RSS Feed Print
My Son Broke Down!
younghope
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 8:27 AM

The night before was a nightmare, my son and I got into an argument over what neither of us can really remember and he had a massive breakdown. He was yelling at me and crying, how he hates this disease, he is so tired of his life!. He threw things, knocked the phone off the wall, this is a unfortunate learned behavior from his step-dad. I was crying I was so upset, i call the crisis number. Sad to say they were really speechless, didn';t seem to know what to say to me. After awhile  my son calmed down and we were able to talk alittle. 

He contacted one of the staff members at our local chapter that he felt comfortable talking to. We went in and had over a 2 hour visit yesterday and decided that somehow, someway, I have to get him on my car insurance. I have given up driving to the city. But I think I can still do okay here in town as it is so small. So when we go to the city, my son will be doing the driving.

He didn't know that I had my meds all messed up for several months, so he is going to help me with thiose as well to make suree I am taking the right dosage. Alot to put on a 17 year old. That is why he is so angry with his step-dad, he feels that he dumped me on him.

I talked to people at my church last night when they asked me how things were going and I told the person that aksed me that i was progressing and she said that her and her daughter just didn't see that I had anytrhing wrong with me. I told her that  the church see me about 2.5 gours a week, come and spend a day with me and I am sure they would see the difference. By the time I was done talking to her, i think she understood more.

It has been a rough couple of days. I am going in tomorrow and speak to my son's counselor as according to him she has been a support system for him at a school which I am thankful for.

We have been on quiote a journey these last 10 years and now I think I am starting to see the down side of it, at least in pieces.

Just keep us in your prayers.

JAB
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:50 AM

Oh, Tracy, I am so sorry.  Your son is a very remarkable young man, and I am so very impressed with him.   

I suspect that he is angry with his step-dad, not for "dumping" you on him, but for abandoning both of you.  And quite frankly, I'm really angry with his step-dad for doing that, too! 

Of course, the two of you are in my prayers. 

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:51 PM

Tracy, you have to make more use of other resources.  You can't do it alone.  You must keep searching.  The Alz Assoc was fiinally able to hook me up with an organzation that helps seniors and disabled continue to live independently at home.  You need transportation help and medication management.  Is there a Visiting Nurse service that can set your medications up in a medicine box for you?

Let the school counselor know of your needs.  That office may have access to recources that are directed towards students with family issues.

Iris L.

Cheryle Gardiner
Posted: Friday, January 20, 2012 9:39 AM

Tracy, it sounds to me as if you handled it the best way you can for now. Your son sounds like a wonderful young man, which is always a good sign that you've been a wonderful mom.

From another mom's perspective, just know that teenaged sons and their moms can have these kinds of horrible, yelling arguments even when AD isn't involved! I think it's some kind of rite of passage.

You're doing the right things, and I'm betting that things will calm down a bit now that he's been able to express his anger and frustration. Yes, his stepdad was/is a horror, but it sounds like your son is determined to choose the better path.

Blessings.