RSS Feed Print
BLOG - Kate Swaffer, Worrying about people with dementia
The_Sun_Still_Rises
Posted: Sunday, November 1, 2015 5:35 AM

I realize that there is a benefit of participating in numerous groups with others with dementia, and following a number of blogs as well.  Sometimes this gives a wider perspective on what people with Alzheimer's and dementia are thinking, feeling, and going through.  There are surprisingly few of us here in this forum, compared to other social media, and that can give a rather limited view of things.  I thought to share some blog posts so others can see and share in what others are experiencing of life with this disease. I hope you consider following their blogs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://kateswaffer.com/2015/08/27/worrying-about-people-with-dementia/

Worrying about people with dementia

"Worrying is normal for the person living alongside a person with dementia, and as a family care partner or support person for a few people who have died from dementia I understand too well how difficult it is not to worry. When you love someone, and they are sick or troubled, not only do you want to support and help them, you worry about them. All very normal.

What happens too often though, in the carer role of the person with dementia – paid service provider or a family/friend support person – is that the their worry can become the catalyst for taking away our life and our rights.

It is an important statement to make, and the catalyst for this blog. Too often in the caring role, paid and unpaid, we do things in the ‘persons best interests’, or to remove the danger of litigation if providing paid care. This is all too often at the risk of the human rights of people with dementia.

" Worrying is part of the territory… But don’t take your worry away, by taking their life away." (Peter Watt, 2015)

My husband and BUB said recently;

Locking people up who have mental illness is against the law, and cannot happen with out all sorts of legal sanctions needing to be met. Yet, we have, for many years, been locking people with dementia away ‘for their own good’. Even people in residential low care, with no risk of ‘escaping’ or ‘wandering’, are locked in for their own safety. And prior to going into residential aged care, they are told ‘this is your new home’. But a new home, and no front door key, the fine print that is actually missing in the marketing material.

People with dementia want to take risks, in the same way everyone else does, and until the later stages of dementia, when it really could be too risky, it is important to balance the worrying against the rights and life of the  person we are worrying about. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------