RSS Feed Print
When things happen to us
llee08032
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 7:03 AM

It took me a while to process what happened and what lead up to me having to pay a$190 tow fee. I got stuck in my car for over an hour and half on my way to work yesterday post nor-easter. Every road I drove had a tree down and I kept having to u-turn and reroute. When I came up on the 5 th tree I noticed tire tracks on the side of the road where someone had gone around the tree. I tried the same thing and immediately got stuck! As I was sitting in my car with tires sunk in mud and snow I realized that those tire tracks were probably from a tractor. For fifteen or 20 minutes I tried to get unstuck w/o further digging in to no avail. 

-The first call I made was to my friend and co-worker. I was going to ask her to look up the non emergency number for the police. 

-I left my smart phone on the coffee table and only had a basic cell phone w/o any features.

-M friend didn't answer the phone and later I realized that I had forgot that she was at a funeral.

-I finally called the emergency number for the police.

To be continued...

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 12:51 PM

Ooooh; I can only imagine how awful for you.  I am waiting for the next chapter in this distressing adventure with bated breath . . . .

J.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 2:09 PM

What a nightmare!  Here's to safer traveling today!

{{{{{{{{ Ilee }}}}}}}}

Iris L.

eaglemom
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 6:06 PM

My goodness, what a headache this has been. Snow, mud, ice, tow truck - not good at all.

Waiting for the continuation.......

eagle

Jo C.
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2018 8:51 PM

May you be home, warm, curled up with an afghan and your furry friend and be snug as a bug in a rug . . . . . thinking of you.

J.

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 9:19 AM

-while waiting for the police i kept sipping on my large cup of coffee.

-the police arrived 15 minutes later

- they were very nice but told me all they could do was order me a tow

-one of the officer's asked me about insurance roadside assistance

-I could not remember where insurance info was?

-the police ordered me a tow

-about 15 minuted into waiting for the police ordered tow I realized insurance info was in the glove compartment

-I called my insurance and they said my complimentary tow could be there in an hour

-while on the phone I realized I had to pee really, really bad and told insurance co I could not wait for an hour

llee08032
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 9:32 AM

-did I mention I couldn't get out of my car because I was so deep in the mud and snow?

-long story short no major damage and I'm okay

-Topic change: When things happen to us it's different

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 11:34 AM

I hope you were able to take Jo's idea and snuggle up with your furbaby and an afghan and a hot toddy of your choice.  Yes, things are different for us.  We have to become like  Scouts and be prepared.  Every year our newspaper publishes tips for driving in inclement weather.  It includes the use of chains on the tires for snow country.  

I'm glad the police came out for you. Once I had an accident in VA, and called the police, but they did not come out.  Fortunately, the car was able to be driven, and we were able to make it to a service station that was open.  I avoid snow country now.

You are home now, but if this were to happen again, do not run the engine if the exhaust pipe might be obstructed, because carbon monoxide can come into the vehicle.  This happened to a homeless family who were sleeping in their car and running the engine for heat.

I pay for AAA Plus so that I am allowed 100 miles of towing if needed.  I keep my AAA card in my wallet, right next to my driver's license.  I hope the roads will be clear by Monday, and I hope that you can rest and recover from that adventure, Ilee.

Iris L.

eaglemom
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2018 2:05 PM

Ditto what Iris said.

eagle

Jo C.
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 8:25 AM

So glad you are safe and well . . . . and it is true; it IS different for PWD.   I can only imagine trying to process everything that was happening, interact with the police officers, and come up with the information for your insurer.

AND having a bladder ready to explode while under heightened stress not to mention dismay at the unintentioned self-induced problem, while already having stress secondary to recent medical concerns.  Gads!

Had I known your were stuck, I would have sent out a Saint Bernard with a fully filled cask of happy juice.  Ha!  As if.

Iris gives great advice.  I too keep my auto insurance card next to my driver's license; makes it easier so I do not have to fumble and bumble through my wallet that is filled with all sorts of cards for all sorts of things.   

Also, the advice to NOT run your engine when backed up in snow is extremely important.  It the tailpipe is blocked from behind, a person cannot see that and it lets carbon monoxide into the vehicle; it cannot be smelled, but it does kill.

In the winter,  as I am sure you already know, it is best to carry a warm blanket or solar blanket in the car along with some water and nutrition bars for that "just in case" incident happens. 

Enough of that; I am just so glad you are okay, but am so sorry you had to go through all of that.  I can just see your Guardian Angel with her halo askew and her robe a bit singed from flying so fast to be sure the officers and tow truck got to you sooner rather than far later.  

Hug and warm, warm thoughts for our lee who is in cold country,

J.

llee08032
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2018 9:27 AM

Never thought of the tailpipe being blocked! I always keep insurance info in glove dept but could not think of it until it was too late. Have snuggle in back of car in case of break down or someone out in cold. Thank you for understanding. So glad that's behind me.  
llee08032
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 7:23 AM

It is really different when things happen to us. This week I got a letter from the SSA (Social Security Administration) about my estimated benefits for retirement. Disappointing to say the least. I got the same letter last year. I thought there was a mistake in my earnings and I was trying to figure out what earnings could possibly be missing from my record and trying to remember my early work history. I never did get to the bottom of that but I began googling about SSD. Something came up about spousal survivor benefits and I started another more specific search on the topic.

While looking up the information the realization set in that I forgot about being eligible for my late husband's SSD benefits and that I could have applied for his benefits when I was 60 years old and have  extra income while I'm still working. I'm going to be 63 next month. I'm trying not to get upset with myself, feel stupid but I am definitely feeling like I'm out of the loop with life.

I'm really struggling with working and trying to save for retirement and here I could have been saving that extra money all along. This may sound like a little blip to someone of more means but for me it could mean the new HVAC system or roof that I need.

Something is wrong and I can't edit post. I have an appointment at SSA in August.