RSS Feed Print
the stigma of using cannabis for neurological symptom relief
alz+
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:12 AM

I am considering an attempt at a small booklet regarding how to get started using cannabis for Alzheimer symptoms.

There is so much reluctance and shame involved to people who never enjoyed cannabis previously.

One thing I learned from sharing my success story with it is most people will privately message me or email me to ask about it, and then have to hide it or endure disapproving looks or who knows what.

One thing that is helping thousands get over the idea it is some devil drug is that users have made many videos showing a person before and after, and I mean within minutes relief is demonstrated.

Show me a med that does that. 

If it is not for you, that is fine. If it works for you, please add your voice to those who are benefitting from it. There are new people in government now who want to stop the Medical Marijuana Movement.

Do your own research, don't think I am inventing this. 

Thank God my local doctor understand the results people around here are having with cannabis.

There are 2 types of CBD oil. One has high THC and one has very low THC. I got benefits from both but the LOW THC oil is used for children with seizures, autism, more and there is NO HIGH. You will not feel anything except that you can think and move within minutes. I did math for first time after starting oil.

I went on to use the HIGH THC oil which hits you like a hammer until you are used to it. You do NOT need the high THC oil to get help with functioning. I use it because it does help me sleep now and I no longer have any reaction to it as in being high or bombed like a bad drunk.

dispensaries are best as you can sample small amounts and find one that works best and get advice.

If you are interested go to youtube and search Cannabis Alzheimer's or Cannabis Parkinson's and watch other people take it and see what happens.

I do enjoy getting high, just like drinkers enjoy a beer after work. There is no shame in it. It will not improve your cognition like CBD oil but it make help you relax and sleep or go for a walk.

Because I am the only person posting about this, I may leave this as my last post about it.

there is Marinol which is a Pharma med which also helps but I have not tried it. 

You have a right to find something that works. It scares me that people are willing to end their lives over this illness and not willing to see how cannabis could give them a functional life for a long time.

julielarson
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:46 AM

I use Cannabis tincture and I am asked on forms for doctors if I use another substance as part of their over all finding out what I need from them before I see them.. Well I am not really happy with answering the question because many of them look down on people using cannabis even though it is legal in our state. I guess they look at it like alcohol but still it makes me uncomfortable to tell them I use it.. I have used it for the last three years with great success in treating anxiety and being able to sleep at night.. I do not know if it helps with my MCI or not but I am not willing to get off of it to find out. I am glad it works so well for you Alz..
BlueSkies
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:49 AM

Alz, so glad you posted this.
  I take low thc cbd oil.  It has helped me tremendously.  I improved so much when I started taking it.  Unfortunately I am limited at what I can take because of these stupid laws.  Medical marijuana or high thc cbd oil is not legal here in Alabama.  I am angry about that.  They can give me dangerous drugs, but I better not try nature's remedies with little to no side effects or I could go to jail.  It's absurd!  I got started with the oil when I saw the video of the son with his mom.  OMG, she was like a different person after.  She went from not recognizing her son to knowing him in minutes I think it was.  Amazing!  I do hope others who wouldn't normally, will at least try it.  I think they would be pleasantly surprised.  
Thanks again for posting and bringing this important subject up.

BlueSkies
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:54 AM

Yes Julie, I agree.  The stigma is ridiculous.  Most doctors still do not approve of using it, at least around here.  Glad it is helping you.
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:03 AM

An information booklet would be beyond wonderful. Thank you alz+
Dawn831
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:17 PM

I think it's a great idea. I would read your booklet! I don't have dementia but my mother did and we had her using cannabis (mostly high CBD or equal parts CBD/THC) and it did calm down her anxiety and aggression. I believe we waited a bit too long to try it and had we started sooner I think she would have benefited much more.  I was constantly searching the internet for information on cannabis for dementia and most of what I read was about using it as a preventative for dementia. There is just not that much out there for use to help with the existing symptoms. I think your experience would be very helpful for a lot of people. I am using high CBD tincture in an effort to prevent dementia. I have no way of knowing if it is helping to prevent dementia but I can say, without a doubt, that my anxiety is hugely helped with it and I think my memory is much better also. I also take a higher THC edible (chocolates, yum!) before bed to help me sleep and I sleep great and wake up very refreshed. Works much better than wine and no hangover! It's funny, before I started researching it for my mom, I was totally anti-marijuana. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine using it myself. I understand the stigma and hesitation to admit using it but I am a believer now.  

