RSS Feed Print
gaining weight and thought if someone/people were interested we could help each other?
mish
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:41 AM

hi, I am Mish, 43   with EOAD and on the exelon patch. I have always been tall and thin, never had issues with weight. Eat pretty healthy. Italian food is my down fall! But I do try to make it as healthy as possible. Anyway, since I have been on the patch,  I have been craving things that I have not craved since college- and that was a  LONG time ago! lol. dorittos and chocolate? (an example) I never used to eat this stuff, now if the cravings don't go away ,I give in but not a big amount. I used to exercise daily but I don't seem to have the motivation to do alot.I went through my clothes, and that was an ordeal! I love clothes! So many outfits did not fit. I weighed myself, which I don't like to do- I don't want to be a slave to the scale.I gained 15 pounds in 7 months.  not cool!

I started yesterday with doing exercises and will today. I put a reminder on phone that says exercise! no excuses, and a picture of a really great outfit on the refrig. that I want to fit into.

I was wondering if anyone would like to join me and cheer each other on, motivate each other ? I don't want to join a gym, I have the equipment at home and I live on the water so I can walk for free. I just have a hard time with motivation. AND those commercials showing all that good food  does not help!

I just thought it might be nice to help and do something together that can benefit us all.  I  trust this site 100% so I thought I would ask.

thanks -

Mish 

Now I am going to go and do my yoga! wish me luck in loosing 15 lbs.

Would love company!

Lisa428
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2012 11:04 AM

Hi Mish,

I am here to tell you that I had gained a lot of weight in the beginning of my diagnosis.  It's terrible!  My clothes didn't fit either.

I am here to be your cheerleader!!  You can do it but you need to exercise every day.  I know that sounds rough.  I've been doing it for several years and my weight is finally coming off.

First, the motivation!  Then, setting your mind to it. Finally, do it and be consistant.

You can do it, Mish.  I believe in you.

Try to buy healthier foods instead of chips and candy.  I know it is difficult but you are a winner.

This, you can control.

Good Luck

Your friend in EOAD and dieting/exercising.

Lisa

Myriam
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2012 2:40 PM

Mish, I gained weight, too, but in the last 2 months I've lost 10 pounds. I have 9 pounds more to lose to reach my ideal weight.  It's not been easy. I love sugar and salt!
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:00 PM

Mish, what a great idea!  I have often thought about a weight control group just for us patients here.  We could post our weekly weight loss (not the actual weight) and our weekly exercise accomplishments.

I'm the opposite of you.  When I first began Exelon patch it acted like an appetite suppressant.  I thought, "Wow, it can work on my memory and my weight at the same time!"  Alas, the appetite suppressant aspect did not persist.  My appetite blossomed again, and my weight has gone up and down, like a yo-yo.

Last January I started my first formal weight loss program at my medical center after a recommendation from the PCP.  I participated in two 8 week sessions, a total of 16 weeks, but only lost 5 lbs.  I was so disappointed in myself.  I knew what I should be doing but I did not seem to have the interest in following-though.  Basically we were taught about eating lots of veggies and fruit, portion control, exercise and increased activity, and modifying our environment to limit mindless overeating.  All good topics to know.

I also watch television weight loss shows, so I see that morbidly obese people can succeed if they continue on their programs.    In fact, I already know this because I have successfully loss 100 lbs myself and kept most of it off.  I'm now yo-yoing with the same 25-30 lbs I have lost and put back on over the past 18 years. 

I know it is not external factors, it is me.  What keeps me from being consistent in my eating and activity plans?  Well, the first thing is NOT planning.  What is the saying--if you fail to plan, you will plan to fail.  That is my first downfall.  I don't plan.  Actually, I plan, but I don't follow my plan.

Just before I sat down at the computer I was thinking about going for my walk.  I have been in the habit of walking every day, at least 6 days a week.  I got up to 30 minutes, which was good for me.  In the past I used to exercise (walking, biking, or swimming) for 1-2 hours, but 30 min is enough for right now because of trouble with my back and my knees.  I also do calisthenics (pushups and crunches and squats) and work with light weights.

From about early July to now I have lost 12 lbs.  That's good, but I can do better.  I want to be consistent.  I am happy to partner with anyone on this board who wants to exercise and eat healthfully to lose weight.  It will help us with Best Practices and with controlling heart disease, hypertension, stroke risk factors, and diabetes.  I'm also a borderline diabetic so I MUST be serious about my eating.  I have learned that eating low glycemically has helped control the carb cravings.  I'm VERY HAPPY about getting rid of the cravings!  HURRAY!!!

