RSS Feed Print
Early Onset & Addiction Resource
THodge2120
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 3:47 PM

I know this board is for those who have Early Onset Alzheimer's, I have posted in the Caregiver's forum as well looking for a resource to my question below. 

It has been awhile since I have posted anything. It has been two years since my husband got his diagnosis at the young age of 38. He was stable for most of the year and then in December the switches started to flip in his brain.

He now has become apathetic, compulsive and has no sound reasoning abilities anymore.  The problem we are facing is that at one time in his life he had an addiction problem that he had been in recovery and sober for many years. When the switch flipped in his brain and whatever happened on the day it took place it has put him in a cycle of addiction he does not even realize he is in.   We have seen his doctors and they said he is now progressed to the mid moderate stage of the disease and it will only worsen from here.

So I am asking for any help if anyone knows of resources such as doctors, websites, articles etc. when dealing with the combination of Early Onset Alzheimer’s  with an addiction issue. It has been so heartbreaking for our family as he fought so hard for his sobriety all of these years only to be stuck in a loop that he cannot control. Any help and encouragement would be so appreciated. 

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 6:25 PM

I don't have the experience you are looking for.

For those in mid stage sometimes slowly watering down the booze may help.

Lisa428
Posted: Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:59 PM

Hello and Welcome,

I'm sorry for what you are going through but I am glad you have found us again.

Have you called our toll free 24/7 Help line @800-272-3900?  They may have answers for you.

Good Luck. Please. come back to let us know how you are doing.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, March 2, 2016 4:54 PM

Breaks my heart. 

Let us know if you did get help. 

The only thing I can remotely relate to is my Dad had evening cocktails with my Mom and she kept giving him alcohol after his diagnosis. I told his doctor during a visit but the doctor saw no problem.

She told me she switched to ginger ale with a  cherry and he did not seem to know the difference, however he did fall and break and his hip and I always wondered if she did actually stop giving him alcohol.

Not sure alcohol is the addiction you mean, I do think if his diagnosis is correct he will one day just forget about it.

wishing you much love and courage.

llee08032
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:03 AM

The Facts About Addiction and Alzheimer's - Alzheimers.net

www.alzheimers.net/2013-10-25/alcohol-addiction-and-alzheimers/
Sep 5, 2014 - It’s challenging enough to suffer the stigma of addiction in addition to caring for an aging addict. ... Perhaps not so surprising, aside from alcohol, the most commonly abused drugs were opiates, cocaine and marijuana. ... We are already aware of the link between alcohol abuse and ...

Hodge,

So sorry to hear this. It is most important that you take care of yourself through all this. 

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:55 AM

I am so sorry for this and this may be really hard to deal with as I don’t have any answers or even heard. With your permission I would like to share this with some folks and see if they have any ideas. I personally am the complete opposite. I never had a addiction but loved to have a few drinks a day. About 6 months ago I kind of suddenly changed and rarely have one now. I have no idea what the hell happened as I loved it every day and looked forward to my beer. I guessed that is a good thing but strange on how we can just change like that.