RSS Feed Print
2 more operations need in Feb
SteveSanJose
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:44 PM

Going to need two more operations in February. My PCP did some blood work when I was complaining of stomach problems. When he got back the lab results he referred me to a Gastroeterilgist. He took one look to my records and said I needed a Sigmoidoscopy and a EGD operation.  Are going to be the same day as outpatient, at a hospital. My medical problems seem to come in groups. There are times when every time I go to a doctor he finds something new. My Gastroeterilgest put me on two more meds, so I'm up to 18 now total. Feel like I just want EOAD, I can deal with that. But a lot of people with AD also seam to have other medical issues.

Shocked

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:00 PM

Steve, what is an EGD operation?  esophageal, gastric, duodenal operation?   

What kind of sedation will be used?  There were many good threads on the old board regarding anesthesia.  They are lost now. 

18 medications are a lot.  Ask your PCP if medication interactions may be causing some of your stomach troubles. 

Iris L. 

SteveSanJose
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 11:33 PM

OK -  EGD - A flexible mini tube with a camera is insurted in your mouth and into your stomach, looking for stocach problems. Small repairs can be done and a biopsy can be done. - Sigmoidoscopy - Same tube but in the Colon, looking for Colon Cancer, can also detect other colon problems. He will switch tubes. I will be sadated, and num, but awake for both. Both in and out of the hospital same day. Both Feb 8. My case manager will drive me home. Not related to all my meds. I always ask that when you take 18. Will tell you how it goes.

Jump For Joy

John891
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:25 AM

EGD sounds like an endoscopy.  I had one done in September.  Well good luck with the surgeries Steve.  I also had a colonoscopy and then had after an ultrasound they discovered gallstones.  I had my gallbladder removed and 4 months later I have never felt so good. No more stomach pains and other stomach complaints like diarrhea have gone away. 

John

Ttom
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:15 AM

My wife is going to have the same proceedires done next week. We made the docotor promise to do the mounth first if he uses the same scope!

Shocked 

John891
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:46 AM

Tom,

That was way too funny. Hahahaha

John

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:49 AM

My 2 cents: if you're going to have the sigmoidoscopy, you should have the entire colon examined, a colonoscopy. The prep is the same and the one you are doing leaves most of the colon unexamined. 

You are not having an operation, according to my understanding. You are having a procedure done.  Although if they do find small growths they just cut them out. 

The prep is the worst part, although it's a lot better than it once was. Just don't plan to do anything the rest of the day. Eat when you get home ad rest as needed. Push the liquids.

And for all reading this: When was the last time you had a colonoscopy? Never? Get thyself to the doctor ASAP. My first one saved my life!

Some doctors still just advise getting a stool sample. Hey, by the time there is blood found in a stool, too much time has gone by. 

My lecture for the day.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:14 AM

Mimi is right, colonoscopy is the way to go.  Drs like sigmoidoscopies because they can be done in the office without sedation.  But they are not complete.  I believe Steve will be getting a colonoscopy, since he will be sedated.  I am very familiar with endoscopy, I just was not familiar with the term EGD operation.

Iris L.

SteveSanJose
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 1:20 PM

Had a coloncopy 4 1/2 years ago. Medi-Care only pays for one every 5 years. So I am due in November for my next. Prep is sinilar but with the Coloncopy I drank this liquid that gave me the runs, with a Sigmoidoscopy, you use 3 ememas. Both procedures are going to be an hospital operating room, but as a outpatient. That's why I called them operations. While these procedures are usually done in surgery centers, but my insurance prefers the hospital. I think it is because of my other numerous medical conditions. Same anesthesia that they use in Cononcopy, had no problem with it then. Gasrolenterolgist knows I have EOAD, and all the meds I take.

Date of the procedures is Feb 8

Computer

hopeful30
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:58 PM

Steve, LOVE your faces, i laughed out loud!! wish i could figure them out, and no dont try to explain, my son still cant help me understand football!!! Tom you are hysterical, ive had both tests  one colon. and a bunch of upper endoscopies and they do use different scopes LOL.Steve, i am on a wonderful stomache medicine, i calll it a "miracle" it helped me so much. i still cant eat like i did and have poor appetite, but what i do eat doesnt give me pain. i often wonder if EOAD has something to do with all my other physical problems, i seem to have something new all the time! they do an endoscopy once a year on me to make sure all is ok, i wish you luck on your tests and take care ok and keep the adorable faces coming, how do you get them to move???
Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 4:32 PM

hopeful30 wrote:
 i often wonder if EOAD has something to do with all my other physical problems, i seem to have something new all the time!
Sometimes I think our bodies are like cars. You get a new model, then after a while you have to buy new breaks, replace the muffler, etc. in addition to the regular oil changes, etc. :)) laughing

SteveSanJose
Posted: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:20 PM

Yes but some days I feel like this.

Walking Garbage Can ROTFL 

go to go now,

Bathroom

SteveSanJose
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:05 PM

Still not going back to ADHC. My PCP wont clear me to go back, till my two procedures are done on the eighth. Wants me just to rest. Bummer, I miss ADHC.

Pouty

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:54 PM

You're lucky, Steve that you have a doctor who seems to be concerned about you.  I've never had a doctor who was concerned about my rest.

Iris L.

SteveSanJose
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:56 PM

I have had the same PCP for 30 years.

Grandpa

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:08 PM

That's remarkable, Steve.  I envy you. 

Even the doctors I've had for a few years don't seem to understand me. 

Iris L. 

frustrated047
Posted: Thursday, February 2, 2012 4:41 PM

Iris L. wrote:

That's remarkable, Steve.  I envy you. 

Even the doctors I've had for a few years don't seem to understand me. 

Iris L. 

I will second that! 

Good Luck Steve with those operations.