RSS Feed Print
Afforodable health insurance
Michelle 50
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 1:03 PM

Any ideas on where to go for affordable health insurance with EOAD. I just found out that Cobra will cost me 1,300.00 a month and there is no way we can afford that.
Myriam
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 2:51 PM

Michelle, you may want to contact your state's insurance commissioner. Look for their website online. My state's insurance commissioner has advisors that help in answering insurance questions, including on health insurance.
Michelle 50
Posted: Sunday, January 22, 2012 3:30 PM

Thanks Myriam I will do that!
SteveSanJose
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:09 PM

Best chance is Medi-Cad or Medi-Care. Medi-Cad if you are low income, comes with SSI Disability. Medi-Care come with Social Security Disability or SSDI, that you can get at any age, any income: based on job history. EOAD makes insurence premiums high, because it is a prexisting medical condition.
Michelle 50
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:30 AM

Thanks Tom,

But the fact is my income is too high for either at this point. I believe if I am able to get SSD then I can get medicare after 2 years. Not sure what thats about but that is what I've read. Unfortunately by the time I pay privately  for insurance I will then be below the poverty level. I'm still searching because that does not seem right to me.

Wish me luck!

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:46 PM

I'm sorry Michelle, but I don't understand your question.  I have Medicare (from SSDI) and private health insurance (from long term disability from my prior employer).   

Myriam gave you good advice about contacting your state's insurance commissioner for information. 

The new health care act prohibits pre-existing conditions as a cause for denial of insurance.  But the premiums may be very high.  I have a friend who, in her late 40s and healthy, paid $900/month for an individual health insurance policy.   

Iris L. 

SteveSanJose
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:01 PM

I get $ 12,000 a year from my pention I get SSI and SSDI. SSD program called SSDI is Social Security retirement that you can get early if your disabled, any age any income. It is based only on Disability and Work History. With it come Medi-Care automadicaly. SSI other Social Security program that is the income based disability one. All states thought the fedieral government have the two SSI and SSDI Social Security programs. You may still have a co payment though, but it will be income not disablity based.
Michelle 50
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 7:11 AM

Steve,

It is my understanding that you have to be on SSDI for 2 years before your eligible for medicare,which does not make sense to me. I know this was mentioned at the SSA Compassionate Allowance forum on EOAD back in 2009 but it never went anywhere.  This makes it very hard for people like myself financially. Cobra is very costly but at this point it's my only option. Hopefully the Alzheimers Association will work on getting medicare at the same time as SSDI  for people with EOAD that have to leave a job and loose their insurance benefits. 

SteveSanJose
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 1:32 PM

I got SSDI Febuary 2010 got my first check April 2010, with a back payment to Febuary. At the same time I got Medi-Care also back dated to Feburay 2010. The Fast track to SSI and SSDI for EOAD people also now covers Medi-Care as of January 2010. Here is the link for information

http://www.alz.org/living_with_alzheimers_social_security_disability.asp 

Michelle 50
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 2:48 PM

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure how you were able to get medicare without the 24 month waiting period that is unless you were 65 at the time. Are you sure it wasn't medicaid? I looked at the link you sent and I did not see anything about medicare connected with the compassionate allowance other than the compassionate allowance ruling did opened up the door for people under 65 to receive medicare benefits. Just in case I missed somthing on that site I put a call out to the medicare office and was told at this point there are only 2 exceptions to the 24 month waiting period for people under 65 and they are end stage kidney failure and ALS. I would say consider your self very lucky if you indeed were under 65 and got medicare from the onset of your disability.

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 3:38 PM

Michelle, Please call the help line :1-800-272-3900 and ask them that question.
Michelle 50
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 3:52 PM

Hi Mimi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I just called and was informed that with EOAD you do have to wait the 24 months to be eligible for medicare benefits.I do hope the Alzheimers Assoc will continue fighting this one!

Polar Bear

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 5:58 PM

Michelle, I take it you don't have long term disability.  Did you quit your job or were you fired? 

Iris L.

