RSS Feed Print
What Stage am I seeing with mom
TrishD
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:02 AM

Mom started losing things at the age of 60. After dad died in 2016, mom wasn't showing emotions. This March she quit making food for herself. Forgetting to eat and take her meds. She fell and my brother took her to the hospital. She had a UTI and doctors indicated her brain scanned showed considerable shrinkage of her brain. She then went into a rehab nursing home to regain her strength. There they told me she's in moderate stage of Alzheimer. We have her home now. I see her gaining some strength to walk but don't believe but will get any better than what she's currently doing. Sometimes she think dad is still alive and other days she's just quiet. She gets cranky and nasty with my husband, I'm just wondering what stage I'm seeing if anyone has any idea.  Thank you
jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:06 AM

Hard to say Trish....you will get more definitive answers if you ask this of the caregivers.
Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 4:23 PM

Hi Trish,
you can get more specific by checking out the Alzheimer's stages. For me, moderate is sufficient. What she can do, she can do.

i would strongly suggest physical therapy. You want to maintain what she has and hopefully increase her strength.  Walking daily is strongly advised.

have you read, on-line, Understanding the Dementia Experience?
Teepa Snow has many on-line videos.
Is there Adult Day Care in your area?  She can profit from the cognitive and socialization she will experience.
Do look for support groups/s in your area for you and hubby. if there are more than one, check them out. Stay with the one that you are most comfortable with.