Alz+ I always look forward to your posts. You have a lot to share and it is definitely worth sharing.  

Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:03 PM

All I can say, alz+ is amen.  Thank you for carefully chronically your experiences and results with different forms of CBD oil.  
sandyjm
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 11:56 PM

Alz+

Please do not stop posting about this...you are one of the reasons that I am using cannabis for my Mom.

I give her a dropper full of CBD oil with 3 drops of a THC tincture ( this is not the strength of what you use) in her Boost nutrition drink every morning. I've been doing this for months now.

It has seemed to help her focus and curb anxiety.  

We have recently had a surge of sun downing with the " want to go home" .... And nothing I am trying seems to calm her anxiety.... I am considering giving her another dosage early afternoon. 

That's my update...I don't post often anymore...but try to scan quickly and caught this one.

I would LOVE the booklet...this kind of information is almost impossible to come by.

Thank you for being here and sharing !

Sandy

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 1:26 AM

This is why I call us Dementia Pioneers.  We are figuring out for ourselves what helps us. We are not wallowing in misery.  We may not find the cure, but we are working on whatever helps us live better!  

Iris L.

Unforgiven
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 8:16 PM

Cannabis has bedn used as a medicine since Biblical times, and it's only the influence of Big Tobacco that has created the legal bysteria over its us in our country.  The onlybreason it is a Schedule IV drug is so Richard Nixon could have a quasi-legal excuse for rauding the homes of syspected Black Panthers.  It's time we realized that it has uses in neurological conditions, and outlawing it causes more harm than the substance ever did.

Speaking from my experience in the previous Millennium, it never got me any higher than alcohol.  There should be no stigma when people use it to improve their quality of life.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2017 6:24 AM

I think there have been studies, or are ongoing studies, on medical marijuana and AD ... vague, but I think they were/are on symptoms like depression, anxiety and not disease modification. I use modern medication to treat those symptoms which are controlled and paid for by insurance. I am not surprised it can help but in the end what is cheaper if you have drug insurance pays for it. I don’t think they pay for it that I am aware of it.  I would like to try it but illegal here.  

Jen Tilton
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 2:46 PM

I am desperate to read your booklet -- or to get advice from anyone on this list about dosage. My mom is struggling with anger, agitation (sometimes hitting) in the day program that gives me and my dad time away from care taking. We have been experimenting with dosages but are operating blind. We're in CA so can get anything legally. Some questions I have are:

Is pure CBD from Hemp good at all? Or do I need to try the 20:1 CBD/THC from a dispensary?

What dosage should we be trying? I hear anything from a drop (which could mean anything) to 30 mg twice a day. What range is good to try?

Does anyone have experience combining Depakote with CBD? I know there's some research saying they may interfere -- but also may work ok in combination. 

So hard to figure out the right dosage or get good advice.

Thanks for the community.

Jen

Mimi S.
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 3:10 PM

yes, Michael. Unfortunately when PA legalized medical pot, dementia was not included. Hopefully, the need to include relief for dementia will be recognized.
jfkoc
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:44 PM

Minn. has just added Alzheimer's to its medical marijuana list.
alz+
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:43 AM

In some legal states the producers of CBD oils are not allowed to reference any particular disease on the label or doseage. Many people who work in dispensaries  watch customers use the oil and the customers share what worked for them or the person they care for and this is how they advise others.

The tinctures from dispensaries are different from hemp oil in a few ways. If the hemp oil works, no unwanted side effects, and that is all you can get, that is your answer. Just observe if it works in an obvious way. You don't have to build up over days, it will work and startle you with the difference in you or your person behaving, speaking more normally. Often dramatic difference.

You know it works when you are in bed and can't move, much less get up and dress yourself etc, you take the oil and 10 minutes later you are dressed in kitchen grinding coffee beans. Yes, it is like this. Watch "Ridiing with Larry" videos and other videos on youtube. I esp like to watch the young people who bring oil to grandparents in nursing homes and record the person getting out wheel chairs, eating on their own, smiling, talking again.

My analogy about the oil and how it works is to think of it like putting gas in an empty gas tank of your car. If you run out of gas doing anything else will not make the car run. You can rebuild the engine and buy new tires but you need fuel in the tank.

Cbd oil acts like fuel. The time it takes to work is usually less than 30 minutes, for me it is under 5 minutes. However you have to refill the tank, it has not cured me but allows me to live again. I have to eat again, you have to refill your car's gas tank.

