RSS Feed Print
advice needed this morning on Insurance Company inquiries
alz+
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 6:15 AM

My insurance company has been trying to get me to change a long held small life insurance policy. Like $25,000 policy.

I no longer drive but have not told them about health changes. They kepp calling us to come in, going in today, this morning.

I do not want to say ALZ to the guy when he asks "any health changes?"

I want to keep my driver's license for ID and my doctor has NOT said I HAD to stop driving. She thought it okay to drive on non public road around my house (like dog gets injured and I can't lift her home, emergency situation deals).

What is with the changing the life insurance? What cautions do I need to know when speaking with the guy?

Husband driving us in, doing most of talking. I feel very frightened for some reason.

Beartracks
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 6:42 AM

I am curious as to why they would want you to change anything if your premiums are up to date.

Have you crossed a milestone?

alz+
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:07 AM

Major insurance company - have house and cars on that policy. I have heard they try to get you to change stuff when over 50, 55, 60... 

I bought the policy 25 years ago, they no longer sell it but it should still be ok. My guess is small town, they know my diagnosis plus they want me to change things to collect more and pay less. 

Nothing to do with my health insurance. 

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/Policy-must-you-report-Alzheimers-to-insurer.aspx

I do not understand this stuff anymore. They have been after me to switch to a whole life policy for 10 years, more so lately. 

I distrust everything because I can no longer keep up with the conversations. 

My son has taken over dealing with financial adviser. Not much left, we don't know what to do about a lot of stuff, this is just one more thing. 

alz+
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:18 AM

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/Policy-must-you-report-Alzheimers-to-insurer.aspx

Q

If you have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and you are in the early stages only, do you need to inform the insurance company and the DVLC/DMV? If you do not advise them, are there possible consequences e.g. would you be breaking the law or your contract?

A

With a diagnosis of being in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease we understand you must have many questions about your ability to drive. The answers are not always easy due to both state laws and insurance company guidelines differing. If you are required by state law and your insurance contract to tell about this diagnosis and don't, then yes, there may be actions taken against you.

Most states have laws in places that say certain medical conditions such as seizures, epilepsy and Alzheimer's or dementia must be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Some states don't require early stages of Alzheimer's to be reported (such as Oregon), while others do (such as California).  Contact your local DMV immediately to find out what your specific state laws require of you. It may be that your doctor has already informed the state due to mandatory medical reporting laws.

If you must tell the DMV of the medical diagnosis and don't, typically they may require you to come in for re-examination and/or place sanctions against your license.

Our carriers said that if there a restriction or notification required by the state to be on the driver's license, then yes, they need to also be informed of your medical condition. Even without license restrictions, you may still be required by the terms of your car insurance policy to notify them of the diagnosis.

If by reading your policy you cannot find anything on medical conditions, you can call your agent. If you don't want to discuss your situation with your agent just yet, unless mandated to, then you can contact your state's insurance regulator for consumer advice. They will know the state's insurance laws on this subject and can guide you on what to do now and as your disease progresses.

If it is a requirement due to state laws or your policy terms to tell your car insurance company about your current medical condition and you don't, it is possible they will later be able to cancel your policy claiming misrepresentation. Also car insurance claims may be denied if you cause an accident due to a symptom of your Alzheimer's disease and your insurer was unaware of your condition.

With early stages of Alzheimer's, your automobile insurance company may require you to provide a physician's written statement that says despite the diagnosis you can still safely operate a vehicle.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:28 AM

I am NOT driving anymore. I found out I do not have to reveal health information to keep a policy (life insurance) and they can not change the policy because of my new condition.

I guess I wanted to keep my driver's license for ID, and sentimental, and emergency fantasy. Once the ALZ word is out they report me to DMV and I lose license and replace with ID card. I can handle it, just another weird event.

Leaving it to my husband to gauge the situation. Take me off policy as a driver today and have one car now.

It is the fear of not being competent enough to follow fast talking information on a subject I am not versed in (insurance).

OK, getting dressed to face the music. Making it official, no longer a driver.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:55 AM

I would not take the meeting re your life insurance....not their business and not health related. Something to think about is if you have no dependents you might not want life insurance anymore.
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 11:32 AM

Alz+, what you are describing, being called into the insurance office, I have never heard of.  My insurance agent will mail letters describing their insurance products and asking do I want more insurance?  I think they are probably always in a "sell product" mode.  I would not discuss any diagnosis.  (You are probably already at your meeting right now.) 

Iris L. 

Callie in Boston
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 6:34 PM

I bet they are trying to sell you more insurance, and more life insurance products like anuities.  This is super common - they call us, no dementia in the house.  They work on commission so they need to sell to earn.
llee08032
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:59 PM

I hope you made out okay with the insurance. Those who have held policies for long periods of time pay lower premiums and they do not like that so they want you to change so your cost are higher!
alz+
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 6:33 AM

llee08032 wrote:
I hope you made out okay with the insurance. Those who have held policies for long periods of time pay lower premiums and they do not like that so they want you to change so your cost are higher!

This was exactly the situation. Thanks to all of you for your insight and advice.

I did my best to PASS for NORMAL - there were only 2 moments when my speech failed me (began to go into very slow motion word loss) and my Husband was on it before even I was aware. He covered for me.

They no longer sell the policy I have and it is true if I keep it my premiums after 70 would be a lot higher. But we just said it was ok, we even got through the one driver one car deal (I said due to vision problems I am not driving now) and we got the car that is not running put on $6/month coverage until Husband gives it to daughter, or sells it.) Also got the tragic RV that was hit by a drunk and is STILL waiting repairs off on same $6/month until repairs are done PLUS back dated that to time it was hit.

We worked together so well! What problems we had in our pre ALZ life are finally dissolving. I wanted my driver's license so I can vote next week. I was so scared of an Insurance Agent! Turns out he was pretending to not be sick with a cold and in my compromised inhibition the first thing I said when going into his office was "You aren't sick are you? That is not the flu?" while not shaking his hand! Ha! It just comes out now.

He said "Oh no, I was in Las Vegas and the temperature change...allergies..." so that was primary focus of his attention I think. Pretending he was not sick. No high pressure except in my mind and having my Husband handle it all made me feel so safe.

Husband's brother sells insurance so he is going to help us maybe get more insurance on both of us. I want something to leave behind in case illness or care expenses eats up everything. Knowing there will be some money for him if I die first gives me deep comfort. I do not want to be a burden or a drain.

There are so MANY smart people on these boards! I thought I would go to jail at one point! Part of me still observes and notes the high strangeness of dementia.

thanks a lot again!

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 1:28 PM

I'm glad it turned out well for you, alz+.  Now, do I have to move to your rural area to get $6 auto insurance?  I know I pay lots more and I only carry liability. 

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2014 8:01 PM

$6 if it does not MOVE all month and is on your property. HA!

I forgot what you call it, under a home comprehensive, a tree falls on it, catches fire, vandalism. Can not drive it. This car does not start but if we could repair it would go to husband's daughter. for now it sits, protected for $6/month!

I hear sounds downstairs as if the dog got into...skunk? she is getting quite a bath and an aroma is wafting up to my room.

Uh oh.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2014 12:22 AM

Never mind!  

Iris L.