RSS Feed Print
Dementia's Youngest Victims Often Defy Stereotypes
Myriam
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 4:15 PM

From Alzheimer's Daily News:

(Source: USA Today) - The aging of the massive post-World War II baby boom generation in the U.S. is casting light on early onset dementia, a sorrowful subset of younger people experiencing Alzheimer's disease.

About 200,000 Americans under 65 are suffering from Alzheimer's disease, according to the Alzheimer's Association. Experts' estimates suggest there's a similar number of younger people with other types of dementia, meaning about a half-million Americans, some as young as their 30s, suffer from early-onset or younger-onset dementia

Go to full story:http://yourlife.usatoday.com

TommyT
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 5:01 PM

Nice to be known as being a subset! I was sarting to feel sort of invisable. People talking AROUND ME to my caregivers makes me feel thata-way
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 11:39 PM

Speak UP, Tom!  Let them know you still have a mind of your own! 

Iris L. 

TommyT
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:50 PM

I'm not really sure I have a mind anymore. I've kind of lost confidence in myself. I am slow to respond, do a lot of thinking about what is being said.  By the time I catch up with the conversation, ten minutes have gone by. I usually have my feelings hurt by then.
Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 7:06 PM

Tom, You weren't in our ESAG group, but when we wrote those Principles for a Good Diagnosis, or whatever the title was, we wrote "SPEAK TO ME!

Yes, you can speak up for yourself. Granted you need more help and maybe more meds than you did a few months ago, but you can still THINK, FEEL AND SPEAK!!

TommyT
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 8:49 PM

Mimi S. wrote:

Yes, you can speak up for yourself. Granted you need more help and maybe more meds than you did a few months ago, but you can still THINK, FEEL AND SPEAK!!

I'm thinking that is something I might have said before going through the experiences of late. Now I know that is not true. When a person such as me goes thru the process of developing a responce, the end of the conversation has come.

Others have already decided that you are demented and are at fault. Any attempt to respond only expands on their determination and puts you in jeapordy of losing more freedom.

I remember fighting for freedom of all US citzens during the Vietnam conflict. Those freedoms have been stripped from me now. Please join me in advocating for the righs of the demented due to Alzheimer's.

Later, Tom

This post has been edited by the ALZConnected Moderator on March 28, 2012.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 10:43 PM

Tom, the fact that you're  writing to us and reading our responses shows that you still have your own mind.  It is slower than before.  But you're having logical thoughts that come out as understandable sentences. 

Other people must be patient and allow you to respond.  You still have a good mind.  I believe your recent experience with the police and incarceration has psychologically traumatized you so much that you don't function well with the strangers around you.  Hold on!  You will get better!   

Give yourself a break now.  Give yourself time to settle down from this devastation.  You must consciously do relaxation exercises several times a day.  That will help you.   

Do you have  a notebook?  Write down what you want to communicate to the people there.  Rehearse your words in your room when you are alone.  Take deep breaths.  Don't let anyone rush you. 

Don't think about being a Peer Volunteer now.  You need to focus on yourself and getting stabilized.  Keep posting.  We are still here for you.   

Iris L. 

younghope1
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 7:47 AM

Tom my Dear Friend, you and I go back quite a few years together and you are still in there, you have NOT lost your mind. You are simply going through another phase with this disease as we ALL have or will at sometime during the process.

I remember when my husband to me to the ER several years back and I was put in the Adult Psych Unit for 72 hours because I didn't want to take my meds. I was furious! I was so, so angry at him for that. But being there turned out to be a good thing, it made me see that I DO need my meds, I have to be here for my son for as long as I can. And I do think that through the grace of God that he is what has kept me here so long. He is my world!

But Tom, you'll come back, just as I did. It will take time and patience, but just know that we are here for you. Don't be so quick to judge yourself, you still have alot to offer.

Love ya, Tracy

Camp Building Bridges

SteveSanJose
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 4:10 PM

When I first got MCI and later on early onset Alzheimer's, I had to relearn my communication skills by talking with other people that have similar disabilities, like a peer group; and speech therapy. A speech therapist, can also give you memory exercises. I also talk and think slower, but it's  OK  You are still doing the task, and that is what counts.