RSS Feed Print
Improvement in memory
John891
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 8:05 AM
I guess I would like to share my story again.  I have had a decline in memory since 2008.  I was 35 at the time.  I never checked it out because I was depressed and did not care and plus I had no insurance.  Last year I went to a  neurologist and he did a battery of tests on me and the only negative thing that showed up was low testosterone.  He said my levels were those of an 85 year old man.  That was in August.  I was sent to a urologist who did some testing on me and discovered that my prolactin levels were exaggerated and he said that caused low testosterone.  The urologist figured my anti depressants were the culprit.  I went to my psychiatrist and he said Risperdal is notorious for raising prolactin levels.  He slowly weaned me off until I withdrew completely from it in December.  I read that anti depression medication can also affect memory.  I was taking three other meds besides the anti-psychotic Risperdal.  I went off them about 2 months ago and guess what my testosterone levels went up.  I still have a long way to go to reach my goal which is supposed to be in the 700's for a man who is 39.  I have not felt as depressed as I used to, I am more motivated and have a stronger desire to live.  So in my opinion, don't believe the lie that you need to stay on anti depressants for life.    Well anyway, I have seen some improvement in my memory.  For instance, I am able to recall names of things and details more easier than I used to.  I still have difficulty remembering unique words that I have never heard.  I also still find it challenging to remember the last episode of a tv show.  But I am not forgetting things as much. I am more alert.  I used to forget stuff in seconds and it would not come back.  Now, its much more better.  I am able to retain and recall far better than I used to.   I still can't remember a new face that well if I see a new person a 2nd time.  Also remembering dreams are still a challenge.  I don't know what the future will hold.  Perhaps I may recover my memory 100 percent, but really doubt it.  I am content and very happy to have seen a great improvement.  If my memory was as good as I used to be I would return to college to complete my degree.  I'm not sure I'll be able to hold down another job since I have struggles with the one I have, but thankfully I'm managing my job well since I work independently.  But my point is that for those of you who think you have dementia, it might be a hormonal problem or medications that can be affecting your cognition.  Don't think you have AD. Get checked out.
younghope
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 9:08 AM

Thank you for sharing your story John. I hope you realize that you have been blessed by being able to share with us and getting a second chance at life so to speak. I wish you well in all that you do!

Tracy

JAB
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 4:24 PM

John, yours is such a wonderful story, that I hope you'll keep repeating it and giving us updates for years to come!

We're all rooting for you!

John891
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 4:25 PM
Tracy, that means a lot to me.  So thanks.   John

John891
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 4:28 PM
JAB and thanks to you too.  You have supported me since I joined this group in October of 2010.  Not only with me but with my mom.  I will certainly keep coming here since it's therapeutic for me and I hope I am reaching out to others too.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 9:17 PM

Yea for you, John!  I'm so glad your memory problem and depression turned out to be medication related, because that's the easiest problem to correct--stop the med!  Carefully, of course. 

It's good that you had doctors who took the time to do a thorough investigation.  More of your memory may return if you give it more time.  I'm glad you're able to perform your work so losing your income won't be a problem.  

Please keep coming back and let us know how you are doing. 

Iris L.   

John891
Posted: Saturday, February 4, 2012 10:17 PM
Iris, thanks but I'm still struggling.  I wish I could say hey I'm cured but I'm not.  But let's hope for the best.  And if not life goes on John

Geegee
Posted: Sunday, February 5, 2012 12:50 PM

John, that's great news!  Your story is an example of how important it is to look at every possible reason for memory issues.  It's a story with an encouraging ending for you and I am so very happy for you!

Im glad the hormonal issues are getting addressed and your removing the offending drug!

I hope your memory begins to improve more as days go by.  Be patient is all I can advise. 

You have been given reallyencouraging news.  Good for you!

We still want you here to share your story and support others in the future.