartum depression, ...

There are also Luminette light therapy glasses available for purchase