RSS Feed Print
Our Energizer Bunny has passed
Kamicobr
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:45 AM

Although I don't write on the Boards often, I had written about a month or so ago because of my concern with my husband. He was diagnosed at age 36 with Young Onset Alzheimers. He was in the end stages and at home with us on hospice. I was worried about his deterioration and used this forum to post my concerns and fears. Many people had written to offer their thoughts and expertise. I am writing now to let you know that my husband Michael (our Energizer Bunny) passed away on February 28th.

Even though he suffered for 11 years, we were still not prepared for the end. The hospice nurse had just been to the hosue that day and told us he was "OK". Three hours later I got a call at work from my brother telling me to "come home right away. Mike stopped breathing".  In the end, after all my children and I had done to care for him at home, I still have the lingering feeling that we could have done more. I feel awful that I was not there with him when he passed, but comforted that both my brother and his aide were.

It's been a rough couple of weeks. My children were only 7 & 9 when Mike was diagnosed, so the routine of caring for him has been all they have ever known. We are grateful that we know he is at peace and back at home with his mom, dad and brother. He is no longer suffering and he deserves that. We have been blessed to be surrounded by many friends and family and hope to slowly work ourselves into a "new normal".

I will continue to advocate for ALL FAMILIES who are struggling with this disease and give a voice to those who can no longer speak for themselves.

RIP Mike, we love you.

frustrated047
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:50 AM

Dear Kamicobr,  I am so sorry for your loss and will keep you and your kids in my thoughts and prayers. 
younghope1
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:43 PM

I am so sorry for your loss. But just know that he is no longer sufering and that should bring peace to your heart. Your family will be in my prayers.

Tracy

Camp Building Bridges

Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:02 PM

Thank you for letting us know. Big hugs to you and your family. &gt;:D< big hug
hopeful30
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 1:55 PM

kamicobr, your "Energizer Bunny" passed on my twin grandaughter's second birthday. because of that i hope i will always remember him! i am 62 and was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago. i hate this disease but am SO grateful my children were grown when it hit me. i dont know how they would have handled having me like that at such a young age. i am deeply sorry for your loss and will say a prayer for you and your family. God be with you!
Geegee
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 5:09 PM

Kamicobr,

Thank you so much for sharing your loss with us.  I am so sorry to hear that you lost your Energizer Bunny so unexpectedly.  I'm sending comforting hugs for you and your children at this difficult time.  

I was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 2 years ago at age 63 and I'm thankful for every good day I have.  

My thoughts are with you and your dear family in the days ahead.  Just remember that you had the most difficult job I can think of.  Don't have regrets.  

Most caregivers do the best they can and often go beyond what is considered basic care.  I know my loved ones will do the best they can when the time comes.  When you care and give, the recipient will know it!  That's my belief.  

Peace to you!   

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 7:13 PM

Hi Kamicobr,

Thank you for telling us. Writing this must have brought many tears.

Never second guess yourself. From what you wrote your husband received wonderful care. 

In time, you and your children will be able to return to a more normal life. I would expect that with your guidance, they will become compassionate adults.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:53 PM

Please accept my condolences in the loss of your dear husband.  It is especially tragic when  such a young husband and father is lost to this disease.  It was a blessing that he could be cared for in his family home.  May you and your children be comforted by your memories and the knowledge that he is at peace. 

Iris L. 

Lisa428
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 12:19 PM

I  am so sorry to hear of your loss. 

I hope you and your family are comforted by the fact that he is finally at peace.

I hope all of you can find your own peace.

Know that you have done everything in regards to your husband's care.

He was very blessed.

You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

eaglemom
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:01 PM

Oh dear I am so sorry for your loss.  I do want to convey that you simply can not second guess any decisions you made.  It will eat you up and you won't be healthy for yourself or your family.  I know its difficult to do.  However, having said that at the time you felt you were making the correct decisions therefore they are still to correct decisions.  Remember the good times.................again, I'm so sorry.
Kamicobr
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:11 AM

Thank you all so much for your understanding and prayers. We will be OK, but it will take time to get used to having so much free time on our hands. We look forward to going to Washington DC and Albany within the next few months to continue our advocacy work. God bless us all and thank you again.
Canna
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 12:20 PM

Thank you for continuing the fight against Alzheimers for the rest of us.  I was diagnosed in November with early on-set.  I'm 58 and I am sure your husband appreciated all the care and love that you and your children gave him.  It will definitely make your children more compassionate toward others and your strength during this time will also be carried forward by them.  You have my deepest sympathies; it so very hard on the caregiver; I understand that, and wish you all the very best of luck in the future.
frustrated047
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 5:21 PM

Dear Kamicobr,

The odds that your children will most likely grow up to be compassionate adults are very high as a result of having the experience they had.  Even though it was a cancer that claimed my mother, my sister and & I were the same ages as your kids when she was diagnosed.  This was over 35 years ago and she had to have her leg amputated (she had a rare form of bone cancer), go through experimental drug treatments and finally her lung was removed.  She died at the age of 29.  Both my sister and I are very compassionate and sensitive to handicapped people. 

It's good to hear that you have been surrounded by family and friends.  Thank-you for your continued support to fight this horrible disease! 

hopeful30
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 12:23 PM

Kamicobr thanks for speaking for us. i have always wanted to go to Washington with my story, but am unable so a letter was taken on my behalf by an alzheimer intern a few years ago. i hope it made an impact because my life has been so forever changed by this disease and i wanted the people who work for us to know what a truly horrible thing we deal with. i hope changes come from all of us telling our stories, both those of us with the disease and the ones who love and take care of us!! GOD BLESS YOU for caring to carry on for us. you are a blessing!!!