RSS Feed Print
can we relearn to do things? Have you relearned something?
alz+
Posted: Friday, June 8, 2018 2:47 PM

I gave up reading novels a couple years ago and was certain I could not hold information long enough to understand plot development or remember characters. When on a recent trip I went to bed with a novel and gave it a try. At first it was aggravating but when I let of  holding onto the data (?) and just let myself read, it got easier. Eventually I read 3 books while on vacation this way and it is very enjoyable. Could I tell you the entire plot line? no, but the experience is a huge thing for me to enjoy. I also listen to audio books this way, just relax and listen - my mind drifts, I forget some stuff, but it is pleasant and free.

I had to cross a busy road and taught myself how to gauge the traffic etc over several days until I could do it easily. Not without intense concentration and some anxiety but I  did it.

I usually don't speak on the telephone but I  spoke twice this week, not because it is easier for me but to check on how it would be.

Sometimes I can not make coffee or a sandwich, some times I can.

A friend with dementia used a kind of coach to  learn how to negotiate big city transportation she used to travel and I think it worked. 

Wondering if anyone else is attempting to do stuff they haven't been able to do for awhile.

Canada111
Posted: Saturday, June 9, 2018 9:57 PM

Just wrote you an email telling you I made scrambled eggs and toast, which I haven't done in a long time. It was easy. 

Reading novels? I would love to start reading again. So many books here that I never read. Faulkner, Hemingway, Huxley, novels sit on the bookshelves. 

I just discovered a collection of short stories  - a panoramic survey of two hundred years of short stories. You inspire me to read again.