RSS Feed Print
Happy MLK day
SteveSanJose
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 2:18 PM

Martin Luther King Day with Silhouette
JAB
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 1:22 PM

Thank you for the reminder, Steve.

Dr King's birthday is January 15.  However, MLK Day is celebrated on the third Monday of the month ... so this year, it's being celebrated on Jan 16.  And that means that many Federal, state, county, and municipal government offices will be closed tomorrow, banks will be closed, we will not have postal service, and garbage collections may be delayed by a day.  Whether schools and colleges/universities will have classes depends on where you live.

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 7:51 PM

Any one have any memories to share? I have good memories of walking every Saturday in my Oak Park, IL town as we pleaded for Open Housing. We won.

I have memories of being on the street, talking with neighbors, when we turned east and saw the city of Chicago in flames the day MLK was shot. I was proud of my village as so many worked together to feed and shelter the homeless.

We Shall Overcome, sung with crossed hands, always brings tears.

Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:40 AM

Not what you asked for, but I was 21, pregnant and living near Baltimore when MLK was assassinated. There was a lot of anger and fear in the streets at that time. The Viet Nam war was raging; Richard Nixon and Bobby Kennedy announced their run for president;  Bobby was assassinated; Mi Lai killings took place; 2,500 people occupy resurrection city on the Washington Mall; the Women's Movement is in full swing; Andy Warhol is shot; then Bobby is assassinated; the Soviet Union invades Czechoslovakia; George Wallace decides to run for president, too; Apollo 7 and 8 are launched; Nixon wins by a hair; Johnson announces a halt to bombing of North Vietnam; Tommie Smith and John Carlos, US athletes and Olympic medalists disrupt the games by performing the black power salute during the "Star-Spangled Banner" at their medal ceremony; 6 day war in Israel; Elvis marries Priscilla; and so much more. What an incredible year to be alive and 21.