RSS Feed Print
Addictions & Alheimer's
Debj1951
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 8:04 AM

My brother has early onset Dementia/Alzheimer's. He smokes pot on a regular basis, even though I disagree with it, it seems to help keep him mellow. Now he has started drinking again after 10years. He tells his case manager he can drink a 5th of Black Velvet a day. Somewhere along the way he has been able on occasion to get prescription pills. At time he is so high. I am not sure if his anger & evil threats are the "high" or the Alzheimer's talking. He no longer lives in the same complex as I. Due to legal issues he has had to move in with our sister. He is normally very kind hearted, but I am afraid he may hurt someone at one point. He has made threats. Does anyone else deal with the illness & addictions. HELP!
alz+
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 11:10 AM

I have wondered about Alzheimer's and alcoholism too. 

Hope you get some answers. You might look into Medical Marijuana and Alzheimer's online later on to see why your brother may be actually self MEDICATING that way, even though his use right now does not look so good. Just a thought.

A call to a reputable detox center might give you a lead on how to help him with the alcohol when there is Alzheimer's involved. Dual diagnosis centers. There is hope since he stopped drinking once before. 

Hope you get some good advice, people on the boards are very knowledgeable. I imagine you can call the 800 number of ALZ.org and speak to someone who knows what direction to take. 

Wonderful you are looking for help for him. 

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 7:11 PM

Welcome, Debj.  You have landed in a message board moslty visited by patients.  If you repost your question into the General Caregiver's board, you will meet others who have experience with your question.  You may also want to call the Helpline as Alz+ suggested.  The number is 1-800-272-3900.  Ask to speak with A Care Consultant who is a social worked with expertise in dementia and caregiving.  There is no charge for this service.

Iris L.