RSS Feed Print
EO-
sharrona
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 1:05 PM

I have never been one to talk about my worries to anyone. I have never had that luxury. Being widowed at 31 with 3 young daughters, I was instantly mom and dad. I have worked my entire life, my children are now grown & I'm lost. Diagnosed with Early onset in 2016. Doctor said my earlier testing in 2014 should have been the actual diagnosis There, now I have said it. I  apologize in advance for all the info, I just have no idea what to do with my days now.When I do start things, I don't seem to stay on task. Thanks for reading
Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 3:50 PM

Welcome to our world, Sharrna. I'm so glad you found us. Do stay with us.

I'd also advise you to contact your local chapter and see what they have to offer. The help line: 1-800-272-3900 can get you the local #.  Do call during day time hours and make sure you are speaking with the local chapter.  Also ask about support groups and memory Cafes. Are there any memory in the making sessions you can participate in?

Several of we PWD strongly believe in a Best Practices life style:

1. Take meds as directed.

2. Daily physical activity. Goal is to get that heart rate going at a faster than normal ragte for a bit. Recent research has shown that physical activity builds new brain tissue.

3. Cognitive activity daily; a variety is best.

4. Mediterranean Diet. No smoking, limited liquor.

5. Maintain or increase socialization.  We usually do not like noise and large crowds.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 4:08 PM

Welcome, Sharrona.  I am glad that you found us, although I am sorry for your diagnosis.  Feel free to share your thoughts and worries with us.  It is likely that we have had the same thoughts and worries.  I thought I had Alzheimer's Disease at age 57, but my doctor says I am still in the range of cognitive impairment nos.  I follow Best Practices, as Mimi has outlined.  These lifestyle habits have given me the opportunity to function better and to make plans for myself.  

Staying on task is hard because we are easily distracted and it is hard for us to focus.  We have to adapt and do things a new way.  Get rid of distractions.  Avoid multi-tasking.  We women are proud of being able to multitask, but this will no longer be possible.  Focus on one task at a time.   

I call people like us Dementia Pioneers, because we are the first generation of patients who are proactive in our own care.  We can make our own decisions.  It is hard to know what to do and hard even to know what we want.  But I learned a lot from my fellow members.  Please keep reading.  Work with your local chapter.  See if there is an Early Stage Support Group.  Keep posting here for guidance and support.  We can help you.  

Iris L.

llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 7:22 AM

Welcome and thank for joining and reaching out to us. Sharrona, you've taken the risk and now is the time to afford yourself that luxury and make this all about you. 
sharrona
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 3:06 PM

Thank you so much for the info and encouraging words