RSS Feed Print
alz+(1)
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2018 12:50 PM

thinking how beautiful it must be where you are with all the leaves turning.....
alz+
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2018 8:51 AM

It WAS spectacular but very short. Winter started already.

the news - I am on my own with the dog. can't recall what I have already shared or when, being in charge is a whole new experience.

Mister did come by and clean out most of the basement's worst. That was big help and air quality noticbly different. Finding things that should be repairs and can not tackle it.

not sure if there will be a time again when I can share more - for now it seems I have lost 20% of abilities over past month. 

love to all

Jo C.
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2018 10:22 AM

Love being sent right back at you, alz+.    You have traveled far and bravely, as things settle in, may all be for the very best.

We will look for messages from you whenever you feel up to Posting; in the meantime, even  though you are not on the Board, know you are thought of often and with affection from your Forum Friends.

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2018 2:54 PM

please post an hello as often as possible
Lane Simonian
Posted: Monday, November 5, 2018 3:57 PM

Hoping for a relatively brief winter and spring flowers before long there.  With great gratitude for all the support and insight that you have given to us here.
alz+
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:25 AM

as usual what I dreaded is not as difficult as what actually happens.

realisticly, I might last 3 months on my own before decline in stamina/ cognitive abilities is too much to stay in my house by myself.

no one is going to live with me,   house needs repairs in spring still, beyond me to do.

I feel like I am one infection or broken bone from losing it all. wish I could change that from "losing" it all to giving away remaining burdens.

Made me cry to read posts, being remembered. I love all of you too.

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, November 7, 2018 6:29 PM

Stay strong, Alz+!

{{{{{{{{ Alz+ }}}}}}}}

Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 11:49 AM

People help other long distance all of the time...can we help in any way...
alz+
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 4:24 AM

Can not function with competing sources of sound, used to type while lsitening to radio or a tv playing. Noticed I would get irritated when I could hear TV in other room while using computer in bed. 

Sometimes I turn off everything and just mentally soak in silence, like a hot bath for the brain.

A couple days ago I lost internet function. Keeper set up all that for years, I became technology averse with beginning of ALZ years ago. I thought it would come back, tried the unplugging router routine but it didn't work. I could not use my phone either, I could not text which meant I could not call for help if I needed it.

I would check during night, nothing. I tried texting a neighbor and she responded. Could not send texts to daughter or anyone else. Can't recall what happened but a close call or severe weather or something and no way to get help. I tried several phone numbers for service provider, none of them would connect to support. By 5am I was worked up and found a number in phone book, got support, explained ALZ + panic + no tech skill left + no one to call + wointer ice no car = need help. She was saying I needed to calm down and do what she asked. It went on and on and then she said I had to unplug the whole system so I am struggling to move heavy furniture to ge to plug, caught a cord, yelled into phone, a lamp came off a table as I pulled plug on system.

I saved the lamp but not the bulb. Unplugging the "system" ended phone service too, not my cell phone, a house phone I used to call support. I thought police would show up, thought customer support woman would be concerned. I got the plug back in wall socket and internet came back on. Profound relief with shivers from the anxiety.

No police came. No one called back to see if I was ok. In a few months there is no way I will be able to find a service number or ... handle this sort of event. 

My neighbor did check in on me again, brought me some food. I spent hours untangling cords behind tv and internet boxes. 

Right now it is snowing and silent. 

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 11:19 AM

do you have an old fashioned land line...one cord to wall only...no electric plug in?do you have an alert button that you ware? Anyone living alone needs to have one of these!
Mimi S.
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:04 PM

I had an alert button; never used it, but peace of mind when living by myself was worth it.

From research and other experience. Those that detect a fall are not reliable.  Since i was still driving and out a liot, I tried those with a GPS. In my rural area they were a failure.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 12:28 PM

Mimi....I am researching for mine...hopefully they improve yearly. I will certainly post when I make a decision.
Seaside
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 1:59 PM

When My husband passed away, Thanksgiving-time 3 years ago, our children insisted I get one of those alert necklaces. I told them that I didn't want another contract for something, adding all of the other excuses that I could dream up. (I live 2 hours from all of our children.) So my daughter suggested that I get an Apple watch. My generation of the watch needs to be paired with my iPhone. The watch has a button on the side that, if you hold it down long enough, it calls 9-1-1. I do feel more confident with it. She and I also share a Find a Friend app. So she can track me when she desires, which I really don't object to her doing. I can see where she is also. There was a time when where I was threw her into a panic...I was visiting a friend in the hospital and she assumed I was in the ER or something! She told me last week that the newest Apple watch will have a fall monitor, in addition to enhanced cardiac monitoring, and will "know" when to call 9-1-1. Mine does have cardiac monitoring, which I really appreciate since I emerged from caregiving with afib. The watch pairs with my iPhone to record several cardiac functions which my cardiologist found handy to review. I wish it had a blood pressure monitor!

I also want to add how very, very much I had appreciated alz+ information when I was caring for my husband. I would come over to this forum and she would always thoughtfully answer my questions. Thank you, dear alz+! I wish I lived right next door to you to help you with whatever you wanted of me! 

Love, Betty  xoxo

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 2:09 PM

wonderful info...thanks!

just googled the watch....two comments, it is easily set off erroneously and the response is to send people, no verbal response..

alz+
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2018 7:46 PM

interesting. I had not thought of one of those necklace buttons. the watch would be another thing for me to keep track of.

Betty - I am glad I was helpful. It was fulfilling to be able to speak about things, to at least question what we think we witness in someone who does not move much or speak much.

My trend is very close to my father's dementia progress. He died after a broken hip was repaired and the wound infected. Looking back, it was probably the anesthetic from surgery that left him silent. At the time I did not understand that, also did not know about B12 collapse after anesthetic.

my dog is dancing and "needs" to go out again. 

love to all

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 9:27 AM

What frightened me was two friends broke their hips and had no way to get help. One I found in her driveway the other was found by her husband several hours after she fell.

I try to  have my cell phone within reach but i do not do well with that.

My dog Luke used to always let me know when he needed out. Now he lets me know he has gone...lol. Thankfully it is always in the same area. He is fine for 12 hours upstairs at night but sometimes only 2 hours during the day. I love him just the same....he is a very old soul.

alz+
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 10:02 AM

#1 - my dog pees in house, vet putting her on estrogen tomorrow (like me!) I have to let her out (with me in boots coat hat gloves) many times a day and at night.

I have those blue bed wetting pads I put under towel and she sleeps on towel so saved some carpet.

#2 - broken hips - it's always in back of my mind. because I don't think I could manage another electronic thing, what about those cameras in home? tv ads show woman monitoring her faraway mom thru a camera. People hide them in nursing homes to protect the helpless.

oy vey

jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:29 PM

There is absolutely a way to be monitored. It probably does not do as good a job as the button w/GPS especially if you are walking the dog.

I have the pee pads but no towel on top. Too much laundry.