RSS Feed Print
Baby Boomer's Disease
Myriam
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:03 PM

(Source: US News and World Report) - Alzheimer's is being called the "baby boomer's disease" as growing numbers of boomers reach the ages at which many will contract this devastating illness.

Unlike most other major diseases and causes of death, the impact of Alzheimer's is getting worse, not better. In its report last week on the causes of death in 2010, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that 83,308 Americans died from Alzheimer's, making it the nation's sixth leading cause of death. Heart disease killed more than seven times that number and remains the nation's leading cause of death, followed closely by cancer. But while death rates from heart disease and cancer are dropping, the death rate from Alzheimer's rose 3.3 percent in 2010.

The numbers will only get bigger. "There are no cures out there, and there are no survivors," noted Dr. Ronald Petersen, head of the Mayo Alzheimer's Disease Research Center. According to the Alzheimer's Association, 1 in 8 Americans age 65 and older- more than five million - now have Alzheimer's, and another 10 million baby boomers will develop it.

Go to full story: http://money.usnews.com

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 7:39 PM

Hi again Myriam,

Which is why I am so passionate about changing life styles and Early Detection.

All would do better to use Best Practices as a guide. It, (except for the take meds, as directed part) are the basis of a healthy life style.

I don't go so far as to say it will prevent dementia. It will, however, go a long way towards postponing when it's effects are felt. And if diagnosed, slowing way down, the progression.

SteveSanJose
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 4:44 PM

This is true. More and more people are aging. There are a lot more older people. But as their are more older people, there is more research into diseases that come with age, like Alzheimer's. I too follow a healthy positive lifestyle and diet. Live long and prosper .

Mr. Spock licky licky  Yes I am a also a Star Tack Fan.