SteveSanJose
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 9:56 PM

There was no 24 month Medi-Care rule in 2010 when I got SSDI. It started in 2011 to cut budget.Not good use of tax dollors. Your said there is a bill introduced to stop the wateing period. Looking for info on the bill.you said but cound not find any. If I  do I'll post it.

Light Bulb

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 10:53 PM

Michelle, I was just reminded of something.  In early 2003, my rheumatologist sent me for a SPECT scan because I kept complaining of memory problems.  The report came back unremarkable.  The doctor wrote in my chart, that I was "bummed" that the report was unremarkable.  Social Security used his progress note to drop me from SSDI.  I had to gather my other medical records, put in an appeal, and go for a personal interview.   

Fortunately, my appeal was successful.  I was very upset with the doctor and changed to another doctor.  He was a world-reknown expert in lupus but he really messed up my records.  It's very important what the doctors write in your medical records. 

Iris L.

Michelle 50
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:50 AM

Steve,

That make sense, you' re the lucky one. I had just read a statement that was said by a DR at the compassionate allowance hearing back in 2009. You can listen to the hearing online and also print out the transcripts for the day. I'll look to see if I can get the link. Any it was just briefly mentioned. Like I said I do hope this is something the Alz Assoc will work on going forward.

Michelle           

http://www.ssa.gov/compassionateallowances/hearings0729alt.htm 

Polar Bear 

Michelle 50
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:06 AM

Hi Iris,

Doctors can really make a mess out of things can't they. That was a pretty unprofessional opinion for him to state in your records. I know one of the reasons I was denied was that the Dr stated that there was improvement with the new medications. He was talking about my anxiety but did not state that. I did request for reconsideration and I was told that they are fast tracking that also.In the meantime I have seen all my Dr's and asked them to please make their notes clearer. I am hoping to hear something in the next week or so.  I went out of work on disability I am receiving my short term benefits for 3 months and then will be getting long term.

Michelle          Polar Bear 

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 12:04 PM

Michelle, having long term disability benefits is very important!  In my case LTD comes with medical and dental insurance.  My benefits coordinate with Medicare, and act as a Medi-gap policy.   

This is a  benefit provided by my employer.  I do not have to pay any premiums.  I also have drug coverage, so I do not have to participate in Medicare Part D.  I do not have a "doughnut hole" like the Medicare recipients.  Long term disability benefits will last until age 65 or 66, whichever will be my normal retirement age for my regular pension.   

Check to see if you will continue your medical and dental and drug benefits.  You should not have to rely on COBRA.  

Iris L. 

Michelle 50
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:49 AM

Iris,

I will have to look into the long term benefit plan as it differs from the short term. All I know is for the moment I have to apply for Cobra as my company's ins coverage ends on 1/31/12.

Esther
Posted: Monday, February 6, 2012 7:57 PM

Michelle 50--I feel with you.  I have been researching this since I realized my husband was losing his job and health insurance at age 63. My job didn't hire full time so no insurance.  All calls I have made (in PA) tell me that there is indeed a 24 month waiting period for medicare-the compassion allowance only gets one on disabiity quicker so the 24 month waiting period starts quicker.  Our COBRA is also $1100 a month-I had to retire from my job to move closer to family to care for husband so that amount is impossible.  As of now it looks like we will be going without for 6 months-he will then be eligible for medicare and I hope to qualify for PA Fair Care.
JAB
Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:48 PM

Hi, Esther, welcome to the boards.

It is so unfair that early-onset dementia patients fall through the cracks like that!  The Alz Assoc is working hard to lobby Congress to change the laws, but of course, it takes time.  At least they were successful at helping get the Compassionate Allowances changed to include early-onset dementia.

FYI, all of our members are free to read and post on any forum.  However, each forum is targeted at a particular group or topic.  This forum is primarily for our members who have early-onset dementia themselves.  (That obviously doesn't keep me from posting here.  I am caring for my husband, who has AD.)  I'd like to invite you to also join us on the Caregiver Forum, which is for caregivers who have any sort of relationship with the loved one, and is by far our largest and most active forum ... and also please join us on the Spouse/Partner Caregiver Forum, which is smaller but more focused on issues that are unique to us who are caring for spouses/partners.  These are the first two forums on the Message Boards index.