RSS Feed Print
alz+ art
jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 3:17 PM

I have been talking about the value of art for well over 5 years on these boards. My interest began at my 50th high school reunion when I caught up with a schoolmate starting with grade school.

Her mother, a painter, was diagnosed with AD. Here is site about their art journey,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Remember_Better_When_I_Paint

I would love to know your thoughts.

alz+
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 5:05 AM

I crave a space to paint. Not going to happen. I am total amateur which is how I love to paint so much, no desire to be "good".

Could pick up a pencil and draw, and have, but can not begin.

I am going to check the link you shared. A woman friend I met 2 years ago on a walk is moving here this week. Maybe she will have a place in her house to paint, she has cognitive problems and we get along well.

I used to buy half done paintings at garage sales or thrift stores and paint over them, would listen to lectures from Sounds True and paint for hours. Happiest I ever was in my life!

wah wah wah. seriously bummed, planned on it being fun during winters esp.

Canada111
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 1:43 PM

Thanks for the link to "I Remember Better When I Paint". Some blossom in AD and can paint and draw at home if they are already set up for it. It's great if the caregiver/spouse sets up an area for the loved one to make art, and encourages them to produce art. Motivation to set up an area to do this oneself goes away in AD, I find. 

I still draw and always have. I was never a painter. I was a printmaker and graphic artist and a filmmaker. I was an art historian and taught that subject so when I go to museums, I still know a lot about the art and artists work, especially Western art. I attend museum programs for people who have dementia. A companion to a man with early AD told me I could lead a discussion about the art. This is not the case, but it was a complement anyway. 

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 2:50 PM

Perhaps "set up" is an enormous hurdle. Maybe crayons (a box of broken ones) some pencils (maybe some colored) one of those tins of water color paints or a beginner set of acrylics and some paper or cardboard (the inside of cracker boxes will do) left on the dining room table is "set up" enough.

This idea of supplies left out has been a topic of discussion several times on the CG boards. It may be time to run it up the flagpole again.

My museum has a program similar to the one Canada has been to. Ours is not great but the people who attend enjoy looking and also the process of creating something. Hands on feels good to most of us unless, I guess, you think that yours must be good.

Mimi S.
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 4:26 PM

Art is so important.

Consider tempora paints and brushes about a half inch at the tip. Put the paint in old frozen orange juice cans, or something else non breakable. Not too much at a time. only a few colors.

Love the idea of the inside of cereal boxes. The surface is strong.  Ask at your local paper for endsof newsprint rolls. Want ad section of newspapers.

Don't worry about product. Who cares?  Sometimes set up two stations; one for the patient and one for the caregiver. Just dip your paint and start randomly brushing. Some music?

Also, think about clay. You want soft, hard to find. I think Crayola made some. You can make your own: flour, half salt, water for consistantcy, food coloring, peppermint extract?  Keep in plastic bag in refrigerator. Check internet for home made clay recipes.

Canada111
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:54 AM

Jumping in here with an ode to the late artist William Utermohlen who had Alzheimer's and painted self portraits well into the later stages.

http://www.jenx67.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/-KalRTjJSKc8/T3cYQdZm1UI/AAAAAAAAJrc/v0Yfm2wSU8Y/s640/Alzheimers%2BArt%2BWilliam%2BUtermohlen.jpg 

Despera-termined
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 8:27 AM

I think I'll jump in this thread also.  I have always liked to sketch.  

Sometime ago I took a picture of my son in law and sketched it.  I thought it looked pretty good.  I'm not sure anyone else did.  Oh well, I liked it and enjoyed doing it.

This past Christmas break  we had our gkids for a week and we stayed at our camp on the river.  Everyday we would all gather around the wood heater on the sun porch and color pictures.....excluding my husband of course......he just enjoyed the view and making breakfast for us.  

When one of our "masterpieces" was finished we would tape it on the window.  We filled up 4 windows with them and had a great time doing it.

It was a great memory for them to have of our time together.....

Everyone have a blessed day.

DT

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 12:56 PM

It's process. I am off to paint this evening for 2 hours. One of the other ladies said that I could just finish mine at home. I replied that I was finished and that I was going to paint over it for next weeks class.

I had red, yellow and blues paint plus white and black. That was interesting...lol . Some of the others came in with their supplies on roller bags. Truthfully? I kind of liked my painting the best not that it was wonderful but I had a wonderful time.

I, after 6 weeks, have ordered more colors from Michaels 1/2 price and free delivery. 2.50 for an 8oz tube. 

Canada.....wonderful ( I do not think that is exactly the right word) portraits...

Desper...is  the peacock  your work?

Mimi....make crayons?    yikes, you are adventurous

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 6:54 PM

Make clay, not crayons.But who knows what I actually wrote.
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 9:04 PM

mimi....I misread what you wrote but I did think you were more than brilliant to make your own crayons...
Despera-termined
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2018 7:49 AM

Unfortunately it's not my work, just my taste in artwork.  Oh, if only I were that talented.  Now if it were an adult coloring page then I would be able to make a semblance of it.  

I did take a one night art class at Christmas time a few years back and I painted a snowman.  I put it out every year.  I am quiet proud of it as simple as it is.  

My artwork is more in my flower beds.  That however is taking it's toll on my body but my Dr thinks it is great exercise.  He just doesn't realize the size of my landscaping.  But it does make my heart smile when a bud opens for the first time or a sprout comes through after the cold winter.  I shall continue on.
Quick story.  I was having a rather down day,  my problems are spells of crying,  anyway while in one of those I went outside to look at my gardens and let them lift my spirits.  I walked over to an area where I knew it was time for a certain new flower of mine to bloom.  *#@*%  The deer had mowed it down.  

Needless to say, my mood was not lifted 

Have a blessed day!!!

DT