RSS Feed Print
cell phone stuff
a_step@a_time
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 8:41 AM

ok, 3 things i want in cell service high sound earpiece volume on calls, easy flip phone use - with text capability, and a decent connection in my home.

my cell service with Tmobile is fading out at my home for unknown reasons.  I'm a person with early early onset hearing loss (no hearing aid needed yet) and my 3g flip phone has best earpiece volume.... trying a 4g "smartphone"  did not fix connection problem and due to earpiece volume regulations, I can't hear well on that "smart" phone either.  ugh!

A friends ATT phone had reception at my home, so my question is how easy is it to get my existing TMobile flip phone permanently unlocked so I can try an ATT sim in it.  (I do see the ATT tower show up in my phone connections)

Thank you for any help.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:51 PM

I can't answer your question, but there have  been several cell phone related threads recently.  You can scroll through the subject headings and search for them.

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 10:38 PM

I am clueless but my step son runs a phone repair store and does that stuff for free for people all the time.

Do you think your hearing loss has anything to do with dementia? I have hearing loss and need captioning on tv, now my eyes do not want to follow captions and turning up TV makes the dog leave the room!

I had hearing tested 10 years ago and had loss then and the person testing and doctor both  asked me why I had hearing loss. My mother is very near deaf now and her brother and father were also hearing impaired after 40 so I figured it was heredity.

You have any information on your hearing loss, a cause or thoughts about it?

Also read hearing loss aggravates dementia...but then so much aggravates dementia and some days I am really glad to not hear TV or husband talking. Ha!

llee08032
Posted: Friday, July 1, 2016 9:59 AM

I purchased the Jitterbug Smartphone about 6 weeks ago. I think I sent 2-4 text messages and took some pictures. All in all I've only turned it on about 3 times and have little interest in turning it back on. I make calls from landlines both at home and at work except for my work cell phone. Work cell is basic w/no text features. Maybe if and when I don't have work cell phone I may be more interested in using the smartphone, maybe not. Right now I'm seeing it as as a fartphone with a good camera!
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, July 3, 2016 12:08 PM

how about bluetooth earphones for TV etc...

FYI...Verison is the only carrier that works in our part of NM...have some firends with different carriers thest their phones in different places around you

The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Monday, July 4, 2016 10:11 AM

I use Verizon because they have the best coverage.  No saying that as an advert...but as a long time user who has lived in mountains an traveled across country in remote locations.  I have never had a dropped call, or bad reception Verizon. 

As for sound.  I find that I have use it on speaker mode in order hear peop.  Hope that helps.

Like you, I used like the flip phones...an am sort of sad see them go.  I now use an iPhone...the newest versions have "Hey Siri" which allows you use your phone hands free.  I get a case that has a flap that goes over the phone, which helps since I carry it in my pocket.  It has little pockets in it that allows me keep my driver's license an money...as well as write my phone number on it for easy reference.

What I absolutely love best bout the iPhone is that it has a built in GPS...an my daughter has the "Find My iPhone" App...so she could locate me any where an find me if I get lost. 

The smart phones also have a GPS system for driving directions.  They have calendars...an reminders.  I use mine for medication reminders. 

As for the Hey Siri.  If my med reminder goes off while I am at an appointment, for instance.  I can simply say, Hey Siri, remind me take my meds when I get in the car...an she will do that.  Or, remind me take my meds when I get home.

The iPhone also has programmable health information on it...that EMTs know bout an can access in an emergency. 

In short...my iPhone is like having an 24/7 assistant with me...an the flap case makes it have all the same benefits the old flip phones. 

An I know, iPhones an Verizon CAN BE expensive.  However, Target often runs a deal for 60$ month unlimted talk text, 2g data...which pretty good for Verizon.  Their sales reps will tell you when deals are coming up as well. 

Hope that helps. <3