RSS Feed Print
Had cataract in my last eye exam and memory
SteveSanJose
Posted: Friday, January 6, 2012 9:27 PM

Went to vision problems my Optometrist for a eye exam. She found a advanced cataract. She referred me to a up Ophthalmologist who specializes in cataracts. It looks like I will probably have to have cataract surgery. With cataracts your vision is cloudy. I lost my rent money when I accidentally handed a clerk a wrong money domination. I thought Hundreds were Tens, and the clerk just kept it. Dishonesty ! Of course with my memory I forgot the where this has happened. I didn't notice until it was time to pay my rent. The cataract surgery should correct the vision problem. I had to get a advance on my pension to clear everything up.
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:26 AM

Steve, why were you carrying your rent money around in your wallet?  If I need a sum of cash from the bank, I immediately go home and put it in a labeled envelope and put it in a safe place. 

And why are you using large bills?  Did you give up your checking account?  Can you arrange to have your rent paid automatically? 

Is your social worker still helping you?

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 10:13 AM

Good points, Iris.

Only carry with you what you need and maybe a few extra dollars. Would a debit or credit card be better for you? 

Every bill possible is automatically deducted from my checking account. And yes, I do get the bill before the deduction.

I have had cataract surgery. The surgery itself is painless and goes quickly.

However, especially in the time after the first eye is done and you are waiting for the second, keeping track of which drops go in which eye and  when, may be more than you can keep track of. Please discuss this issue with both your doctor and social worker so that this will be figured out. 

is there anyone in your building who can do it? Or even someone who calls and says: time to put drop A. into your left eye. And then calls back in ten minutes and says, it's time to put drop B into your right eye.

SteveSanJose
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:39 PM

Rent is the only bill that I cannot pay atomatically. My landlord doesn't take checks, cash or money order. Every month I take  money out of my checking and bring it to a minimart that gives free money orders. My bank charges a fee for money order's. Not recognizing money denominations is a temporary thing. My cloudy vision is being caused by my cataracts, and should be corrected after the operation. I think if I go directly from my bank to give the landlord up until my vision clears up would be best, but on the day I made the currency mistake I stopped at three store's after the bank, with the rent money still in my wallet. I usually don't have a problem of not recognizing money denominations. I think even after the operation, for safety.due to also having memory issues, that I should go live from the bank to my landlord directly. Or just pay my banks, Chase, five dollar money order fee.
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 7, 2012 9:13 PM

Steve, PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL!  Once ne'er do wells realize that you carry cash, you will be vulnerable.  Don't let people even SUSPECT that you carry cash!  Especially with your vision problem. 

My cousin's husband was followed home from the bank and mugged on his doorstep while he was hunting for his keys in his pocket.  He lives in Brooklyn so his bank was within walking distance.  He lost several hundred dollars.  Fortunately, he was not hurt.  He said the guy came out of nowhere, but he admits he wasn't paying attention. 

Iris L.   

SteveSanJose
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:44 PM

I think I'll have the person who eventually is going to have my financial POA, to do my rent payment for me until I have my cataract surgery, and my vission clears up. My eye doctor thinks this problem will be solved, after I recover from my cataract surgery. I trust this person financially.