Who else wants to join us?

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:43 AM

I don't really eat candy/chips but once in a while I have to give in. I always keep fresh fruits and veggies around. tomatoes and mozz are one of my fav's! I need to get motivated, its hard with no energy.

I did work out the last 2 days and let me tell you-I am sore!!!!!!!

I don't know if this peri-menapause thing is a cause, but this weight is too much for me. I want to loose 20 lbs.    I will work out today but really have no energy so I dont know how long I will last but I will do it. thank you so much for your support!

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 11:07 AM

Mish, don't worry so much about not having enough energy to exercise.  When I began exercising, I could only walk for 5 minutes--2 1/2 min out, and 2 1/2 min back.  You have to advance slowly, to your tolerance level.  But you WILL advance as your muscles get stronger.

I lost over 100 lbs without exercising--by eating low fat.  The nutritional component of your health plan is very important.  But just eating low fat is not enough.  We have to work on getting all of our nutrients in the proper amounts and proportions.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I received much encouragement from three doctors.  The neurologist warned me about my elevated blood pressure, the cardiologist warned me about my elevated cholesterol and the endocrinologist warned me about elevated blood sugars.  So getting to a good weight and maintaining my nutrition is of vital medical importance to me.

Yesterday I walked for 33 minutes.  The weather is not so hot, down from the 100s and 90s, so it's easier to walk in the late afternoons.  I usually listen to the radio when I walk but a friend suggested that I do what she does, which is to listen to audiobooks.  I might look into that.

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:04 AM

Iris I guess its just us! lol

my blood levels -sugar, chol., etc all good. (thank God)

today i put some app's on my phone to tell you about amount of fat, etc. when out and shopping.

I rode the bike for 7.5 miles! I was sweating my tush off but I felt really good.

the diet says it is good to eat every 2-3 hours to get metabolism up. so i had  granola with flax seed, fresh stawberries, and almond milk. Oh and coffee with coconut oil in it.

Now off to salon for hair, highlights and spray tan. Thanks for helping me. It is nice to know you are in this with others.

have a great day!

Lisa428
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:03 PM

Hey Mish,

Sounds like you are on the right path.  Daily exercise and getting your heart rate up is the key to success along with a low fat, low sugar diet.

Also, staying social and keeping your brain active will assist you in this endeavor.

Go Mish Go!! 

YOU can do it.

Thinking of you, Iris and me.  I am still dieting.  Would like to loose 20 more pounds.

Good Luck.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:26 PM

Mish and Lisa, it may be just the four of us who are actively losing weight.  Myriam already has lost 10, and I've lost a few.  Lisa has about 20 to lose.

We can continue to encourage and spur each other on. I just learned something about myself in regard to bingeing and depression because I was bingeing last night.  I always thought if I could just get control of the bingeing I could control my weight because my meals were healthy.  It was all that I ate in between the meals and at night that was the problem. 

Fortunately, I don't have my usual binge foods in the house so I had to binge on apples, raw peanuts and rice cakes.  It was late at night, after midnight.  Nevertheless, this was a victory, because there was a time in my life, not so far in the past, when I would have gotten dressed, gotten into the car, and driven to a 24-hour market to stock up on goodies.  Hallelulah, I'm not there any more!  I don't want to go back there!

The fall months are difficult for weight loss because there are big eating holidays coming up.  But we can make it!  Let's continue to encourage each other to eat healthfully and to be active!

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 9:59 AM

I cheated yesterday at dinner, I had nachos, but they were so good! I also had scallops. but today is a new day! going to exercise and not eat nachos! I have trouble also at night eating so I buy ff and sugar free snacks.  But it is hard watching tv and all those commercials with food that look so good! I have started to walk away during those times.

lets hang in there girls!

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 1:36 PM

It's Friday morning which is my weekly weigh-in time.  I'm down another lb. (YEA!)

In my younger days I could lose 2-3 lbs a week, but now I'm losing slower, 1/2 to 1 lb a week.  But I know I'm not exercising as vigorously as I used to in earlier years.
I have to be satisfired with this rate of weight loss.

Mish, I used to watch all the weight loss episodes on the tv talk shows.  One of the tips I learned from Dr. Phil is that in weight loss, don't eliminate a food, but find a substitute.  So instead of struggling to avoid nachos altoghether, you could think of how you could eat nachos but in a lower calorie or lower carb form. 

