RSS Feed Print
BLOG - Rick Phelps, Lost Time
The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Sunday, November 1, 2015 5:21 AM

I realize that there is a benefit of participating in numerous groups with others with dementia, and following a number of blogs as well.  Sometimes this gives a wider perspective on what people with Alzheimer's and dementia are thinking, feeling, and going through.  There are surprisingly few of us here in this forum, compared to other social media, and that can give a rather limited view of things.  I thought to share some blog posts so others can see and share in what others are experiencing of life with this disease. I hope you consider following their blogs. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://phelps2645.blogspot.com/2015/10/lost-time.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RickPhelps+%28Rick+Phelps%29

"I have had an issue with recognizing things for a couple of years now. What I am looking for can be right in front of me, but for whatever reason I do not recognize the object and keep looking for it until I just give up.

But lost time also effects the caregiver. I would bet on any given day, most caregivers lose two hours a day just looking for their loved one.

This doesn't mean they have wandered out of the house, or they are just gone, but the time you lose going from room to room just looking or checking on your loved one.

There isn't anything one can do to "fix" this as we all know but it is one of those things that you rarely hear about. Lost time.

I can be sitting in my recliner for what I think is just minutes, thinking, or just staring out the window but this in reality could be an hour, or more.

I have long lost the perception of time. I can still look at a clock and see what time it says, but I have no perception of say an hour, or ten minutes.

This too is a form of lost time for me and other dementia patients. This disease takes many things. In the end it takes everything, but in-between the precious time we lose can never be gotten back.

Some will think I have a lot more things to worry about in my day as a caregiver than to think about the time my loved one may be losing. But this is a very important part that dementia takes from a patient and especially in the early to mid stage one is still cognitive enough to know they are indeed losing time."