RSS Feed Print
a wonderful outing
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 8:06 PM

This morning I took the Metro to the Convention Center to see the Travel Show.  Yesterday I previewed the Metro.  Things have changed.  We now needs to buy a TAP card before getting on the Metro.  I observed other people to see how they used the vending machine and how they "TAPPED" to get past the turnstile.   Otherwise, I would have had no idea how to get onto the Metro.  There was a man there in county workclothes but he told me he didn't know anything.

I had to call the contact number to find out what the fare was.  In order to get a senior fare, I would have had to go to another location in person for certification that I'm a senior.  Too much effort to save $2.

I got to the center and a woman gave me a free ticket because her husband did not show up.  I walked around to all the exhibits and sat in on three talks.  I had forgotten to bring a pen, so at one talk I made mental notes of what I wanted to remember, and kept reviewing in my mind while I was there.  When I came home, I had remembered the info and typed it up.

I stopped at a sandwich place before returning home and placed an order; I received my change, then drove off without my meal.  I realized at the next stop light that I didn't have my meal, so I had to drive around the block to return to the shop.

All in all, a wonderful outing involving public transportation, multiple sites, lots of listening, and lots of standing.  I was gone from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm--an all day outing,  I couldn't have done this a few years ago without my Exelon patch and Namenda and PositScience and the encouragement and confidence I have received from the members here.

Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 9:11 PM

you joy is palpable....yea Iris
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:28 PM

Thanks, jfkoc.   

I forgot to mention the other Best Practices too, especially exercise and socialization. 

I feel like I'm re-entering the Land of the Living.  My life is not over.  I can have a life!

Iris L.  

Vita99
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:52 AM

Good for you!  
Paul Hornback
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 12:45 PM

Iris, your experience was absolutely awesome. Thanks for sharing with us what is possible and the joy you had in doing it.

God Bless, Paul.

Hi.Phi.High
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 2:53 PM

Yea Iris! So glad you had a good outing.
Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 4:07 PM

Fantastic. 

And to remember your mental notes for that long a time!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Hi.Phi.High
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2014 5:46 PM

Yeah Mimi, I noticed that she remembered also.I would probably be sitting somewhere trying to remember what I forgot.

alz+
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:47 AM

Iris L. wrote:

Thanks, jfkoc.   

I forgot to mention the other Best Practices too, especially exercise and socialization. 

I feel like I'm re-entering the Land of the Living.  My life is not over.  I can have a life!

Iris L.  

this makes me very happy. this is what happens when I leave message boards and stop researching and get out there.

Good for you  - and you must look really good. Something about me (outside my little town world) looks odd and dangerous.

You can have a life, and you are still a doctor, a woman, and adventurous. Really good post. Fresh.

CodyW
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 1:16 PM

Iris, that sounds like a wonderful day!  I'm so happy to read your success stories. Thanks for sharing.