Other tips I learned from my weight loss class earlier this year and other places, is that a serving of a snack food is the size of my fist.  So I could eat a small handful of chips.  I used to eat no-salt tortilla chips.  I could eat regular tortilla chips by the bagful, but I got down to a handful at a time. 

Now I don't keep tortilla chips in the house.  If I go out and chips are served, I can get a handful of tortilla and potato chips with salsa and a TBS of guacomole, and be satisfied with that.  The idea is eat what I want to eat, enjoy it, and then stop.

I have learned to enjoy caramel flavored rice & corn cakes.  Nowadays, rice cakes come in many different flavors. I don't like all the flavors.  I'm happy with the flavor I do like, and I keep it in the house.

Mish, you said you had scallops for dinner.  Scallops are great!  Tasty, low calorie and low carb!  I love scallops.  They're easy to cook, too.
I also buy the bagged, frozen shrimp to eat.

You say you eat "ff" and sugar-free snack foods.   What is ff?  Fast food?

Watching tv IS a big challenge because the food looks sooo tasty in the commercials.  How can we resist?  They use professionals to get us craving their foods!  I don't watch the regular tv shows.  The few shows I do watch have fewer food commercials, more commercials for denture paste and hair loss products.

Very slowly, over the years, I have been accepting the understanding that weight control is a lifestyle change.  I have to make permanent changes in my eating habits.  Eating healthfully is a change I can make.

Iris L.

Lisa428
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2012 9:18 PM

Dear Iris and Mish,

You ladies are doing well.  Iris, ff food is fat free food, I think. Lf is low fat.

Like both of you I eat low fat/low sugar and fat free foods.  I've learned to read labels because many times some food may state low fat or low calorie of ff and it's NOT true. 

They disguise sugar and fats by using different names.  I'm sorry I can't recall any right now.

Keep up the good work.  I am still eating right and exercising.  It can get tough sometimes.  Like tomorrow I'm going on vacation for a week.

Please, keep me in your thoughts.  Y'all are in mine.

Keep Moving!

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:48 AM

Thanks for the explanation that  ff means fat free foods, Lisa.  I should have known that.

Eating healthfully can be a challenge, but we   can enjoy this challenge.

Speaking of enjoying, I hope you enjoy your vacation this week, Lisa.  An autumn vacation can be very pleasant, now that the blazing hot summer days are over. 

Savor your food and stay active!  Have a great time!

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 8:31 AM

yes, ff is fat free. my bad. I lost 2 pounds. jeans still tight but getting there. lol I did wii bowling the other night and that was fun. not alot of exercise but better than nothing. today is football day but no pizza for me! actually I plan on making homemade soup (its cool here) and turkey linquica and peppers.  I went to the craft show at the church yesterday and let me tell you those baked goods looked great!!!!!!!!!!!! but I just smiled and walked away. When I get a sweet craving I sometimes  put dark choc. ff and sugar free pudding with fresh cut strawberries. Its good! anyway I will go ride my bike today and work on this six pack -or lack of!

have a nice day

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:01 PM

2 lbs lost, good job, Mish!

One local senior center had a Wii demonstration once and I went and played all the games they had,  I really got a workout.  I can see how the Wii can be beneficial for people who don't get out. 

I like to make bean soup on Saturdays, so that's what I did yesterday.

Keep up the good work, mish!

Iris L

mish
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 8:34 AM

I love wii, havent done it in so long, (except the other day) I need to start again. I think today I might do some boxing on wii.  My breathing has been really bad, i guess my asthma has gotten worse, this inhaler needs to be increased or changed. I would like to walk around down the beach but once I had a creepy guy come by a few times to me and that got me nervous. One side is all water and the other  houses but alot of times people aren't home. Oh well. I will think of something.

Energy is weird, sometimes I get up with energy and then it slowly goes down, down, down. Then I am beat. Does this happen to anyone? Or how can I change it? stinks getting old!   Iris you are great! thanks for everything!

I just saw a  commercial with eggs, bacon and toast but I turned it off. I will settle for oatmeal and fresh fruit. I have egg beaters and turkey bacon but I don't think that will cut. lol  

good luck

mish
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 10:52 AM

ok, didn't do boxing i did zumba for 20 ,minutes and OMG am i out of shape! but it was fun to listen to the music and dance. and sweat ALOT!  and a sald with tuna for lunch, no mayo- i am allergic to it. this weight loss stuff stinks!  but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Iris L.
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2012 3:28 PM

mish wrote:

stinks getting old!  

