RSS Feed Print
All of a sudden I had a flashback
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:12 AM

I play mah jongh online every night.  All of a sudden I had a flashback to when I was a little girl, about 7-9 years of age, playing Mille Bornes with my mom and my brother.  We were sitting around the dining room table after dinner, and just laughing, and having fun.  This memory has to be at least over 50 years ago.  My mom always loved board games and card games and we played a lot.

My brother hsd a birthday last week and I think I became in a nostalgic mood from thinking about him and all our birthdays when we were young.  Our parents tried to give us good birthdays, with kids coming over for games, pin the tail on the donkey, presents, and ice cream and cake.

I miss those days and wish I could go back for a day and see my folks who are now gone.  My father wasn't much for board games but he was home when we played.

I know the rememdy for pining away at the past is to make new memories for the present.  I don't seem to have the get up and go for such an undertaking.

Iris L.

Brezybev
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 1:40 AM

Iris,

I can totally understand. I've also recently come up with some very old memories. My father killed himself when I was 16. For years I could hardly remember what he really looked like. For the last 5 yrs or so I've been periodically having lucid dreams. I love them! I'm have total awareness that I'm dreaming and I can go right up to his face and check out every feature. I have to be careful because if I think too much, it will all disappear. Who knows? This may be caused by dementia, but I feel like it's a real blessing.  Bev                                                                                        

Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 2:09 PM

It is a blessing to remember old times, Bev!

Iris L.

alz+
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 11:03 AM

I am grateful for any GOOD memories as I was plagues by bad ones before dementia/alz.

Dreams and other visions would be an interesting topic.

Iris the loss of get and go is hard for me, but am sure your words on exercise will help me get back in pool to dance in water. Snow falls out the windows at local health club and I dance in water with sun shining . I hope I can do this as my ability to go for walks with my dog are becoming very short strided. What is that now?

Inching along.

I hope you enjoy lots of good flash backs and memories and dreams.

Geegee
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:30 AM

iris,  That is a wonderful memory.  I remember birthday parties like you described.  Times seemed simple in those days.

Did you share your memory with your brother?  Is he older or younger and what was his reaction to your description of the memories?

I am also feeling more and more connection with my past. It does make me wonder if this is a process of only getting older or if this is a process that is unique to brain deterioration from our related DX.

The brain and mind is so complex that I wonder if we will get an answer to this question.  There are many psychiatrists who spend their lives trying to comprehend the brain.

I only want to continue with the good memories of old.  oNE thing I have a little concern about is any bad memories or experiences that I have pushed back in my mind and cant recall. 

If something bad happened to me as a child, I hope my brain doesnt uncover that experience.  I hope we can all remember many good ones  

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 12:37 PM

Geegee, most of my memories from the past are good memories.  I only seem to remember something unpleasant or negative from the past if someone else brings it up, such as a therapist.  This is one of the many reasons I stopped going to therapists.

No, I didn't think to discuss this memory with my brother.  My birthdays were somewhat different from his.  For my birthdays I had parties--for his birthdays he had outings, such as going to Ice Capades.

Iris L.

Geegee
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 2:32 PM

You can share your memories with us anytime.  Some of us will be able to relate.

I remember that your brother lives across country from you.  Do you find you are missing him more as time goes by?  

I am an only child so I find I think about my parents more as time goes by.  Because I think of them, that sparks childhood memories.

Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 5:48 PM

Geegee, my brother and I have different interests.  He is still working, and plans on working for several years more.  He also has an active extracurricular life.  I have thought about this and I don't want to be in a position where I become a distraction in his life. 

I have a huge extended family that is scattered around the country.  I was one of the more adventurous ones in my family because I left the safety of the comfort zone and moved out west.  I still need to be free!

Iris L.

Geegee
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 7:33 AM

Iris, bloom where you are planted.  Enjoy your freedom as long  as possible.

Has anyone in your family been able to comprehend your struggles and your health?  

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 1:14 PM

Geegee, no one else in my family knows about what I am facing except my brother, and I told him over four years ago when I was first diagnosed.  They have their own medical issues.

Iris L.