RSS Feed Print
EO Alz lonely and wishes for a significant other very often - what to do!!??
veebras
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 6:50 PM

Hi! This is my first post here and I just joined. I’m really hoping for some direction and some help in getting my boyfriend’s father some help! He has early onset Alzheimer’s and is 67. He is very lonely and misses having a significant other in his life especially. 

Currently he lives at home with my boyfriend and he goes to an adult day center 4 days per week. Other times he is on his own unfortunately and his friends are pretty much long gone which is sad!! Anyway I’m wondering if there is a way for people with Alz to meet others with Alz, etc. for potential relationships or at least socialization? Almost everyone at the day center he attends are much older and so that isn’t very likely on the personal/romantic relationship side. Just curious if anyone else has been thru this with someone they tried to help in this department and how they did it(?) or if anyone has any ideas or suggestions please? 

I am waiting to hear back from our local chapter regarding a family support group as well.. 

Thanks all

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 8:40 PM

Welcome to our world Veebas. I'm so glad you found us.

In my opinion, more important is what stage he is at.

Funds for Assisted living? Lots of opportunity for socialization. I have to warn you, early Onset is not common, so finding females in his age range may not be there.

veebras
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2018 9:18 AM

He is not able to go into assisted living yet. He isn’t quite there yet but very close.. his son has filed for Medicaid and is waiting on that determination currently. If approved he plans to get him into active day /daycare for the full 5 days a week with transportation included as well. It would be really good for the both of them so praying that goes thru and it should. He is pretty advanced on Alz spectrum I believe but I don’t know exactly either it’s just my guess. He has trouble remembering how to eat/can’t really cut foods anymore so picks everything up. Or the opposite, tries to cut a hamburger etc. he is starting to have accidents peeing, etc.. more recently. And he cannot use a telephone, he won’t answer it nor make calls.