RSS Feed Print
MRI is normal!
twilightsparkle
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 10:20 AM

Whew. I know that it wouldn't show dementia if that's even what's going on with the husband, but big sigh of relief here that's it's not a tumor or stroke! 

Monday is the meeting with the neuropsychologist to go over the cognitive testing results, and after that we'll see the neurologist again (visit is not yet scheduled. Husband has to do it, we're in Austria and I don't speak German). 

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 10:39 AM

That's good news about the MRI, twilight.

Be aware that if your husband does not have much insight into what is going on with him, he may not ask the right questions or receive the information from the German speaking doctor correctly.

Iris L.

twilightsparkle
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 11:13 AM

I know, I'm definitely going with him on Monday. Hopefully the doctor's English is very good. 

I had asked him when he did the cognitive testing whether it could possibly indicate if ADD was an issue, and he said the doctor said he didn't appear to have ADD, so that's good too. I think. I mean, the last thing he needs is another disorder to be dealing with.

Is the negative MRI at all reassuring as far as dementia is concerned? I know the very early stages don't always show up on an MRI, but do they ever show up? Can I hope that there's now a lesser chance that it's the same neurodegenerative disorder that his father has?

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 12:36 PM

The interview before the cognitive testing allows the psychologist to get the history of the patient's condition.  ADD usually begins in childhood and the patients will have a history that confirms this.

I realize you want reassurance that you are not dealing with AD, but it is hard to do so.  It is best to gather all the information from evaluation and testing, and then see what it all shows.  Once you have facts, you can work with what you have discovered.

Write down your list of questions that you want to know from the doctors.  Keep in mind that you may not get all of your questions answered at one visit.

Iris L.

twilightsparkle
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 3:18 PM

I do, I want to hear it's not AD or the same dementia his father has. I know I'll probably have to wait months, or maybe even years, to know for sure. 
I wish I had been there for the intake interview. I don't know that he really conveyed that I have noticed a recent change in his memory. At least I'll be there on monday to make sure she has the history right.
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 4:49 PM

Twilight, it still may not be dementia.  There are other conditions that cause the same symptoms as Alzheimer's.  Please review them before your appointment.  Alzheimer's is diagnosed by ruling out the other, mostly treatable conditions. 

You're taking the right steps.  Keep moving forward!

Iris L.