Mish, I write in a journal most mornings and today my entry was to entitle this upcoming phase of my life:  "DON'T GIVE UP!  THE BEST IS YET TO BE!"

I wrote this about 15 min before I read your post.  I feel like it has taken me 62 years for everything I have experienced and learned to come together at this point in time.  I used to be enthusiastic and happy for each morning to come.   I felt like I had a future.  I always had something to look forward to, even though I did not think that deeply.  That's just the nature of youth.

It got harder when I got older because I wondered, "what's left?"  Especially after I was given a dementia diagnosis by my geriatrician two years ago.  I fell into a deep depression.  But now I'm fighting the depression, step by step. 

I decided if I have dementia, I'm going out like a winner!  I'm not going to let it defeat me!    I'm going to live my best life and be in control!

Yesterday I was wondering, what's the point of eating low carb foods and exercising so much?  Well, the point is to have a better life!  I'm going to enjoy my silver years!  I've lived too long for my life to be a mess now.

It's not easy, but it's worth the effort to feel better.  I was in a crisis five years ago.  I had no energy and couldn't do anything but didn't know why.  Now I know why, and I am actively working to feel and do better.  I'm very happy I'm not where I was five years ago, and that I'm not dead.  There's more for me before I breathe my last.

P.S.  I love eggs and turkey bacon--tasty!

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:17 AM

when I was first dx'd I felt like and still do at times, why worry so much about food, weight, looks, etc.  Life is too short. Then as times goes by and I realize that while yes I do have this -I am still young (kinda) and I need to do things to make me feel good, inside and out. I think I can still eat what I want but not all the time. Like you said Iris, there are also substitutes. And also a balance. I can't eat chicken parm, cheesecake, etc. all the time but I can still eat them sometimes. I decided to pick one day a week - a cheat day- to eat what I have been craving. Not go nuts all day, its not a free pass, but in moderation. This way I won't think about all the stuff I could go for then pig out!  I think I will be less likely to slip.

Well tthe zumba kicked my butt yesterday.  So today I will do something less intensive. maybe the bike or pilates.

I did journal today, believe it or not! I got really freaked out this am   and needed to vent. It helped. Thanks for being there.

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:35 PM

mish wrote:

-I am still young (kinda) and I need to do things to make me feel good, inside and out. I think I can still eat what I want but not all the time. 

I decided to pick one day a week - a cheat day- to eat what I have been craving. Not go nuts all day, its not a free pass, but in moderation. This way I won't think about all the stuff I could go for then pig out!  I think I will be less likely to slip.

Mish, even an older person, like me, still needs to do things to make her feel good, inside and out.  As long as you think of eating the foods you like as "cheating", you will continue to struggle. 

I used to be a compulsive eater and would and could eat everything sweet.  I ate more healthful foods, but slowly the sweets edged out the healthful foods.  I got to a point in 2011 where I was eating no food at all, but all pastries and candy!  I told myself, I can't go on like this!

I still ate the sweets, but forced myself to eat fresh fruit--an apple, an orrange, a peach, berries, grapes--still sweet, but not processed.  I then began to add small servings of vegetables.  I ate small servings of plain cooked chicken or turkey.  I ate veggie burgers. 

Slowly but surely I began eating more nutritious, whole and fresh foods that I already knew to be delicious.  I feel better in my body.

The craving for the sweets began to diminsh.  I still have a taste for sweets, but I don't have a craving for them.  When I eat sweets I think of the sugar surging through my veins and the saturated fat clogging up my arteries. 

Last weekend I went to a birthday party.  I ate a small portion of all the entrees (barbecued ribs and chicken) and side dishes.  I ate half slices of two pies, cobbler, and cake, plus a regular slice of birthday cake plus homemade ice cream.  I enjoyed every bite.  The next day I went back to my regular eating without cravings.  I still lost weight on my weigh-in day.

Mish, I want you to succeed and feel good.  Eat foods you enjoy eating.  Eat foods that nourish your body and your brain.  You'll feel great!

