RSS Feed Print
Advice needed for best preperations
piratefan13
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 10:15 AM

The men in my family have a long history of battling with Alzheimer's. I want to ensure that I am better prepared for this battle than they were. I am at a young enough age that I can still ensure that my family and I both are prepped. We have 3 young boys and I want to make this battle as easy as possible in the future to keep from destroying their lives.  

What should I do to make things better in the future?  Should I be taking a ton of photos, keeping a journal of my daily life, video notes?  Any advice is appreciated, I just want to get out ahead of this to make this as easy for them as possible.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 1:05 PM

Welcome.  Read Myriam's post:

http://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147505716&page=-1 

Iris L.

Myriam
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 4:38 PM

Following best practices helps a great deal:

1. Following a Mediterranean Diet (lots of vegetables, small amounts of fish and meats, limit sugar and fat (eat fruit for dessert), use olive oil for cooking;

2. Regular strenuous exercise (at least 3 times a week);

3. Staying socially active;

4. Take medications as directed, use aroma therapy (see posts about which scents to use under the Clinical Trials board)

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, April 25, 2014 6:52 PM

And one more for Best Practices. Also strenuously exercise your brain: the more varied the activities you choose, the better.
Paul Hornback
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 7:20 AM

Of course, following the Best Practices is essential since you have a family history of the disease. But there are many things you might also want to consider:

1. Get Long Term Care Insurance so your family has some options later

2. Make sure you have life insurance sufficient to take care of your family

3. Look into disability insurance as well if you aren't covered by your employer

4. Get your debt under control and reduce it as much as possible

5. Get regular check ups with a doctor you trust so you can discuss any memory issue you may be having

6. Take photos, videos, and do a journal if you desire, but most of all, live your life to the fullest with your family

These are just a few things I wished I had done prior to my diagnosis of Early Onset Alzheimer's disease.

God Bless, Paul

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2014 8:48 AM

Get you financial and legal papers in order. Thankfully we had all of this done before there was any thought of illness.
wwkayaker
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:44 PM

Hello piratefan13:

Excellent suggestions from Paul and I can relate on having concerns about your young children.  I have a high school daughter and I think the idea of journals, video, and memories are very good.  I also hope that this disease does not manifest itself with you despite family history.  I also have a strong family history of Alzheimer's diagnosed late fifties but my other (older)  siblings are fine.  You may want to consider genetic testing to give you more information about probability of being affected and if you choose this route please ensure that you meet with a genetic counselor to go over the results its complicated sometimes and most of us would have a difficult time interpreting results. 

Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 3:58 PM

...but if you decide to find out if you have a genetic form of AD, please make sure to get everything in order first, particularly long term care insurance, before you get the results. LTC insurance applications will ask if you have been diagnosed or if you have a gene that causes AD, which will disqualify you.