RSS Feed Print
using new cbd oil and what happened
alz+
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:23 AM

The cbd oil I had been taking was not going to be available soon and while I was in California I tried a tincture from a dispensary.

In past month I was feeling so weak and tired I could not tolerate the oil's bad taste so being cheap ( ) I thought it a good idea to use up the tincture. In past I have claimed here that these "tinctures" are useless even when people using them were saying it helped some or a lot.

2 weeks on the tincture twice a day:

Last night I went outside to let dog pee and maybe see the meteor shower. Where I live is very dark, the milky way seems to be reachable, the planets wonderfully exposed. I did not see any meteors but still got that infusion of WOWness, we came back in and I went back to sleep.

What?! My left eye has had "fruit flies" and lightening streaks for 2+ years. I never go out in dark because I can not see my hand in front of my face. I don't think I had my glasses on.

**** I was WRONG about value and effect of tinctures as medicine for ALZ and I deeply regret suggesting this - a prejudice for no reason. The oils from dispensaries are medicinal, clean and non toxic.

*Critical info: Take the tincture SUB-LINGUAL. 

Hold under tongue or inside cheek for 30 - 60 seconds, takes effect in @ 15 minutes.

Swallowing immediately means cbd is absorbed in stomach and the components change into different aspects than sublingual absorption.

*There is info online as to how cbd changes based on method of ingestion if you are interested.

My vision changes were recorded by eye clinic, intense exam when they thought I had torn something in my left eye and was swatting "fruit flies" for weeks before it dawned on me there are not fruit flies in the wind.

Should I call that doctor and ask if he would see if my retina looks different as I did not have night time lightening bolts and no more fruitflies?  !!!!! It would be medical and documented evidence of cbd healing. 

I told the WRAP study I volunteered in for 8 years about improvement with cbd and they were NOT INTERESTED. 

Lucky people who live in a legal state and have dispensaries can consider giving CBD tinctures a try and report back.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:42 AM

Purple Kush is a variety of cannabis. KUSH strains open the heart and make people love everything. My daughter gave it to me 6 years ago for a rage that would not end, I felt like I was outside my body as it ranted and carried on and could not stop it. I took 2 puffs and the rage dissolved. I cried in relief, shame, fear and apologized to everyone around me. It was a miracle and was the beginning of exploring cannabis as a medicine for the ALZ anxiety I had. I never expected it would give me back some function.

*****Just realized:

I was run down and on very unpleasant emotional roller coaster - felt like dying just a month or so ago

Walking the roads with my dog was becoming too difficult and the loneliness was getting me. 

I used the cbd tincture because I did not want to "waste" it but had zero expectations. It does not FEEL like anything, the "ratio" on this version is 30:1 which is very high CBDs and very low THCs but the effect would be evident to someone around us on daily basis.

Yesterday I headed out with dog expecting to go to corner and back and ended up walking a mile, then swimming in late afternoon - just realized that. I also had rearranged my Quiet Room to be nicer and have been sleeping and forgot hospice nurse was coming so missed the appointment. 

My feeling of being frustrated is still high and I suspect the old thick oil I have used for years was giving me elevated mood, calmness.

I really miss that.

LETS BEAT THIS THING!!!!

BadMoonRising
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:31 PM

I was certified to purchase med mj about a month ago and the young clerk in the dispensary recommended I try a hybrid tincture and another hybrid for smoking. Her recommendation was based on my wanting to alleviate nausea and weight loss associated with the cholinesterase inhibitors. I also mentioned that a little bit of clarity would be a bonus.

I have been reluctant to start back on the aricept because I can't seem to get with the program. The tincture instantly burns my mouth and I have to spit it out or swallow it after 5 or 10 seconds. I really don't know how to roll a joint and thus far, youtube has not helped. (I tried to use a pipe a few months ago and it was a disaster.)

There is something wrong with this picture. LOL

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2018 9:31 PM

I amin Hawaii.  The fruit flies might be floaters.  Ask the eye doctor.

Iris l.

dolor
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2018 12:38 PM

Rising Moon,

You might know all this already but just in case--don't use a tobacco pipe, and always use a screen. You can get them at the same "specialty shop" but pipes aren't sold with screens in them. A screen will stop the herb from getting sucked into your mouth--as it is burning! 

As for rolling, it doesn't have to be neat or tight, and start with a small amount in the paper, folded into an edge of the paper, enveloped. Then roll, and one end of the paper should have a small adhesive strip--again like an envelope. 

Good luck!

alz+
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 10:19 AM

There should be NO burning in a tincture. These are NOT "hemp oil" tinctures sold in smoke shops, they are also not allowed to be called "medicine" but California tinctures have labels with ratios etc.

The 2 different tinctures I have both taste woody but it is not unpleasant like my former oil.

I had bad reaction to Aricept. At first I felt like I was on fire with energy but then things got too weird. I also tried Namenda which gave me nightmares and did nothing for me  so if it does not help or makes things worse, and lowering your dosage does not work it is ok to not take something that does not help or has serious side effects.

