RSS Feed Print
neuro testing finally finished
hopeful30
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:57 AM

as of dec. 20 i completd my neuro testing, i go back jan 12 for "feedback" whatever that is then on to neurologist it went very badly, i could se right away that my short term memory is basically shot and i couldnt even do simple math or other tests that my 5 year old grandson could have done, but i expected it so i wasnt even surprised only sad. that it is finally done is such a relief, 10 hours of extreme frustration and mental pain. i wouldnt wish it on anyone, its such a wakeup that things are getting bad. however i do try to take it day by day and not get too stressed. you have all been so wonderful, i hope i can continue weather permitting to chat with my friends!!!
Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:04 PM

Welcome to this online support group, hopeful.  You are not alone in what you are going through.  We on this board have different diagnoses but we are all dealing with memory loss. 

But our lives are not lost!  There is much that can be done.  Please get acquainted with Best Practices.  Basicially, that means;

taking whatever medications might be prescribed,

eating a heart and brain-healthy Mediterranean diet of fish, fruits and vegetables and olive oil,    Make sure your vitamin levels are good. 

getting exercise,

stimulating your brain i.e., keep learning new things, and

continuing to socialize. 

Once you know what you are facing, you can make the necessary changes to be able to enjoy your life again.

I was a pediatrician 24 years ago before I had to stop practicing due to difficulty with my memory.  I was diagnosed and treated for systemic lupus for many years.  2 1/2 years ago I began treatment with Exelon patch and Namenda after testing.  My diagnosis is cognitive impairment nos, not otherwise specified.  I've been on the board for three years come February.

Please come back and tell us more about yourself.  Are you still working?  The Alzheimer's Association has arranged to "fast-track" applications for Social Security Disability Insurance so that early onset people can avoid delay in receiving benefits.  Do you have access to private long term disability benefits from your job?

Post whenever you have questions or need support.

Iris L.

Ttom
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 7:30 PM

Hello hopeful30  and welcome. I see that our  Iris L.  already wecomed you an d provided good information. I'm glad that you found us a please come back often. We need your support! 

My disclaimer:
I'm not a professional in this area, only a person with AD that cares about others and can express myself yet. Diagnosed at age 58 in Stage 5, now appear firmly in Stage 4 for now- wonderful meds! I 'm 62 now..

We encourage you to call the Alzheimer's Association's 24/7 Helpline

1-800-272-3900 . Ask for a Care Consultant who will be available

Helpful hints for slowing the progression:

1. Get Early detection
  2. Start the required drug therapy
  3. Avoid stress
  4. Mediterranean diet with antioxidants and Omega 3
  5. Mental and physical exercise

LATER... Tom

JAB
Posted: Sunday, January 1, 2012 12:27 PM

See what happens when you change your name, Lorene? 

I am sorry the testing was so very difficult for you ... but at least it's over now.  We will all be anxious to hear what the neuro has to say on your follow-up visit.

(I love your avatar.)

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 1, 2012 4:23 PM

hopeful I did not realize that you were also lorene.  I've been searching for "lorene" to come to the new boards.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 1, 2012 4:32 PM

hopeful I did not realize that you were also lorene.  I've been searching for "lorene" to come to the new boards. 

Iris L. 

hopeful30
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:58 AM

JAB and everyone the hopeful30 happened when i got on the new site, it just happened that way. i didnt even know it would come up and not let everyone know who i was!!! and the avatar (KellyAnn, the librarian helped me pick it) is in honor of my sister who passed and she adored pandas!!! thank you JAB for picking up on my real name, how did you guess?? my neuro testing was just formality to update the one done 5 years ago. i really declined as i knew i had, no surprise there! wed was the MRI of my neck and shoulder to determint the nerve problem. surgery looks like the answer, but its hopefully minimally invasive so im "hopeful" Lorene