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:14 AM

iris- that sounds good.  I like the way you think. I guess i always think of sugarey foods - and greasey fattening foods as "cheating" - I think it stems from modeling and always having to be/look a certain way. I need to re-wire my thought process.  I am glad you  also had a nice time at the b-day party. homemade ice cream?  I wonder if thats hard to make.

yesterday I wa so sore. It hurt to laugh. I could only do  alittle pilates, thank God today I am not so sore so I can do some dancing but not zumba! what was i thinking! lol

I don't eat red meat. I always buy turkey or chicken meat, linguica, sausage, etc.  Like I said, it is hard to stay away from the app's and clam cakes, lobster bisque, ... when you have it so close to you and its so good.  but like you said  and I think also, everything in moderation. I love fresh fruits and veggies. have them all the time. (except some veggies, beets, peas, YUCK!)  but the rest I am cool with.

I need to get out more and do stuff. I tried volunteering at the ass. but I got bored to tears putting stickers on pamplets. I needed toothpicks to keep my eyes open. So today I am filling out an application for a womans center. More my thing. I like helping people and one on one- not stickers.  

well I just went off on a tangent/

anyway. thanks again!

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:17 AM

Mish, I walked 30 min yesterday afternoon.  I like walking, but I feel stiff all over afterwards.  Well, I'm still keeping it up.  I have new stretching exercises to do.

I never liked beets, since I was a child.  But a few years ago, I told myself I was too old to let childhood dislikes stop me.  So I tried some of my friend's beets at a restaurant.  Wow, I liked them!  Now I eat beets if they are offered at a restaurant or a buffet.

The biggest challenge for me is eating salads out of the home.  Most restaurants serve salads very cold, and I like salads closer to room temperature.  But I've been eating salads every day lately!  Eating and enjoying!

Good luck at your volunteer place.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 12:16 PM

Today is Friday, my weekly weigh-in day.  I'm down another lb.  Yippee!

I'm happy I'm still on track. I'm down 12 lbs since June.  I losing at a snail's pace and I feel discouraged at times.  I looked back over my calendar to see how far I've come. 

I still feel like I am caught between two worlds--the healthy eating world and the eat what you want and enjoy world.  I eat the healthy foods but I feel bored, because my choices are limited.  But I'm not bingeing and I'm losing weight.  So I'm satisfied with this.

I'm still walking for exercise, even though I don't care for it.  I used to love to walk.  I used to take long walks and loved to get a good rhythm going.  I had no pain.  Today I deal with subacute pain when I walk. 

I've lost weight before easily and I've lost weight under duress.  This time I'm losing weight under duress,.  The only thing that keeps me going is that I know that eating better and exercise will help my brain.  I keep thinking of the little mouse in the swimming tank in the HBO documentary.  The exercised mouse was able to regain his memory.  Perhaps what helped the mouse will help me.

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2012 3:46 PM

Wow, iris,

Congratulations. The experts say that the way you are doing is the way to go. A fast loss tends to bounce back up. You are slowly changing your life style.

You are such a great role model. Determined to do everything you can to beat this AD or whatever down! 

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:14 PM

Mimi S. wrote:

The expertay that the way you are doing is the way to go. A fast loss tends to bounce back up. You are slowly changing your life style.

Thanks, Mimi.  I don't know how much I am changing my lifestyle.  I've lost the same 25-30 lbs FIVE times in the past 17 years. 

I always managed to go back to my regular eating which included celebratory eating, aka bingeing.  I don't want to go back there, but I'm fearful of regressing.

I like to eat healthfully, but I find it boring after several months.

But for now I'm making progress. 

Iris L.

Mimi S.
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:55 PM

Of course. Now, what can you do with those fingers except eat. Take up knitting?
Lisa428
Posted: Sunday, October 21, 2012 5:57 PM

Hi Mish andd Iris (Mimi too),

I am back from vacation.  I had a wonderful time.  Did gain 1 pound but that's ok.  I ate pretty much what I wanted just in small portions.

Sounds like y'all are doing great.  Keep up the good work.

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 4:34 PM

I'm glad you had a great vacation, Lisa.  I love to eat new foods and special vacation foods.  It's great that you came back with only 1 lb gained.  I have gone away on vacation and gained 1 lb a week!

Small portions of everything is the way to go.  Good for you, Lisa!

Mimi, thanks for reminding me about the knitting.  Many years back, on my first diet at age 16, the way I kept my hands busy and avoided snacking was by knitting.  I'm glad you refreshed my memory about that. 

It's the only activity I can do that prevents me from eating.  I can snack using the computer because I use only one hand using the mouse.

Now I just have to look for my knitting needles.