My experience:

I took a dose twice a day when I started, morning and night. When afternoons began to drag into iffy I added a dose at mid day. When I began to have less "results" I increased my dose by a few drops at each serving.

The ratio of cbd:thc 

for me - if  problem inability to function, I take a tincture that is high cbd low thc

If problem is anxiety, anger, raging, insomnia I use high thc and low cbd

If crisis use smokable indica strain of cannabis. Two puffs could end it in less than 5 minutes.

(had road trip from hell where I raged for days, this was before and HOW I learned cannabis and Alzhimer's are a love match) I was given a little pipe with purple Kush. A couple puffs ended my travel rage in minutes. (If it had not ended when it did I would have been put on psyche ward and given anti psychotics which are deadly to my ability to function) halleluia

If a person is troubled - esp late afternoons - consider they are "hungry" and "feed" them another dose. Obviously if you are going to give it yourself just use as needed. Giving a lot more did not bring more results so I go with lowest dose that works.

Oil in morning might help a person be able to dress themselves and wash dishes or go for a walk.

In earlier stages of ALZ - oil in the morning might make difficulties doing your job easier, a lot easier. Feeling "normal again" easier.

the cost of a 15 ml bottle of oil is around $40 where I shopped in California. A bottle lasts me 20 - 30 days.

as my disease progressed I increased number of drops in each dose and number of times a day I take it. when I wake up, late morning, early afternoon, late afternoon. In evening, and again before sleep I use the high THC lower CBD and I sleep for hours, sometimes 6 hours straight, even if I have to let dog out and go back to sleep I can.

I take a cbd oil with high thc:cbd ratio more often now because of creeping panic and anger. (When I am raging I can sometimes say to person getting the lashing "I don't even mean what is coming out of my mouth" before continuing on. I'm not sure it is rage as we think of rage aimed at someone, but some chemical cascade  or seizure, I no longer judge the yelling insults etc as aggression or hate).  

warning about thc and being "high":

The high thc oil could potentially feel like being stoned. It is sometimes pleasant for me, sometimes not. The few times I took too much I knew to just stay in bed and relax while the woozy feeling played itself out.

I did not know edibles were meant to be eaten one bite = serving so I ate a really delicious muffin all at once. My daughter was present and told me to stop staring at her eyebrows. My eyes were locked, I could not move. She discovered what I had done and got me into bed. I could not move, there was a lot of flowing colors, it was a little creepy but I went to sleep and woke up 6 hours laters feeling like I had a great vacation. Never over did it again though!

Start low, you can add drops an hour later until you find the lowest amount that works.

Giving more after a certain point does not seem boost the effect. Giving more just makes me run out of oil sooner. You have to experiment.

cbd with low thc - for function, abilities, speech, calculating

cbd with high thc - for calming, travel, sleep.

be careful if you get candy or bakery because someone might eat too much.

Share your experiences here please to help others.

alz+
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 6:47 AM

I worked on this above info for some time. corrected grammar and stuff, guess that is my pamphlet.

this is a life changing discovery and that is very slowly spreading to people who suffer from neurological illnesses and their caregivers.

who would not want the person they take care to sleep all night?

Others have told me smoking cannabis lifted the despair that can grow large, suicidal despair levels evened out.

forgot what I was going to end with. oh well

love and courage

alz+
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:24 AM

Just took morning oil and remembered what I wanted to say:

Went to cardiologist a few weeks ago for check up and he said, "You seem different, what's new?"

I could think of nothing so we went on with exam and stuff, and then I said "Oh I am taking CBD oil."

He gave me a big smile and put his hands on his head. "Every day I have patients telling me  how much CBD is helping them."

I asked "Helping with what?"

He said, "getting off opiods, panic and anxiety attacks, blood pressure lowered, all kinds of things."

I was released then from having to come back for anxiety related heart rhythm stuff.

My country doctor is also big fan, her patients using it for diabetes blood sugar control and high blood pressure, arthritis pain, get off opiods, ptsd etc.

Time to get out of bed.

feudman
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 10:28 AM

Thank you, Alz+.

You folks in the states that have legalized it 100% (for "recreational" use) can use it for whatever ailment you choose...the rest of us, if in a "medical cannabis" state, can only get it prescribed for the "approved" uses in our respective states. I'm trying to understand why the list of uses varies so much from state to state. 

Every state has a serious crisis with opioid addiction. Why would they deny its use for these folks, as Minnesota just did?