RSS Feed Print
Newbie to posting but been lurking
Battlebuddy
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2020 7:57 AM

Wanted to introduce myself. I am Battle Buddy to my DH who was diagnosed with EOAD three years ago at 53. He knew something “was wrong with his brain” and had pushed for an MRI in 2012 which came up normal. Kept pushing and a MRI in 2016 came back abnormal. 

What happened then sent us over the edge in stress. He went  for Neuro Psych testing for 4 hours and tested All over the place. I mean parts of his brain tested like someone with severe dementia. The  Tester decided , not that this guy,s brain is all over the place -he must be really sick, but that he was faking it! He then sent that info to disability insurance , this dropping him off short term disability and leaving us completely without income. Even a PET scan couldn’t change their mind .so had a threaten a lawsuit to get them on board. 

I think that was the worst part of our three year journey with Alzheimer’s. DH is now stage 5 with a couple 6 blips showing up on the radar. The first 6 months was just crazy. I say all that to explain why I have a heart for all the newly diagnosed people joining the site recently. It’s just so overwhelming in the beginning and you are just in shock. Then there is so so much paper work to figure out .But after that things can calm down into a new normal. You find you have a strength you didn’t know you had. And although life will never be the same it is possible to make good memories with your loved one, have tender moments , and keep living. 

Grandpa Brian
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2020 8:45 AM

Warms wish for the New Year, may the year be the best it can!

I am 55 and just starting my Journey.

Battlebuddy
Posted: Thursday, January 2, 2020 9:09 PM

It’s a club no one wants to join. Hope you have a good supportive team of friends, family and good doctors around you. Everyone’s journey is different, but we all need help and support. Happy New Year to you too.
rsuther55
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2020 4:12 PM

Just wanted to say your not alone in this. My wife now 59 has had younger onset since her late 40's. Recently she was given a shot to calm her down while being treated for a UTI infection. She had an adverse reaction and it kick started her into the final stage. 
Wish the best for you on your journeys.