RSS Feed Print
Mild cognitive impairment(1)
Monti00
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:00 AM

My grandfather ist 84 years old and he is really forgetful since a few years. 6 months ago we took him to a neurologist to check if he is developing dementia. After a lot of tests and Brain Scans the neurologist told us that he is not developing dementia and that this is normal age dependent fortgetfullnes. So we were all very happy that he does not have dementia. But recently I found a term called mild cognitive impairment also called age forgetfulness. And people with MCI are at a 80% risk of developing dementia after 6 years. Does it mean that my grandfather has MCI? The neurologist didn’t say anything about MCI. As far as I know aber 20-30% turn normal after a few years. Do they still have a high risk of dementia and is age forgetfulness always MCI?
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 9:17 AM

No one knows for sure what will happen. Just make sure they did all the right test and its not something else. 

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 4:49 PM

The diagnosis of AD and other dementias remains dependent on ruling out causes...many of which are relatively easily treated.

ALZ.org and othe sites are online which describe the correct protocol for diagnosis. Please read all you can in order to ascertain if a correct diagnosis has been made. 

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/11826-memory-problems-what-is-normal-aging-and-what-is-not

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/11826-memory-problems-what-is-normal-aging-and-what-

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, May 10, 2020 8:03 PM

Dementia is progresive.  Keep written notes of how your grandfather is doing.  MCI is more than age-related forgetfulness. The main concern is, is Grandfather safe to live alone, pay his bills, handle his medications and safe to drive?   Google "instrumental activities of daily living" and see what Grandfather can safely do. Only time will tell if he develops dementia.

Iris L.

Monti00
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 5:25 AM

There is no diagnosis the doctor just say that he does not have dementia and he said it’s normal because he is already 84. He lives together with my grandmother in a house she is doing all the household work and other stuff because my grandfather has Problems with walking and with his back. But he is able to take his pills and he knows what pills he has to take and when. And he takes the train to his pub once a week. My grandma asked out neurologist why she isn’t that forgetful although she is the same age and he said maybe it’s because my grandma is the one who cares for everything and is doing all the work and that he doesn’t have to think that much or maybe it’s due his sleep disorders he is sleeping 2/3 sometimes 4 hours at night and is very tired at day sometimes he falls asleep during lunch or in the train. So he is forgetful but he knows the things he has to know like our birthdays or important events and sometimes he goes shopping if my grandma is not home. So can anybody tell me if he has MCI although the neurologist didnt say anything about it.
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 10:47 AM

Here is another article you may find useful;

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mild-cognitive-impairment/symptoms-causes/syc-20354578

My husband was diagnosed with MCI, then Parkinson's then Lewy  Body dementia.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, May 11, 2020 4:31 PM

Chronic sleep deprivation from any cause but especially from sleep apnea can cause memory loss and cognitive changes.  Has he had an overnight sleep study in a sleep lab looking for sleep apnea?  

Iris L.

Monti00
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 6:30 AM

Yes, he has been very often in the slap lab and he does not have sleep apnea. The don’t really know what causes his sleep disorders but they said it’s not uncommon for older people. But i think it’s quite uncommon that older people have such strong sleep disorders like him and he already has it since 6 years. Yesterday i talked to my grandma and she told me that the neurologist said that the brain volume is shrinking or something like that and that in addition to his sleep disorders may cause his forgetfulness.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 6:01 PM

If there is loss of brain volume that suggests that the patient has moved past mild cognitive impairment, into dementia.  Also,  abnormal behaviors go along with dementia.   Even though your grandfather saw a neurologist, not all neurologists are skilled in diagnosing the dementias.  A second opinion at a university memory center or Alzheimer's Disease Research Center may help you.  In the meantime, read about safety in the home, communication and legal and financial preparations.   

Iris

Monti00
Posted: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 10:52 PM

To be honest I’m not sure what they exactly said but there was something with shrinking brain or kind of that and that this is normal in elder people. Yesterday I wrote an email to the Mayo Clinic and the said that MCI is more then normal age related forgetfulness. So maybe in his case it’s due to his strong sleep disorders.
jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 9:37 AM

CPAP???
Amelillo99
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 4:30 PM

it’s normal that the brain is shrinking with increasing age but In AD there is a strong unstoppable atrophie I think.