Last night I went to Souplantation.  I usually have several (5-6) muffins and two to three bowls of soup, and pizza and spaghetti and ice cream.  Last night I had two plates of salad and one bowl of vegetable soup, only one muffin, and a small bowl of ice cream.  I'm proud of myself.  I didn't feel stuffed when I left like I usually do.

Mish, how are you doing?  I haven't heard from you in a few days.

Best wishes to everyone this week on their eating plans! 

Iris L.

mish
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:13 AM

i am ok, been depressed lately.  got to get out of this funk.  I have been doing the bike- sun. one hour on the bike, yesterday half an hour. Today I havent decided what to do. dance maybe? I have just been sleeping like crap  and just in a funk.  I have no idea about weight loss. havent gone on the scale. I might make myself get going and go out somewhere. people watch in the mall maybe. I am so glad Lisa is back and you have been doing so good Iris.  there are alot of arts and craft fairs out there to give you ideas. good luck.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:50 PM

Mish, sorry to hear you are feeling depressed..  When I feel like this, I take it as a sign that I need more nurturing and rest.  I get more sleep and eat comfort food (soup and pudding).  I drink hot cocoa.

I watch feel-good tv shows.  I read very light feel-good stories and articles.  I have a folder.  I search for feel-good videos and music videos on youtube. 

I take long bubble baths. 

I also read the Archives to reconnect with members who are no longer here.  Many posts are uplifting.

I do everything I can do to refresh myself and allow the good feelings to resurface.

I've been struggling with depression for a long time.  I'm only just beginning to learn how to counteract depression.  It's doable.

I hope you are able to take steps to ease your depression.  Step-by-step.  You don't have to push yourself.  Take it easy, Mish! 

Iris L.

Lisa428
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:31 PM

Hi Mish and Iris,

Went back on my diet as of Sunday.  Doing ok lost the pound I gained on my vacation.  Yea!

Mish,

I am sorry you are feeling depressed.  Between Dementia and dieting sometimes depression can sneak in.

Please, try do to some things to off set the depression as Iris suggested.

Get out of the house.  Take a nice walk.  Call a friend.  Exercise more.

We are all battling depression.  Since I was diagnosed with EOAD/Younger Onset AD, I developed some depression and ate my life away.

I see a counselor about once a month.  She's great.  Helps me keep things in perspective.

Hang in there, Iris.  You're doing great!

Go team Go!

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

John50
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:56 PM

I had not read this thread until just now. I have to tell you mish, the motivation thing is my WHOLE problem. I know I need to exercise more and not eat some of the stuff I eat but it is so hard. Early in my diagnosis I actually got myself in the habit of going to the gym every day and I have to say I felt better then than I have most of my life but then I broke my ankle. I couldn't do much for quite some time and I have never gotten myself back to that place of feeling off if I don't work out since then. I really want to get there and I keep telling myself I am going to do it and then it just doesn't happen and then I feel bad that I can't seem to get it done. Maybe saying something here will help give me a little extra determination. It is worth a try. I have noticed that I have gained some weight lately and I know it is from late night binging. That is my worst enemy. I have to start somewhere on this so hopefully this might help me make some changes.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 11:22 AM

I wrote one reply and it got lost in cyberspace.  I'll try again.

John, I'm glad you will be joining our weight loss group.  We all can motivate each other.

I hope your ankle is back to normal.   It's hard enough to exercise when one's body is intact.

Iris L.

Lisa428
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 1:40 PM

Hi Mish, Iris and John,

Mish, I hope you are doing something about your depression.  I hope you are feeling better.

Iris,  Sounds like you are doing pretty well.  You're right.  We all need each other's support.

John, Welcome to our group.  I do understand the difficulty of staying motivated.  My motto is don't think too much about just do it.

That is how I stay motivated.  Along with putting a picture of myself on my Frig when I was looking good.

I waant to be as normal as posssible.  I finally realized that me being overweight was NOT normal for me.

I take one day at a time.  It's the only way I can do it.

Good luck to All,

Peace and Hope,

Lisa

Abuela
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:31 PM

I agree that you need to do this one day at a time.  If you 'fall off the wagon' just get right back on the next day and do not look back at yesterday.  Keep focused on the present and the goal that you have for that day.  

I do find that changing my routine helps a lot.  If I eat at night... I change to going to bed early and reading or writing in bed.  

If it is the before dinner binge... then I try to eat something healthy and get out of the kitchen for an hour.  

But truly, the motivation has to come to each in its own way.  

Hang in there all.  I hope that today was a good day for all of you.