RSS Feed Print
Pet Scan
Michelle 50
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 3:43 PM

Unfortunately I was just informed that my insurance will not cover the cost for a pet scan. Sad     I guess it doesn't matter much anyway does it. On second thought I am irrated at the thought of the amount of money that I have spent over the years for family coverage when thank the Lord we have been very healthy no hospitalizations or major health problems for neither my 3 kids, my husband, or myself at least not up unit now! Wouldn't you think that would be taken into consideration.
Lisa428
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 5:32 PM

Hi Michelle,

I agree with you.  Insurance companies should do a lot of things they don't.

I was diagnosed 4 years ago and my insurance company would not pay for my PET Scan either!

How are you doing?  Attend any support groups yet?

Please, take care and keep us posted.

Peace and hope,

Lisa

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 7:09 PM

Hi Michelle,

I too wish the PET scan was covered, especially the one involving the Pittsburg Compound. It is, I understand, extremely expensive. I do hope as it use becomes more widespread, it will be cheaper. But then, if insurance doesn't cover it, it won't be widely used.

My personal opinion is that a diagnosis may be comfortably made without it. 

However from what I have read, one gets a very precise image of the state of the brain. I would hope soon to see these images correlated with where a person is along alzheimer's road. 

Again, from my personal experience, it seems that the victim themselves can fight the disease using the Best Practices, up to a point. Beyond that point, it seems the care-giver has to be the one prodding. Don't know if my observation is correct or not. I'd just like to see lots of scans compared to the actions of an AD person to see if they do , more or less, match up.

judyv
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 11:10 PM

I would avoid PET scans when possible. Because of my cancer background, I have had ten of them since 2001, and one for the dementia.  My sister-in-law, a surgical nurse, told me PETs are the worst for radiation exposure.
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 11:18 PM

judyv wrote:
 cancer background.
My PET scan was performed without charge to me because I agreed to be a control for a brain cancer PET scan study.
Iris L.

JAB
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:49 PM

Michelle, talk with the doctor about the reason that was used to justify the PET scan to the insurance company.  My husband's insurance wouldn't cover it if it was to be used to help diagnose Alzheimer's, but would cover it if it was to be used to help determine why he was dizzy.  Some insurance will cover it if it's to differentiate between Alzheimer's and FTD.  The doctor may be able to submit a revised justification and get it covered.

But ... the reason it isn't covered by most insurance policies for diagnosing Alzheimer's is that it isn't all that helpful.  Its use for that application is pretty controversial.  So if he can't get it covered for you, you really haven't lost all that much information.

tomkrueger
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 6:01 PM

Insurance didn't want to cover a PET scan for my wife.  I was fortunate that her doctor's assistant went to bat for us, even to the point where she got the people doing the scan to agree to do it at half the amount billed to insurance if it were to come out of our pocket.  Eventually the ins. provider did consent to pay and the scan was done..
Good luck.

Michelle 50
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 7:36 PM

Thank you Tom,

I'm so glad to hear it worked out for you both.Yes! 

I'm not going to fight the decision and will hope I can get on a nuro imaging study and get it done then. My best to the both of you.

Polar Bear

JAB
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:53 PM

Hi, Tom.  Looks like you're new.  Welcome to the boards.

All of our members are free to read and post on any of our forums.  Each forum is targeted at a specific group or topic ... this particular forum is primarily intended for our members who have early-onset dementia themselves.  (Which doesn't stop me from posting here! I'm caring for my husband, who has Alzheimer's.)  I'd like to invite you to also join us on the Caregiver Forum, which is by far the largest and most active forum, and is for caregivers who have any sort of relationship with the loved one ... and also please come "talk" with us on the Spouse/Partner Caregiver Forum, which is smaller but offers a different perspective.  I'll look forward to seeing you there.

SteveSanJose
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:49 PM

On thre subject of Pet Scans, My insurence, Medi-Care will pay for it. Along with memory testing, wich I had at my new memery clinic this aftertoon, in  Fremeont CA. Stanford droped my copay Medi gap insurence.
SteveSanJose
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 11:40 AM

Had my apointment at my new memory clinic. The doctor and I talked about 2 hours, asking me quections line what season it is, time of day, date, ect. Then a lunch break. After Lunch a 1 hour computer program that tested my memory. Will nknow the resilts ione week.

Chess

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:02 PM

That's great, Steve.  My results will take six weeks.

Iris L.