RSS Feed Print
Metholated folic Acid
ffwife
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 12:35 PM

My new Psch Dr put me on NAC and metholated folic acid. My insurance says that metholated Folic Acid is a medical food and won't pay for it.

Is anyone taking metholated Folic Acid and if so do you feel it it worth it?

The idea is that this form of folic acid gets into the brain faster without needing additional steps to make it bioacctive.

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 8:47 PM

FFwife, when do you go to the Mayo Clinic? 

I found a link on wikipedia, which as you may know, is not a documented source. 

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Levomefolic_acid  

Methylated folic acid is the natural form of folate.  Unmethylated folic acid is the synthetic form that is found in vitamin pills.  10% of people lack an enzyme to metabolize the synthetic form to the active form in the body.  

I really know little about this.  I wonder if the doctor tested your folic acid level to determine that your body is deficient?  If your doctor believes you need this medication because of a deficiency, the doctor can petition the insurance company to allow coverage. 

You might also post on the Clinical Trials board.  Some of the other members might give you a better answer. 

Iris L.

JAB
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 6:57 PM

ffwife, is "NAC" actually "Cerefolin NAC"?  That already contains methylated folic acid.  Why did the psych prescribe both Cerefolin and extra methylated folic acid?