I can roll cigarettes and if you have kids or nephews etc they could roll you a bunch. Smoking is supposed to be bad but it takes so little to feel so much better. 

The alternative is those "machine" things that deliver a vapor rather than smoke and I tried 3 brands and could not work them and did not get same benefit as smoking. The benefit is so huge I intend to keep using the cigarette method. 

There are very few pure strains left, everyone tried to make something special but the plants are still basically SATIVA for awake, inspiration, cognition, socializing and then INDICA plants that treat pain, insomnia, appetite, and anxiety.

If there is a better dispensary with more knowledgeable people I would ask for what CGvrs are using for their ALZ patients. By next year dispensaries will have some tinctures or other products that have worked for ALZ and Parkinson's patients but the law will not allow them to be made as "medicine"  unless corporations can get patents and turn them into drugs.

There is also Marinol which is a corporate imitation of cannabis medicine and it works pretty good, according to few people I know who have tried it. The effects is calming and allows people to speak more normally, increase appetite and move about more easily. I just don't know if it works for pain. It is very safe I think.

alz+
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 10:23 AM

Just remembered what I came here to post, signed in again and now forgot it.  Hmmmnnnn.

OK, my  feet have been clenching for ? months? years? my toes curl under like gripping the floor.  That stopped a few days ago. I was brushing my teeth and the floor "felt funny". I looked down and my feet were relaxed, a day later I realized what a big deal that is.

Iris, I went to eye doctor for fruit flies a couple years ago and the night time lightening bolts, retina thing? It is so over I watched the meteor showers! Those little things mean the world to me.

enjoy Hawaii!

Despera-termined
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 9:28 AM

BadMoonRising-----I almost hate to chime in and advise but, back in the day I did experiment with a small pipe.  It looked like a very small wooden box and would fold out to hold just a small amount.  No need of the rolling problem.   
BadMoonRising
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 10:39 PM

You guys are wonderful! Dolor, I'm going to try using your "method" to roll a joint. During my first ever attempt I inserted a tiny screen into a pretty glass pipe. Ugh. God, I feel stupid. Despera-termined, the fold out wooden box thingee sounds great, I'll keep an eye out for one. All of this is assuming I give the smoking another try. I'll have to remind myself I have nothing to lose.

Alz+, first let me apologize if I derailed your thread. The main reason I posted was to let you know that I have been following your helpful posts regarding cbd oil and mmj. I guess I also wanted to share that I'm still willing to try this stuff. According to the label, the tincture is a flavored hybrid of Jack Here and King Kush. The ingredients appear to be ethanol, medical cannabis, natural flavoring and Steva. It tastes gross and yes, it still burns/stings when dropped under the tongue.

The other stuff is Guice (Hybrid). I have not tried this as my first attempt at rolling was a joke. Maybe later.

I think I've used the tincture once in the past week. I tried it multiple times the week before last. <sigh>  I suppose I should seek advice from an mmj expert at a different dispensary.

I'm on 15 mg of namenda and I've just started aricept again. It is SO not going well... I just can't understand how PWD who are older and/or smaller than me tolerate these dementia drugs.

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 11:51 AM

checking in as I am home alone for 3 days as Mister went to visit sister who is very ill.

The tincture from dispensary tastes a little woody and is made with coconut oil.

NOT HEMP OIL

I am feeling very calm.  

If I could go to a dispensary I would, ask what patients with neuro illnesses are finding helpful. One dispensary in California sends a questionaire home with MM patients and is keeping a record of helpful - not helpful and the specifics.

I cleaned up a space to store stuff in kitchen yesterday, slept good with dog close by. Keeper checked in this morning and until I had to speak on the phone I felt very normal. I thought of calling the free bus service and going into town but the fear anxiety flooded in so went for walk. If I do not leave my house or have to interact I feel as normal as it is going to get because of the oil. Without it I am tense and would not attempt to wipe a counter much less what I am able to do.

I have no shame about this anymore. While Aricept and other drugs for dementia work really well for some, the rest of us have to invent our help.

More than 30,700 Americans died from alcohol-induced causes in 2014. There have been zero documented deaths from marijuana use alone.

dolor
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:31 PM

Rising Moon,

Glad to help! It sounds like you were on the right track with your glass pipe though. Just make sure the screen fits snugly at the bottom of the bowl, with no gaps. Umm, adequate size screens can also be obtained from the spout of water faucets.

When you go to light it you may have to suck hard on the pipe to get it burning. Be careful not to burn your eyelashes!

Has the rolling worked? It does get better with practice.

dolor
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 3:33 PM

Weed affected my ability to talk with people, that may be why you felt normal until you had to talk. For me, either someone with me or not at all.
llee08032
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2018 8:01 AM

Iris L. wrote:

I amin Hawaii.  The fruit flies might be floaters.  Ask the eye doctor.

Iris l.

Yeah Iris!!! Hula away!